Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will prove that low carb is not for me? page

Esoteric Fish is offline Member

What will prove that low carb is not for me?

Primal Fuel
    So, I thought I'd go low-carb paleo to try to drop some fat fast. I'm really just eating grass-fed beef, some bacon, and green leafy veggies. My carbs are around 25 grams a day, I'd guess.

I'm on day 14, and I feel terrible. I think it's getting worse. I'm just really sad, and I feel foggy and slow. Also, my sex drive has died. That cannot be a good sign.

I guess I'm wondering, at what point does one decide that this is not just the "low carb flu"? When or what will be enough for me to conclude I am simply not well designed for low carb eating?

BTW, I'm only working out 3x a week, lifting weights. I also so for some long walks.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You'll conclude what ever you want to.

Are you sure you have a nutritionally complete diet
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    You are going very very low carb from the start here... Maybe you're just crashing particularly hard. Plus that's not much food variety...

I don't know of a specific "not working" rule of thumb. I'd give it more than two weeks though.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Eric5105 is offline Member
    I don't think that low carb works for me. I ate over an entire pumpkin pie in less than two days, yet gained no weight. I do best when I eat plenty of fruit and occasionally sweet potatoes or Greek yogurt. Just eat any primal foods that you want to (Not pumpkin pie ) and just give your body plenty of time to digest. Sleep well, drink water throughout the day and make sure that you're not eating so frequently that your digestion can't keep up (this was a major problem for me).

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I don't think Mark considers the PB to be a low carb diet. You're supposed to eat enough vegetables to get a reasonable amount of carbs. That being said, I added starches back into my diet after a month or two on PB. I needed them for energy and I was getting too thin. I did not add wheat back in, or sugar, though, just potatoes, white rice once in a while, and some peanut butter.

Derelyk is offline Junior Member
    Try raising your carbs up to around 100, and see how things go.

That's where i'm at, and i'm shedding pounds like crazy, with light workouts. 35 minute power walks at work 3-4 days a week and one hard workout a week. I dropped 3 pounds over thanksgiving week!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cree View Post
    I don't think Mark considers the PB to be a low carb diet. You're supposed to eat enough vegetables to get a reasonable amount of carbs. That being said, I added starches back into my diet after a month or two on PB. I needed them for energy and I was getting too thin. I did not add wheat back in, or sugar, though, just potatoes, white rice once in a while, and some peanut butter.
    Right. Primal is NOT low carb. I too eat some potatoes, white rice and nut butters. Also yams and a few corn tortillas. Couple servings of carbs per day. It is working very well.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Esoteric Fish is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I know that Paleo is not necessarily low carb - but I was intrigued by some of the claims about the wonders of ketosis (level, unlimited energy... the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound... etc...). For now, I'm going to switch eating more paleo-carbs, ala the Primal Blueprint. Now is not a good time for me to be sad and have a low libido (I'm not sure when would be a good time for this - but now is a particularly time).

But, for the sake of conversation, let me restate my question in a clearer way. A lot figuring out what diet works best for is just experimenting; you try something out, and see the effects. With this in mind, what are some basic parameters people use to judge results? How long should one stick with something, and what are some key things to look for (pro or con)?

For me, two weeks with mild depression and no sex drive was enough to abort the very-low-carb experiment, at least for now.
    (No sex drive seems like a particularly bad sign, from an evolutionary perspective.) What are some of your parameters for experimenting?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    For me and many others on the forum, Primal IS low carb.

You could just be going through the "low carb flu", although you may need to add more carbs eventually. It doesn't sound like you have enough variety in your diet right now though. How about some eggs or some coconut oil? Fish?
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd give it at least 6 weeks, particularly if you're switching from SAD to a low-carb version of primal/paleo. 2 weeks is not enough of an experiment.

Personally, though, I'd cut back a bit more gradually. Try 50g for a couple weeks (or even 80g), then whittle back down to 25 if you must. I also agree with the other posters that you could use some additional variety in your diet. Fish, eggs, coconut, avocado, poultry, different colored veggies...

Another thing: Are you sleeping enough? As in, 9+ hours per night? This is as important as diet for libido, bodyfat loss, and brain function.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast