Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Indoor Grill Recommendations? page

GirlEatsBacon Guest

Hi y'all --

Longtime reader, first-time poster!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good countertop electric grill, a la the George Foreman models? I don't know anyone who's used them, and there seem to be a lot of models out there with dubious reviews.

I don't have any particular price-point in mind, I just don't want to buy one that will immediately break and/or fill my apartment with smoke!

Thanks,

GB

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The smoke issue is separate from the grill issue. It will happen, you can't eliminate it.

The problem with the electric grills is that even at 1500 watts, about max for an outlet, is pretty low heat. The actually do most of the cooking via the infrared heat from the hot element, not the air.

They do work, but things can take a LOT longer than a charcoal or gas grill.

Did you see the posts a few days ago about using ribbed pans for steak? I think they are a MUCH better option and if you have a range hood, smoke is not a problem. I do also lay a fat catching screen over my steak to minimize splattering. Even though an electric range on High uses the same 1500 watts, it's much more efficient in heat transfer to the food.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

We bought a George Foreman in our pre-Primal days and we still get a lot of use out of it. Doesn't really smoke and cooks things pretty quickly. I also have a Hamilton Beech model that I use for Korean Barbeque.

If you can find one that allows you to remove the grilling section for cleaning you'll make your life a lot easier. That's my only complaint with my indoor grills is that they can't be submersed in water.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I need to get one of those fat catching screens. I swear I'm having to mop my floor every other day to get up the slippery coconut oil and bacon grease.

Diabetes, about $2 at Big Lots!

Mick Guest

Yes, cast iron is best. Cast iron or carbon steel pans are best for eggs, too. But they do need to be "seasoned".

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/211328-post19.html

Actually, the whole thread is interesting:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/professional-chefs-forum/40305-no-stick-fried-egg-tips.html

... and don't miss the link about PFOA in some non-stick pans (currently being voluntarily phased out) at post 31:
    [quote]

The chemical, PFOA ... persists in the environment. When it gets into the body, it stays there for a very long time. And it has somehow gotten into the bodies of nearly everyone on earth ...

Most experts don&#39;t think it&#39;s hurting us ... yet. Factory workers exposed to relatively high levels of PFOA don&#39;t seem to have particularly severe health problems. But animal studies strongly suggest that when enough PFOA builds up in the body, it can cause cancer, liver damage, growth defects, immune-system damage, and death.</blockquote>

http://www.webmd.com/news/20060127/e...n-chemical-ban

Hmmmm.....my last post implies that one can buy diabetes for only $2 at Big Lots!

A bargain at twice the price!

I think cast iron pan seasoning is way overblown as some arcane, secret process. When you cook with butter or lard, it gets seasoned. No special process necessary.

As to the teflon thing, don&#39;t use it if you don&#39;t want to, but once again there are the "maybe" and "when enough PFOA builds up" fright factors. If factory workers aren&#39;t suffering ill effects, I&#39;m putting this on the bottom of "Paul&#39;s list of things to worry about" list.

And it&#39;s being phased out, I see.

Mick Guest

[quote]

I think cast iron pan seasoning is way overblown</blockquote>

Of course, food sticks if you don&#39;t. But hey ...

kazantipman is offline Junior Member
    I would recommend to check out George Foreman GRP90WGR It's one of the best indoor grill on the market! Reasonable price and very easy to use! Highly recommend!

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bought this one several months ago and it is great. The grease drains into a collection bin in the back. There is even a video on Amazon's website.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler: Kitchen & Dining

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast