Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pavlova meringue question page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    stevia has impact on fertility; splenda freaks me out, and xylitol i creepy. i'd rather use just sugar, just less of it.

btu if the tartar is enough, i might just try a vanilla and egg and tartar. and yes, i'll test the recipes first.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I tried to make pavlova with artificial sweetener (aspartame) before I was primal (but still low carb). It was terrible so I haven't bothered trying to make it with stevia. It was dry like a bath sponge.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    stevia has impact on fertility; splenda freaks me out, and xylitol i creepy. i'd rather use just sugar, just less of it.

btu if the tartar is enough, i might just try a vanilla and egg and tartar. and yes, i'll test the recipes first.
    not trying to call you out or anything, but where have you read that stevia impacts fertility? i've never heard of this. my kids use stevia on an almost daily basis, so i'm really curious.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    in some traditional ayurvedic texts, stevia is linked to infertility in women. it has been used in india as a form of birth control as well. most indian women whom i know (who are traditional) will not touch the stuff as a sweetener, but will use it as an occasional medicinal herb for other purposes (as it has many).

i would say that use on a daily basis is not a great idea (which is how most westerners use it--as a sweetener), but if it is for occasional use, then it probably will not have the affect.

seeing as i worked hard for my fertility over a number of years, i do what i can to maintain it. i also find that i don't actually like stevia. it's too sweet. i actually do not like sweet in general, so i'm careful about how much sweet i use in things anyway.

whichis part of the reason why i'm looking for a low-sweet pavlova.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    A good answer to the question: Does Stevia Cause Infertility?

And Bullet Proof Exec's "Get Some" Ice Cream (great for those sexual drives): Recipe: Creamy Coconut “Get Some” Ice Cream (Paleo friendly) The Bulletproof Executive
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I had one hell of a time working on my hard meringues, and did extensive research. I have never been able to make a hard meringue that would keep, but the same day hard meringue finally worked for me. It only worked:
    -with the amount of sugar indicated in the recipe; I saw warnings against using less. Not sure how art sweeteners impact them
    -sterilize all bowls and blades used for making it in the dishwasher and handle with paper towels;
    -use carton egg whites and bring them to room temperature before making meringues; even with 3 bowl method of separating eggs I haven't been able to achieve the egg whites that would not fall in the oven after baking
    -stiff peaks take some time to achieve; patience & checking the peaks helps. They truly need to be standing at the points, no drooping
    -never store meringue in the fridge (they soften)
    -you do not need cream of tartar to make good meringue; I hate the taste it gives it. Start with egg whites and sugrar - exactly the amount indicated in each recipe and do not give up until you get the basic recipe right.

If it is too sweet for you, try something that does not require sugar for correct chemistry, like egg whites and banana or sweet potato souffle
    Last edited by Leida; 08-15-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12