Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soccer Carbs or Fat? page 2

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokka View Post
    oatmeal, fruit, sandwich, banana, sweet potato? are you seriously wondering why you don't work well with fat?
    +1

Blake123 is offline Junior Member
    That's a really good point haha the problem being my parents dont have the same outlook on health so i dont get to get the grass fed organic butter or grass fed meat and since that is the case i dont like to use it a lot with every meal. I still try to incorporate fats as much as i can but i worry about the quality of them.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Not defending the sandwich and oatmeal, but it is a known fact that the oxygen cost of burning fat is higher than the oxygen cost of burning carbohydrate, which is why fat is generally less efficient as a fuel for cardio-intense activities.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake123 View Post
    That's a really good point haha the problem being my parents dont have the same outlook on health so i dont get to get the grass fed organic butter or grass fed meat and since that is the case i dont like to use it a lot with every meal. I still try to incorporate fats as much as i can but i worry about the quality of them.
    grass fed>grain fed>none at all
    like, really, just ask if they can pick up some frozen chicken breasts, some pork chops, maybe salmon or even a little steak. just say, hey, i'm cooking for myself more now, and do it.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Just cut out the grains, vegetable oils, and sugar and you're light years ahead of everyone else. I;m 15, my parents are decidedly not primal, but I manage. you can too.

ShankInBunkers is offline Junior Member
    As a soccer player of 21 years and playing very competitively, up to and through high school and college, you need some carbs, but not as many as you may think (and as many as I thought too). You should be able to start weening yourself off a mostly carb diet, making your body more efficient at converting fat to useful energy (using this energy during warm up and similar intensity levels throughout the game), since you're not really at maximal effort for the full 90 minutes. If your carbs are maxed out in your body, you should easily have 2 hours of energy without needing to tap into your aerobic metabolism (fat conversion, which can only be done with oxygen, so if you're in an anerobic state (sprinting), your body can't use this form of energy). With that being said, the higher your fitness level is (endurance wise), the less time your body spends in an anerobic state, the less carbs you need. I found I could get by with 150g of carbs on hard practice days, bumping it to 175g of easily digestible carbs 6-10 hours prior to my competition. I weigh 150lbs. On weight lifting days, if you are lifting weights to get strong, it should be a fairly aerobic workout, so your body should be able to tap into its fat stores to use for energy. So you shouldn't need lots of carbs.

As far as replentishment of carbs, I've found it to be about 12-24 hours (depending on digestibility) and amount eaten to restore what I lost.

Just what I've learned about my body over the last year, with experimenting on lower carbs, and I am still learning that there are other ways to get my body using the energy that's already stored on it (fat), instead of constantly fueling it with quick, easy energy...
    Last edited by ShankInBunkers; 12-11-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out -
Robert Collier
    Danielle Shank Photography
    My Primal Journey

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    ^Interesting. What kind carbs do you eat, and how long exactly before the game/hard practice?

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShankInBunkers View Post
    As a soccer player of 21 years and playing very competitively, up to and through high school and college, you need some carbs, but not as many as you may think (and as many as I thought too). You should be able to start weening yourself off a mostly carb diet, making your body more efficient at converting fat to useful energy (using this energy during warm up and similar intensity levels throughout the game), since you're not really at maximal effort for the full 90 minutes. If your carbs are maxed out in your body, you should easily have 2 hours of energy without needing to tap into your aerobic metabolism (fat conversion, which can only be done with oxygen, so if you're in an anerobic state (sprinting), your body can't use this form of energy). With that being said, the higher your fitness level is (endurance wise), the less time your body spends in an anerobic state, the less carbs you need. I found I could get by with 150g of carbs on hard practice days, bumping it to 175g of easily digestible carbs 6-10 hours prior to my competition. I weigh 150lbs. On weight lifting days, if you are lifting weights to get strong, it should be a fairly aerobic workout, so your body should be able to tap into its fat stores to use for energy. So you shouldn't need lots of carbs.

As far as replentishment of carbs, I've found it to be about 12-24 hours (depending on digestibility) and amount eaten to restore what I lost.

Just what I've learned about my body over the last year, with experimenting on lower carbs, and I am still learning that there are other ways to get my body using the energy that's already stored on it (fat), instead of constantly fueling it with quick, easy energy...
    I am also a 21 year old competitive soccer player, but have been only running on no more than 100 grams of carbs sometimes even less than 50 grams. I can't really say how it affects my performance because sometimes I feel highly energetic and could last the whole 90 minutes and other times I feel completely depleted of power and energy. I am a bit scared to go over 100 grams of carbohydrates.

RidgebackRunner is offline Junior Member
    I would eat low carb as much as possible and get your body primarily using fat as a fuel source... which may make more sense off-season. Post-practice or game is when I would eat the carbs to replenish the glycogen stores.

I would also make sure you are getting enough protein and sleep so that you fully recover between practices.

I play on a club team and have been thriving eating paleo/primal. Feel free to contact me with any questions: paleohund.com

Tunisia is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No wonder you suffered after changing diet, with that level of activity- I don't think I could physically eat enough to fuel that amount of activity! Any dietary changes will probably make you feel a bit off for the first week or two, but primal is nutritionally complete so there's no reason that your activities should suffer once your body's adjusted. It'd probably be appropriate for you to have a higher carb intake than most anyway. The important thing is to make sure you're definitely eating enough- I'm pretty new to the whole paleo thing, but from what I can gather a lot of the recipes aren't that different to modern recipes, just minus the 'filler' of potatoes, pasta, rice, bread etc., which means you need much bigger portions of the good stuff per meal. If you're going eat carby things, but want to minimise the bad effects, only do so after your training sessions- this is when you need both sugar (for fast recovery) and insulin anyway, as it acts with the growth hormone (released during exercise and protein intake) to promote growth. GH without insulin tells your body 'I'm exercising but I'm not well fed- go into starvation mode!'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast