Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For all the ladies.... page

muaythaiNEZ:) is offline Junior Member

Post For all the ladies....

Primal Fuel
    Ladies (and gents with knowledge on hormones )

Just got lab results back and found out my progesterone is LOW and plateauing through the month with no peak, hence i havent had my cycle over the past few months! I do have PCOS (diagnosed in feb) but had regular periods before i started over exercising and undereating (dammit lol)

Anyone had low progest and managed to increase and/or possible get cycles back. im paying a fortune in trying to get to the bottom of this and would really appreciate any advice or comments.

Thanks in advance

Nez xxx

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    You can ask your OB to put you prometrium for low progesterone. I believe low prog can cause wicked mood swings during your cycle, but others will be able to answer more on the topic.

NDF
    NDF is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaiNEZ:) View Post
    I do have PCOS (diagnosed in feb) but had regular periods before i started over exercising and undereating (dammit lol)
    Do the reverse of what caused you to lose your cycle - increase your calories and stop overexercising.

It's a fix. And it's free

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how it is in the UK, but in America, allopathic doctors don't know jack about balancing hormones. Gotta see a naturopath to get it all straightened out (which is what I am doing). Hopefully, your docs are more enlightened on your side of the pond.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaiNEZ:) View Post
    Ladies (and gents with knowledge on hormones )

Just got lab results back and found out my progesterone is LOW and plateauing through the month with no peak, hence i havent had my cycle over the past few months! I do have PCOS (diagnosed in feb) but had regular periods before i started over exercising and undereating (dammit lol)

Anyone had low progest and managed to increase and/or possible get cycles back. im paying a fortune in trying to get to the bottom of this and would really appreciate any advice or comments.

Thanks in advance

Nez xxx
    When you say that you're not having your cycle do you mean that you're not menstruating or not ovulating? I ask that because it's more likely that you're not ovulating as having no mestruation is a direct result of not ovulating. Before ovulation, both estrogen and progesterone increase (estrogen much more so but progesterone must reach a certain level) and that causes ovulation to occur. After ovulation progestrone continues to rise to it's highest level through the rest of your cycle. It then decreases along with estrogen and that is when mestruation occurs 11-16 days after ovulation as the body prepares to start the process all over again. However, what happens when your are stressed (which could easily be caused by over exercising or undereating because it puts your body in a "fight or flight" mode) is your mind says "you're not in any condition to be pregnant" so you don't ovulate (due to estrogen and progesterone staying to low). No ovulation = no menstruation. This happened to my wife when we were getting married because she was stressed out of her mind and underweight due to undereating due to the stress. Her progesterone was low as a result and her cycle was all crazy. She didn't ovulate and then menstruate for almost 2 months. I'm guessing that the over exercising and undereating is the main culprit because it's putting your body in a state of stress and causing you not to ovulate. Make sure you're eating enough and are at a healty weight for your body and make sure you're not overexercising. I will also say that if you're on chemical birth control that could also be part of the problem because those pills mess up your hormones like crazy.

And yes, I am a guy - some of use do know our hormones. I didn't even go into the Luteinizing Hormone or the Follicle Stimulating Hormone put out by the pituitary gland. My wife and I are certified instructors in the Billings Ovulation Method. Hope that helps!
    Strength and Honor

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Do the reverse of what caused you to lose your cycle - increase your calories and stop overexercising.

It's a fix. And it's free
    tell it like it is, I LIKE!!!!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Grizz put one some good links about PCOS recently, linking it to fatty liver problems. Coconut oil was supposed to help, and avoiding corn oil was critically important.

Wish I'd known that when I was younger. I did find once that after I had a few doses of a liver tea recipe my sister sent me that for the first time in my life (I was in my late 40's) my periods were nearly regular. And they stayed regular without having more of the tea, which was a real eye-opener.

Progesterone is not like estrogen. Nature is full of varying estrogens and estrogen-like compounds, but there's only one form of progesterone in nature. It's present in all forms of animal life, and both sexes, just in varying amounts. Hence it can't be patented, and you can get it as a cream in a grocery store (well, in the U.S.) Using anything but this one form of progesterone is a terrible idea. (Been there, done that.) A gynecologist prescribed a "progestin" for me (really, AGAINST ME) after my cycle was all messed up (eternal period) due to trying to be macrobiotic (i.e. eating the damned tofu). "Progestins" are progesterone which has been ruined in various ways by pharmaceutical companies in order to make it patentable, and hence, more expensive and also laden with side effects. This practice is an offense against every woman it has been done to. Don't be one of them!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I work in a lab at Emory that studies progesterone and neuroprotection. Knowing how important it is, I am glad (very glad) that you're eager to fix this.

First, I'd agree with the recommendation that the fix, in your case, is simply to stop doing what you did that caused you to loose your cycle. Quit undereating and overexercising Your cycle will return.

How primal are you? What are you eating? What supplements are you taking? Do you know your 25(OH)D?

How are the following markers responding to your primal and sugar free diet?
    ~ body fat
    ~ body fat distribution
    ~ weight
    ~ blood sugar (it would be worth tracking)

How is your sleep? Exercise? How much of each?

[on an essentially unrelated note: fatty liver is super easy to fix....PCOS is trickier. Correlation ≠ causation etc etc.]
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-29-2010 at 03:05 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

NDF
    NDF is online now Senior Member
    Cillakat: I have read that underweight women should increase bodyfat to at least 20%. Do you happen to know the recommended bodyfat level for women with HA?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Cillakat: I have read that underweight women should increase bodyfat to at least 20%. Do you happen to know the recommended bodyfat level for women with HA?
    With HA? I dont' think you mean hyaluronic acid which is where my brain is going....

ETA: Hyperandrogenic? I don't know. But I suspect it's in that 19-20% range.

K
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-29-2010 at 03:52 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast