Thread: Scandinavian Iron Age Trousers page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Scandinavian Iron Age Trousers

Shop Now
    What's interesting about them, says this article, is that while some are narrow in the legs they tend to be baggy in the seat. The same goes for more recent trousers used by the Lapps (Sami):

The same kind of seat construction as in the Iron Age trousers can also still be seen on the trousers of the traditional Sami (ethnic minority in northern Scandinavia and Russia) costume. In the traditional normadic Sami culture no chairs were used, and hence the squatting position was common.
    The reason is probably there - the lack of chairs and the prevalence of squatting:

As see in the drawings above, the trousers are narrow-legged, wide in the seat area and made without the median seam seen on modern trousers. I know from experience that modern trousers with a median seam in the seat will crack from the stess put on them by working in a squatting or sitting position.
    http://www.frojel.com/Documents/Document04.html

It's interesting how social history is, so to speak, revealed in clothes - if you know how to look.

----------

Creases down the front of trouser legs? They seem to go back to the 1890s, and perhaps this has to do with people moving from tailored to ready-made clothes at around this time: that was the way sellers folded ready-made trousers in order to stack piles of them on their shelves:

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum...?showtopic=162

That's of passing interest, but I think the business of room in the seat - needed so that the wearer could squat is quite an eye-opener.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    There used to be a San Francisco based company called Chi Pants that made all their pants with an added gusset/panel in the crotch. Apparently, they went out of business. My husband had a couple pairs and loved them.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    You always post neat stuff, Lewis. :) And yeah, probably good for squatting, horse riding, repairs, building trousers from skinnier pieces of fabric, etc.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."