Thread: What supps should I/we be taking for health benefits ?. page

mug2k is offline Member

What supps should I/we be taking for health benefits ?.

Primal Fuel
    Hi

I just wondered what supplements should I buy which offer clear health benefits ?. I have a few in mind but feel free to add your suggestions.

Multivitamin - Doesn't really need to be explained. To be taken in the morning ?.
    Fish Oil - Purely For the plentiful omega 3 benefits. Throughout the day before meals.
    Vitamin D - I've heard this good for the skin and if you don't much sun. I'm very home-based due to my job so I don't get out as much as I need to. I guess this can be taken anytime.
    ZMA - Supposed to be good for getting deep sleeps which in tuen will aid recovery I guess. Before bed would be the obvious time.

Feel free to add your suggestion and insights.

Thanks,
    Marcus

Mad_Fatter is offline Junior Member
    Here are a few big ones:

Vit D - it's the magic bullet for most things: mood, immune, cell function yadda yadda. Human beings spent most of their evolution getting upwards of 20,000IU from sun exposure, but now live inside and get none. In terms of supplements I consider it as important as any macro nutrient

Fish oil - Carlson's is a good choice. You get Vit D, A and omega 3 in the same package. Tastes pretty great, too

Magnesium: Supposedly void from modern, over-farmed topsoil.

K2 - directs calcium to bones and teeth and away from arteries. Very good idea to take some extra, especially if you've been punishing your teeth by eating grain.

mug2k is offline Member
    thanks ^^

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your particular health status and goals, but I agree that amost everyone could benefit from supplementing Omega-3's, D-3, and magnesium.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

mug2k is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    It depends on your particular health status and goals, but I agree that amost everyone could benefit from supplementing Omega-3's, D-3, and magnesium.
    I'm fairly slim and just trying to lean out and gain strength. Got a inch or so I want to loss around this midsection.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mug2k View Post
    Hi

I just wondered what supplements should I buy which offer clear health benefits ?. I have a few in mind but feel free to add your suggestions.

Multivitamin - Doesn't really need to be explained. To be taken in the morning ?.
    Fish Oil - Purely For the plentiful omega 3 benefits. Throughout the day before meals.
    Vitamin D - I've heard this good for the skin and if you don't much sun. I'm very home-based due to my job so I don't get out as much as I need to. I guess this can be taken anytime.
    ZMA - Supposed to be good for getting deep sleeps which in tuen will aid recovery I guess. Before bed would be the obvious time.
    Skip the ZMA. If you need additional zinc, which many of us do, use zinc monomethionine (like Now Zinc OptiZinc...see my linked docs below).

If you need magnesium (most of us do), use magnesium citrate if you can tolerate it (ie if your gut can tolerate it without loose stools), or magnesium glycinate (ie chelated magnesium) I can't tolerate either and I do require lots of magnesium. The only one that works for me is Jigsaw Health's Magnesium dimalate....an amino acid chelated, time-released form of magnesium malate. Believe me when I say that if i could tolerate anything cheaper, I would.

fish oil - ideally, we'll all be minimizing PUFA intake both Ω3 and Ω6. However, it is imporant to insure optimal ratios (1-4 to 1 Ω6:Ω3) so in order:
    1) minimize Ω6 intake as much as possible and
    2) eat fish as neeed to optimize ratio
    3) take fish oil if, and only if, needed to bring ratios into that ideal range.

Vitamin D....yup. Enough to bring serum 25(OH)D level to around 55-65 ng/mL via LabCorp or ZRT (see d doc, linked below via google docs). If you must use Quest, be sure to divide test result by 1.3 and ignore any D2 result they give.

Take all supplements with food, ideally in the middle of a meal.
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-27-2010 at 09:16 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

mug2k is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Skip the ZMA. If you need additional zinc, which many of us do, use zinc monomethionine (like Now Zinc OptiZinc...see my linked docs below).

If you need magnesium (most of us do), use magnesium citrate if you can tolerate it (ie if your gut can tolerate it without loose stools), or magnesium glycinate (ie chelated magnesium) I can't tolerate either and I do require lots of magnesium. The only one that works for me is Jigsaw Health's Magnesium dimalate....an amino acid chelated, time-released form of magnesium malate. Believe me when I say that if i could tolerate anything cheaper, I would.
    I just remembered that I actually have some Now Zinc OptiZinc so I'll be putting that to use. Do you have any recommendations for a multivit ?.