Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF'ing and breastfeeding page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

IF'ing and breastfeeding

Primal Fuel
    I know i've asked a similar question before, but i'm just a little nervous about this. has anyone tried to fast for a day or two while breastfeeding? i'm really not as worried about my milk supply- if that seems to dip I know how to get it back up. but i'm a little more worried about mood stability. any experience?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i don't really see why one would do it specifically, and in nearly every culture that has fasts for various reasons assert that pregnant and breastfeeding women are exempt, so that would be a long tradition of forgoing it.

and, if it were my child's only source of food at the time, i'd be particularly cautious not to do it.

but, i also feel that if the child eats food as well as breastmilk, and if you're not particularly hungry on a given day (such that you would have only one meal, or two, or none), then that wouldn't be a big problem either.

main thing, imo, is just to go with how you feel. it's not absolutely necessary to IF; i think that if you naturally do it (eg, skip a meal, skip a day of meals) because you are not hungry, that's easy enough, and otherwise, it's good to just keep yourself good and steady for yourself and your kids.

i don't know if that's coming out right. ultimately, your decision, but i personally don't do it in a concerted way (even though i have days where i don't eat, or i only eat one or two meals based on how i feel).

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Eat as if you were still pregnant.

most days, i usually end up skipping breakfast. i don't know exactly why i want to fast, there's just something purifying about it. though i don't know if i'd have that same feeling through a fast while breastfeeding. maybe i'd just end up getting really hungry and be more tempted to cheat. i might actually just occasionally have a 0 carb day instead, who knows.

I think as long as you focus on quality rather than timing and quantity you will be fine. Some days my wife was starving ALL DAY, and some days she was content on coffee. Most days she stayed hungry. When I was home we ate well, and stayed mostly primal with the occasional zombie pizza nights, or force-ourselves-to-get-out-of-the-house night. Everything we knew about planning was shot out of the sky. It goes on baby's schedule at that point.

aaaaaaaand, I just figured out this isn't your first little one, so I will just stop posting about mommy stuff.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i've never had children so take this with a grain of salt. if you don't feel like eating for a meal or so, don't. if your milk dips or your mood goes south just eat but otherwise i don't see why it would be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by New Renaissance View Post
    aaaaaaaand, I just figured out this isn't your first little one, so I will just stop posting about mommy stuff.
    lol, no i've been nursing for almost 7 years straight.

i should probably just concentrate on keeping protein intake adequate. i usually don't have any issues with fat intake.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I know i've asked a similar question before, but i'm just a little nervous about this. has anyone tried to fast for a day or two while breastfeeding? i'm really not as worried about my milk supply- if that seems to dip I know how to get it back up. but i'm a little more worried about mood stability. any experience?
    I've done it and chances are that it's happened, oh, more than a few times in that 'environment of evolutionary adaptation'. Avoiding food for a day or so isn't likely to be an issue but avoiding food and fluids (which you wouldn't be doing) is likely to be problematic.

Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Unless you really have to IF, I personnally wouldn't do it while breastfeeding. Yes you will be fine, and your milk supply too. But body will draw from your reserves to keep milk up to scratch from a nutriant point of view. As was stated previously, pregnant and breastfeeding women were except from fasting in many tribal cultures.. and probably for good reason.

But I suppose it also depends if baby is totally reliant on you or is on solids too..

(Just finished breastfeeding myself about 3 weeks ago.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast