Thread: Melting belly pork page

Modern Day Betty is offline Junior Member

Melting belly pork

Recipe I made up this week - takes a long time to roast, but the results were amazing - the crackling was crispy and the pork just fell apart!

Slab of belly pork at least 1kg (2lbs) in size, rind on
    2 sour apples (bramley are good)
    2 Oranges
    About 6 shallots
    Fresh sage
    1 litre (about 2 pints) organic medium or dry cider (I suppose if you are hard core paleo you could use apple juice or just water)
    a little coarse salt and cracked black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to its hottest temp
    Score the rind of the pork at 5mm intervals
    Boil a kettle and pour all over the pork rind - this will make the scores open and help the crackling . Dry the rind well.
    Peel and core the apples and thickly slice, thickly slice the orange, peel and halve the shallots.
    Throw the the sage, fruit and veggies into a large roasting tin and place the pork on top. Tuck the fruit and veg under the pork to prevent them from burning.
    Season the pork rind with the salt and pepper, working it into the score marks, then gently pour about half of the cider into the tin, being carefull not to get it on the rind.
    Place in the oven, and after 30 minutes turn the heat down to about 150oC (300oF, gas mark 3-4). Leave to roast for at least another 2 1/2 hours (the longer the better really, I did mine for 4 hours), checking every half hour. If the liquid is looking low, top it up with the reamining cider and water.
    If, at the end of cooking, the rind is not as crackly as you'd like, place under the grill for a few minutes to help it along.
    Place the pork onto a warm plate and leave to rest.
    If you want to make a sauce, strain the juices from the fruit/veg in the bottom of the pan into a warm jug, or you could just serve all together as a gooey, saucy mush (which is what it will become!).
    After about half an hour, carve the pork into big, juicy chunks and serve with the roasting juices and whatever sides take your fancy. I used sweet and sour red cabbage to cut through the fatty pork and buttered baby carrots.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My god that sounds amazing. This is my kind of recipe. Thanks!