Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To eat PORK or not to eat PORK page

Wox Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi Folks, I have been researching on MDA for a while now about how to 'eat' better. My problem is with pork. About 8 years ago I learned some things about pigs that I just have a hard time eating the meat. Before pork was my favorite. Has anyone else felt this way? As of late I have been buying bacon for my husband & kids and yes I have ate some but I feel like I should not be.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

What things have you learned recently that have put you off?

I've never had a problem with eating cute / fluffy / intelligent / "pet" animals - as long as they have been raised in suitable, natural conditions with respect and sympathy.

However I know a lot of people who can't / won't touch certain meats.

Maybe try some hugh-welfare (so organic, free range, depending what is available AND legally defined where you live) bacon and see how you go? But no-one would force you.

Me personally, can't quite get my head around oysters, cockles, other sea-insects...!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Why don't you feel like you should be? Stick with the ones that weren't raised CAFO-style (tiny little feeding lots while standing in their feces,) and go for more local cuts. What exactly did you learn?...

Wox Guest

I learned that because pigs 'root' for their food they can pick up certin virus' and/or bacterias that does not go away when you cook or smoke the meat.

Wox Guest

certain*

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

If you are referring to trichinosis, that is killed when pork is thoroughly cooked. Unlike beef, not cooking thoroughly is not enjoyable. This was a big deal when I was a kid but seems to be one of those things that has faded into history.

Modern pork production makes sure that the little piggies never get to root around, so ingesting trichinosis is impossible.

I would reject pork on inhumane grounds, but I think the better route is legislation, not just a few people not eating it.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

I used to not eat pork for ethical reasons.

Now I have found a couple sources of humanly raised and free range pigs.

They do have a higher risk of trichinosis, but I just make sure to cook it really well

-Sean

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member

I love pork. I have a wild boar on order to be delivered next week. (Actually wild- they have to go hunt/trap it.)

There's a risk of contamination with pretty much any meat. If it's CAFO beef, you've got e-coli. CAFO chicken is salmonella. I eat a lot of wild game including fox and raccoon, so there's the risk of rabies. Fortunately cooking kills pretty much any little buggers in these meats, so if you're worried about getting a bug, just make sure you cook your meat through.

Eat pork and live happy.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Diana,

I have to say... you're pretty hard core.

Raccoon?

Wowz.

-Sean

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

PrimalCon New York

The paper here had a story a few weeks ago about a guy in south Florida raising hogs without cages, they roam. He has more customers than he can handle.

You know, Chipotle's, despite being a big corporation, does use "natural" pork. I've eaten there despite not being a huge fan just to get some of that pork and reward them, as it were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast