Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I GAIN weight on the primal diet?? page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Can I GAIN weight on the primal diet??

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here, and quite new to the concept of eating like Grok. I've been reading the articles for a few weeks and looking at the great feedback, and logic, behind it all I decided to go primal! So far, so good.

Now I didn't jump in at the deep end and stop with all the grains and gluten, but I haven't touched bread or pasta for two or three weeks, and I'm doing a lot better for it. I'm eating more salad, meat and vegetables than before, and hopefully I'll be cutting out rice before long as well.

The thing is I have a quick metabolism, and even on the high carb diet I was underweight (5'10" - 125 lbs). But now I've given up the grains I'm concerned that I'll be even lighter.. the last thing I want. Is there any way I can keep my weight around 125, or even put some on and keep it, on the primal diet? And if my body gets fewer calories than it expects, might my metabolism eventually adapt, and slow down?

Thanks for reading!

Grok is offline Senior Member
    It's not a "diet", its a life-style which includes exercise. Yes, absolutely you can gain weight, simply download Mark's Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Eat lots of Primal fats, proteins and carbs. If you're one of those primal folks who needs to eat a moderate amount of carbs to prevent weight loss, eat things like sweet potatoes, other starchy vegetables and some fruit.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Eat more. Simple.

Avarim is offline Member
    Im am 56, 115 lbs male...Ive been primal for about 7 month now (although I drop wheat & sugar almost 4 yrs ago), although Im underweight (and lost some more lbs on primal) I have good muscle definition (think underweight bruce lee LOL)...relying on fats to reach my calorie intake just didnt make me (& my tummy) feel ok. I upped my starch with potatoes, sweet potatoes & now white rice...it has definitely made a huge difference on how I feel & look, my muscles are growing, sleeping better & my stomach doesnt rumble as much as it did when I depended on fat for calories.
    In the end I can only recommend you to experiment with yourself, some succeed on fats others on carbs (seems protein is always moderate-high depending on the case).

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm good for exercise at the moment. I'm doing lots of short hikes and bike rides, and I've been logging the mileage since February, so I can keep track of progress and try to do a little more next year (also using resistance bands). I'm open to new tips and ideas about exercise but for the meantime I'm focusing more on the primal diet. That's where I have to make up ground. I'll get more of the fats and try out some new potato dishes. Simply eating more food won't be easy though as I'm on a limited budget. Maybe the plus side to grains is their price.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Look at MalPaz blog and/or posts. She already gained 20+ lbs, one of the most impressive primal success stories in my opinion.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Invest in a coconut milk and egg farm. Buy stock in alkavadlo's website. Limit cardio. Do a shit-ton of bodyweight exercises. Get a weight vest. You are going to have to eat...a lot.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Dairy will make you big, so have a lot of it (if you can handle it, that is). Hit the sweet potatoes and fruit. Lift weights.

Many people here have a lot of weight to lose. Do not try to mimic their food plan. They are different from you and have different carb requirements. Hang out in the athletes' room to see what they are eating; you'll find it's different from the main board.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Dairy will make you big, so have a lot of it (if you can handle it, that is). Hit the sweet potatoes and fruit. Lift weights.
    Dairy alone will not make you big. Eating more than you need to eat to sustain your current weight will though.
    I wish people wouldn't target foods like that. There is nothing wrong with moderate amounts of dairy in the diet (unless you are lactose intolerant).

As SteakNchop said: Eat more. If you lift weights, increasing your strength as you go, you'll likely gain mass too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast