Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacne & Paleo page

mug2k is offline Member

Bacne & Paleo

Primal Fuel
    I just wondered if there are any seasoned PB veterans that have seen their bacne/acne decrease or disappear at all since they started ?. With the healthier eating and weightlifting I'm doing I think it'll be wasted a little because I'm too self conscious to take my shirt off so going to the beach or simply going swimming is too scary a prospect for me.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I have a lot less, still a couple of spots with my cycle, but otherwise almost none, and I used to break out a lot on my back. It has to be the new WOE--I've been really active before, and it hasn't changed it, but the new diet seems to make all the difference. Funny when you consider that so many people blame acne on fat intake!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I've never had real acne, but there were spots, especially on my back. And now there aren't. I did notice that after three days in succession eating cheese sauce in a main meal, my chin's a bit on the spotty side. I used to eat far more dairy pre-primal - rarely touch it now except for homemade yoghourt.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf, on his podcast, attributes acne to inflammation caused by dairy. Gives anecdotal evidence of reduced acne after embracing a strict paleo diet.

BethanyK is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if getting enough vitamin D helps with acne. I notice that my skin is generally clearer when I am getting sufficient D.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely, and I didn't have to give up dairy, either. I haven't had any acne anywhere since removing grains and processed sugar and adding more sunlight. I also haven't used soap in the shower for the past 8 months.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

mug2k is offline Member
    Good stuff, looks like with my change of diet and adding Vit D3 should see some positive results.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    My acne has been clearing up steadily (and I do still eat dairy). I still break out a bit with my cycle, but less and less as time goes on. Even before following the PB, I noticed that sun exposure seemed to help with acne as well. I'm not sure if it was the extra D or some other factor. Good luck!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    I still eat full fat dairy but I lost by acne and gained bacne. Funny, it's probably just a sign of aging on my part.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Diet would only be a part, if any, of the cause of "acne". Granted, I've noticed my skin somewhat clearer these last few weeks(minus a post-thanksgiving pop-up), but I've taken more to blaming excessively harsh bodywashes and shampoos as a more pertinent cause. I've learned some of the hygenic standards I was raised on could actually be more adverse; lately, I've been using conditionary rather than shampooe, and shampoo rather than body wash. More likely than diet is simply avoiding stripping your skin of all sebum.

Note: Wiki'd to make sure I had the chemical name correct(I did)-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebum#Sebum
    Sebaceous glands secrete the oily, waxy substance called sebum (Latin, meaning fat or tallow) that is made of fat (lipids), wax, and the debris of dead fat-producing cells.[3] In the glands, sebum is produced within specialized cells and is released as these cells burst; sebaceous glands are thus classified as holocrine glands.

Sebum is odorless, but its bacterial breakdown can produce odors. Sebum is the cause of some people's experiencing "oily" hair,[4] as in hot weather or if not washed for several days. Earwax is partly composed of sebum. Excess sebum has been linked to eating red meats, fried, oily or other foods, but studies are not conclusive.
    I stand corrected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast