Thread: Turkey day SCORE page

Griff is offline Senior Member

Turkey day SCORE

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So yesterday I had a belated Thanksgiving Day dinner with my family since we had the kids this weekend. Slow-roasted turkey, coconut flour-and-heavy cream gravy, mashed cauliflower, sausage frittata, and a cranberry relish (made with raw cranberries, walnuts, an apple, the zest and juice of one orange, nutmeg/cinnamon/cloves/ginger, and - gasp - four tablespoons of sugar. The normal recipe calls for a cup of sugar - but my experience now tells me that's overkill).

Here's the SCORE: Blood sugar two hours after dinner was 95. And I did not practice moderation yesterday.

Folks, that's awesome.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Sweet! (No pun indented!)

Thats awesome Griff!

I frequently wish BGL testing supplies weren't so pricy cause I'd love to test throughout the day for a while just for fun. Maybe one of these days I'll pony up the cash and buy some strips that fit my BILs monitor.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Nice.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    gravy recipe?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Egoldstein View Post
    gravy recipe?
    Coconut-Flour/Heavy Cream Gravy
    You will need:
    - The fats in the bottom of the roasting pan
    - Heavy cream
    - Coconut flour
    - Black pepper to taste

My father liked thick gravy, so you'll want to keep that in mind. (You can make thinner gravy, but you'll make his spirit weep. Just sayin'.)

All those lovely fats in the bottom of the pan? Those are going to be gravy very soon now. Aren't you happy? You should be. Measure them so you know how much you started with; this will be important later in nutritional calculations. Then pour them back into the pan.

Measure out a cup of coconut flour. I do this because otherwise I don't know the carb count of the gravy, and I need to. Whatever I have left gets subtracted from the cup I started with; if I have to use more, I know approximately how much I used and I can use thedailyplate.com to create a "meal" that will tell me what the carb count of the gravy is. Also have on hand about a pint of heavy cream. My father used milk, but for me milk is too sugary. You can use milk if you want.

Put the roasting pan on the stove and turn the burners below it to "low." Use a scraping tool of some kind (a spatula or wooden spoon) to remove all the lovely burned bits on the bottom as you begin to add moderate amounts of coconut flour and small amounts of cream to the fats. Ideally it will eventually come together and make a marvelous turkey gravy. Add flour and cream a bit at a time, mix, and keep adding flour and cream until you don't see obvious oil any more. Then make sure you break all those lovely burned bits up because they will add flavor like yo to the gravy. You can season it with a bit of pepper if you wish, but it's probably not necessary. When my dad did this with his usual 24-pound turkey, it made about six to eight cups of gravy. If it's too thin, add more flour; if it's too thick, add more cream (or milk, or even water, if you must). You'll know when it's done because it'll just "look right" to you.

Nutritional information will be calculated based on four things: How much flour you used, how much oil you used, how much cream you used, and how much gravy you end up with. So pour it all in a big measuring cup and figure out how much gravy you have, and then use dailyplate or fitday to create a recipe based on that and figure out how much you're dealing with, carb- and nutrient-wise, per ounce.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    ooh, thanks. I've been looking for a good cream gravy recipe for coconut flour biscuits and sausage!! Fabulous news on the blood sugars.

BeingPrimal is offline Member
    I have to say this was the best turkey I've had in a long time. The skin was crispy and tasty and everything just fell off the bone. I had to work on Thanksgiving so I was grateful we still had it even if it was a couple days later. Everything was so delicious, that when I made my plate for dinner tonight I forgot that I'd changed my eating habits and what would have been shoved into my mouth last year with no second thoughts, ended up mostly still on my plate.

Luckily it has fit into my lunch container for tomorrow. Thanks Griff for a great Saturday Thanksgiving and pointing me in the right direction of eating.