Thread: Question regarding my Naturopaths view on fats.......... page

TARNIP is offline Senior Member

Question regarding my Naturopaths view on fats..........

Primal Fuel
    I went to my local health store the other day to stock up on Omega 3's (I hate seafood and fish and cannot afford to eat grassfed beef, so I supplement instead). I told her that I have just found out I have an auto-immune disease (Anklosing Spondylitis) and through research discovered that a low starch diet could be the key to pain relief and the ceasing of disease progression so I was going to give PB a shot. She told me that the liver cannot handle in any way, shape or form the amount of fats that PB advocates on a daily basis. Apparently it can only handle (for an example) fish oil tablets (3 per day) plus a teaspoon of coconut oil but no more than this otherwise my liver will pretty much sh** itself from the overload? Is there any knowledgeable people out there that can provide info to prove if if there is any truth to this rumour? I know you may think I am an idiot for believing her word but between of the pair of us, she is the one with the qualifications, I on the other hand am just feeling my way through this entire web of information.

PS. I am also quite overweight, so maybe this could be part of her reasonings??

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Just what is her training, education and background? Many are trained under CW. Is she a vegan? Many of the people on this site consume anywhere for 40-75% of their calories from fat. I personally average 60+% on a regular basis since around feb. or march and have yet to have any part of my body shit itself. I have only gotten healthier, stronger, more energetic, and have lost a lot of weight. The longer you do it the more you are convinced this is how your body wants you to eat. There are a lot of resources out there, and others who can explain it better than I can. Read all of the archives on the main page of the blog, as well as all the other blogs out there, it really helps to make it clear. I'm sure the smart people will chime in soon with all the science-y type stuff.
    Last edited by skink531; 11-27-2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typos

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    that is a tiny amt of fat.

i'm assuming that when she refers to the liver she means the gall bladder.
    if you are not eating enough fat, the bile (squirted out into the sm intestine when fat is present), remains in the gall bladder and stones form. if they are too large to pass through the bile duct, you get pain and if it is not dealt with (removed) pruritis, jaundice.....this is more likely to happen when there is liver disease or pressure from inflammation from another organ because w gall stones, they just remove the gall bladder.

and, yes, i have more training than just working at a HFS.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Have a look at the following blogs for more information on the benefits of a higher fat diet. Your naturopath is both misunderstanding and oversimplifying the science.

Hyperlipid

Hyperlipid. You need to get calories from somewhere, should it be from carbohydrate or fat? Saturday, November 27, 2010. The anacetrapib giggle ...
    high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/ - Cached - Similar
    Butter, insulin and Dr Davis
    Getting fat is good: Official
    Gwyneth Paltrow has osteopaenia
    For the low fat brigade
    Thoughts on problems with high fat ...
    Cholesterol hypothesis in 2010 part 2
    Folate and homocysteine
    David Blaine and refeeding syndrome

1. Perfect Health Diet

Nov 24, 2010 ... The Perfect Health Diet proportions are more like 300 calories protein / 1300 calories fat / 400 calories carbohydrate. ...
      perfecthealthdiet.com/ - Cached - Similar
      The Diet
      Centenarians
      Alzheimer's
      About Us
      Bowel Disease
      Arthritis
      Paleolithic Diet
      Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fats

PaNu - PāNu Blog

PaNU Forum. Kurt G. Harris MD. The PāNu approach to nutrition is grounded on clinical medicine and basic sciences disciplined by knowledge of evolutionary ...
    www.paleonu.com/ - Cached - Similar
    PaNU Forum
    Get Started
    What I eat
    Fruit order in the 12 steps
    What About Diet Soda?
    Do you believe in magic?
    Vitamin D
    About Me
    More results from paleonu.com

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

grokka is offline Senior Member
    ^
    +100.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Trust me, your liver can take plenty of fat, so long as you aren't stuffing your face with CW foods. Plenty of groups of people have survived very well on high fat, low carb diet. Just look at the African Massai. They live off a diet of raw whole milk, blood, and meat, and they are a robust, tall, healthy tribe of warriors. Or the Inuit, who live on fatty meat such as blubber, some berries and tubers.

And being overweight has nothing to do with it, really. In fact, you should be eating less carbs and more fat, most likely.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I did the Atkins diet (high fat/low carb) before moving onto Primal recently. I've basically been eating meat, poultry, fish, eggs, good veggies, berries, butter, olive oil, coconut oil (and taking fish oil capsules daily) for nearly two years. My liver has not complained and I'm one of your senior (in age) members. My body loves this and my health has never been better. In my experience the naturpath doesn't know what she's talking about.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    How about turning the tables and having your naturopath provide the proof of her assertion?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    How about turning the tables and having your naturopath provide the proof of her assertion?

exactly.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for your replies. I was a little concerned by her statement but it still would not have deterred me from giving it a shot anyway

Jem51- My sister in law has just had her gallbladder removed because of stones and prior to her surgery they told her to eat "low fat" to prevent more stones from forming!!!

Cillakat - Thank you for providing all of those links, I shall inform myself by now going to read through them all