Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IF'ing and breastfeeding page 2

Ms. Fai is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    ===
    Last edited by Ms. Fai; 10-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.

soror is offline Senior Member
    I have done some small fasts while nursing, exclusively, at that. I never abstained from liquids though. When I mean small around 16-18 hrs or so. I would only do this when I felt like it, some days I just wouldn't have a desire to eat until lunch and felt fine, so I went with it. Other days I would seem ravenous, so I would eat frequently. I was/am pretty strict primally, tending more to paleo and really felt not as much hunger. My babe(now 12 months) eats more solids but I find myself more snacky in the last few months and have dropped 5 additional pounds(without trying- I have been at my pre-pregnancy weight for several months). I think it has been a hormonal change of sorts as it seems that previously my fertility has returned a bit after 1 yr and at that time my weight goes down without effort, while nursing I generally work pretty hard to get weight off.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Your production might decrease, but the nutritional content of your milk should be fine.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soror View Post
    I have done some small fasts while nursing, exclusively, at that. I never abstained from liquids though. When I mean small around 16-18 hrs or so. I would only do this when I felt like it, some days I just wouldn't have a desire to eat until lunch and felt fine, so I went with it. Other days I would seem ravenous, so I would eat frequently. I was/am pretty strict primally, tending more to paleo and really felt not as much hunger. My babe(now 12 months) eats more solids but I find myself more snacky in the last few months and have dropped 5 additional pounds(without trying- I have been at my pre-pregnancy weight for several months). I think it has been a hormonal change of sorts as it seems that previously my fertility has returned a bit after 1 yr and at that time my weight goes down without effort, while nursing I generally work pretty hard to get weight off.
    i generally return to fertility late. after my first baby, it was 2 years, 20 months after the second. this one is 6months old. i just started to lose weight again after my fertility returned after the first one, when i conceived the second and started gaining weight again. same thing happened after the second baby (i just started to lose weight when i became pregnant, then i dropped an additional 10 lbs in the first month or two of pregnancy).

soror is offline Senior Member
    I wish my fertility was delayed longer! I guess I should be thankful for the 1yr+ I have got. I do make sure not to do anything to interfere w/ lactational amenorrhoea- no bottles, pacifiers, schedules, we co-sleep etc. It is odd to me that some people just experience a melting of pounds nursing but for others it is harder. I lose my weight fairly soon after having babies but it is only by working my butt off.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I've only done shorte fasts like Soror with no issue, and while nursing my toddler (who nurses a LOT, but not as much as an exclusively nursing babe). To me, the most important thing about fasting or even just eating well and losing weight while nursing is to make sure you are supporting your detoxification pathways with adequate nutrition/supplementation so that whatever toxins/junk is stored in old fat (that you are losing) are not going right out into your milk (and therefore into your baby). Or if they are going into your milk, your babe is getting the necessary nutrients to detox those easily. So, optimizing things like vit D, K2, magnesium, zinc, selenium, also vit C...etc. (If you got to/were at your just-right-for-you weight before pregnancy and have been primal for a while I would probably worry far less about the toxins in the milk issue, BUT, optimizing those nutrients seems paramount to health in general anyway, from what I've read and am experiencing.)

HTH!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12