Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pavlova meringue question page

zoebird is offline Senior Member

pavlova meringue question

Primal Fuel
    anyone with more experience with meringue than me?

i want to try my hand at pavlova, but i really do not want to use a cup of sugar. most of the recipes call for that and then fewer egg whites. the "no sugar" versions call for more egg whites and about 2 tsps of splenda or related chemical nonsense.

i'm thinking that if i use the "low carb/sugar free" recipes, i would use

5 egg whites
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar
    1-2 tbsp of sugar
    vanilla

then coconut cream whipped cream (coconut cream, chilled and whipped, with some vanilla), and then berries and fruit, it would make for a nice "nz-y" dessert for my aunt's birthday dinner before she leaves the country.

it would be very low in sugar.

anyone have any experience with pavlovas?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I don't even know what pavlova is; isn't that the guy who makes dogs salivate by ringing a bell?

All I remember about meringue is that you want everything as cold as possible; the mixing bowls and whisks and such should be refrigerated before you start working with the ingredients.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    pavlov vs pavlova

yes, clean and cold, generally.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Pavlova is a fabulous Australian dessert, yum!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'd suggest giving it a try, but only using 1 egg in the experiment.

I always assumed that sugar was necessary for structure, but I guess not if there are splenda versions out there?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Owly is offline Senior Member
    It's the cream of tartar that allows the egg to get stiff enough for meringues. Sugar isn't necessary to the chemistry of it. Sounds like it's worth testing out, although you might want to do a trial or two so you're not counting on it to turn out the first time when it's the day of your aunt's party. If it does work, let me know--I love pavlova.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    It's the cream of tartar that allows the egg to get stiff enough for meringues. Sugar isn't necessary to the chemistry of it. Sounds like it's worth testing out, although you might want to do a trial or two so you're not counting on it to turn out the first time when it's the day of your aunt's party. If it does work, let me know--I love pavlova.
    Fascinating! So would it be possible to make a savoury meringue with, say, egg white, cream of tartar and parmesan? Or egg white, cream of tartar and anchovy? I really really like the idea for starters if it is possibly?

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Apparently using a copper bowl is ideal for meringues because something in the copper reacts with the protein in the egg whites to make the meringue stiffer.... but who wants to spring for a copper bowl?

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    This recipe has a pictorial: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...rshmallow.html

Keep in mind that they won't get as crispy without sugar.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Vicki Lynn is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have understood that you want everything cold for whipping cream, but room temperature for meringue and very clean because any oil or grease (aka egg yolk) will prevent the egg whites from becoming meringue.
    This is how I always do it and mine get quite stiff. I made some for Thanksgiving and used 3 sweeteners in it - a combination of liquid stevia, spenda, and xylitol. Very good and no after-taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast