Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snacks, Snacking & Giving in to temptation page

mug2k is offline Member

Snacks, Snacking & Giving in to temptation

Primal Fuel
    Ok

I've been doing this primal thing half-assed for about 1 week. I'm finding it very hard to stop snacking on things like bags of crisps/chips (1-2 bags a day, 100 calories each). I'm doing this purely because I am unsure as to what paleo-esqe snacks are allowed if any. I'm guessing carrots are ok ?, I'm unemployed and live at home with my parents so I don't have much money to spend on food. What are some cheap snacks I can buy ?.

On another note, is the whole snacking thing a phase that will pass if I commit to primal eating for a decent amount of time ?.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Stop snacking.

Eat rich primal meals that leave you full so you don't have to. You'll be amazed how unappetizing a bag of chips ends up sounding.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Raw vegetables, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, beef jerky, coconut and dark chocolate all make for good primal snacking foods. Eggs are particularly cheap and filling.

I very rarely feel the urge to snack anymore. If I eat, I'm going to eat, not nibble. Once your lifestyle and eating habits are more under your control it is something you should be able to move on from. You're probably just experiencing carb withdrawal. If that's the case, eat as much primal food as you need to to keep from giving in to the cravings. If it's not that however and you're really that dependent on snacking, try eating bigger meals.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Eggs are cheap. Hard boil a couple dozen of them. If you want a snack, have an egg. Or two, or three. Whatever it takes to satiate you...but only eggs. The lack of variety will help you identify when you're actually hungry vs. when you just want to eat.

Combine this approach with 2-3 big meals comprised of protein (meat) and veggies (a variety) cooked in healthful fats, and you're golden.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

mug2k is offline Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a decent sized dinner today so I'm hoping that will stave off the hunger for a bit longer. If I desperately need a snack I will have a carrot or an egg or two. I already have around 2 eggs a day, I'm guessing its a myth that the yolks are bad for us ?.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    YES, it's a myth that yolks are bad. They're fantastic.

The whole idea of snacking only on eggs is that you're snacking ONLY on eggs. No variety (even carrots). No options. If you're genuinely hungry, an egg snack will sound fine. If you just want to eat, it'll sound boring and unappealing -- so you know you don't really need food.

I wouldn't recommend doing this for months on end, because it is possible to develop intolerance to any food you overconsume, but it won't hurt you to do it for a few weeks until you get a handle on this snacking thing.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I had to wean myself from snacking obsessively. I just kept reminding myself that I live in one of the richest, fattest countries in the world, and that I could survive for weeks if I didn't eat another bite. Then I'd sip some tea or have some water and wait til the next meal. Pretty soon I no longer had the urge to snack. It also took me a bit to recognize the difference between low blood sugar and actual hunger. Once my blood sugar no longer fluctuated wildly - the urge to snack stopped being as urgent. And now I can actually forget to eat at all - this is not something I ever thought would happen to me of all people.

Good luck!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I agree that it's best to train yourself not to want snacks. However if you really want a snack, pork rinds are also an acceptable one.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Where is the post that says, 'Eat more fat'?

OK, I suppose this is it.

Also - drink water. It's easy to mistake thirst for hunger. And yes, the desire to snack will go away - or hunger between meals will, anyway.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Barbiegirl, brilliant idea! Eating just one thing (one VERY good thing, in the case of eggs) whenever you feel like you might be hungry sounds like a great way to identify if you truly are hungry or not.

I hardly ever snack. I like to look forward to good meals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast