Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Curse of a CW Thanksgiving page

shiggles is offline Senior Member

Harry Potter and the Curse of a CW Thanksgiving

So, I had a great thanksgiving. Fried turkeys in peanut oil (delicious and deadly), ate white mashed potatoes and pecan pie (20% baby!), and drank wayyyy too much.

So yesterday, I wake up (a little hungover from previous partying) and my left knee is KILLING me. I mean, this has never happened to me before. I quit running because I started developing SOME pain, but this is barely bearable. I limped around all day yesterday. I raised my knee with a pillow and threw some ice on it, didn't help.

At about 9 PM last night I realized that I hadn't taken any Omega-3 or Vitamin D supplements all weekend. I'd been so busy cooking and partying that it just slipped my mind. So I get up, hobble to my shelf, down a daily dose of O3 and Vitamin D and go to sleep.

This morning I wake up and my knee is perfectly fine. I could do a backflip (if I actually knew how to do one). What's with the drastic swing!? Could it be that my crappy SAD thanksgiving food caused near immediate inflammation, exacerbated by my lack of Omega-3 intake?

And could taking a dose of Omega-3 really calm the inflammation that quickly (literally over night)? I'm really interested in how this could happen so suddenly and drastically.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by shiggles; 11-29-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    That's been my experience, with my history of tendonosis and osteo-arthritis. I feel great when I'm eating right, but two days in a row of high wheat/sugar intake and I can barely walk. Takes me a few days to get back to normal. The obviousness of it makes it increasingly easy for me to stay away from wheat, though I'm still straying periodically. I fully expect 6 months from now that I will hardly, if ever, eat wheat on purpose. I can't answer re: the supplements, though. Glad to hear you recovered so quickly!

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Peanut oil is extremely high in Omega 6's.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I know that gluten intake causes massive arthritis pain for me, but I have celiac so my body's response is pretty extreme. However, it seems reasonable that a weekend of poor eating with reduced nutritional support would result in inflammation.

The O3 did not necessarily calm the inflammation that fast by itself. The rest and ice would have made a difference, even if it was not immediate, and a good night's sleep can be a magical cure for body pain.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

It raises a question though. How did I become such a delicate little flower?!

26 years of eating like shit, and my knee buckles thanks to three days of gustatory debauchery? When I was eating sandwiches, pizza and pasta donut breadbowls I didn't have these issues with inflammation.

So what gives now?

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    How did I become such a delicate little flower?!
    that was my experience, & my husband's. honestly, you probably were in pain, you just didn't realize it at the time. & now you're body is hopelessly addicted to all the wonderful real food... ah well. there are worse things to be addicted to!
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by aboutsaffron View Post
    that was my experience, & my husband's. honestly, you probably were in pain, you just didn't realize it at the time. & now you're body is hopelessly addicted to all the wonderful real food... ah well. there are worse things to be addicted to!
    Sassafras!!!

Sorry, lol. To expand on my last post; my knee never hurt like that, ever. The only thing I can think of is that when I was eating SAD, my body had built up some sort of system to deal with the toxicity of it all. And now that I eat like a proper human, my body has rid itself of that system. Now it just doesn't know what to do with all that crap polluting my pristine arteries.

Is there already a name for this, or am I making it needlessly complicated?

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    I am interested in this because I somewhat feel like this too, I feel like a couple days off will make my sinuses worse off than they ever were before.

eltigabii is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oh boy, my sister got married this weekend and I drank too much. I believe i'm still feeling the effects today and Saturday was the event. I have had zero ability to concentrate and focus on important things. My thoughts are scattered and I feel SO tired... I don't know what to do to recover. Sunday morning there was a family breakfast and my brother, who also drank a lot, told me that his joints (especially knees) ache after drinking a lot. I was pretty buzzed and someone handed me a piece of bride's cake and of course I ate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast