Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indulgence for Chocoholics page

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I found two awesome things at Wegmans today, which together, make a delicious dessert or treat:

Zhena' Caffeine free Chocolate Chai Tea (Organic, Fair trade)

Ghiradelli 100% Cacao Nibs - unsweetened for the hardcore chocoholic.

I'm sitting here enjoying them as I type this. More reasons I don't feel deprived living a primal (and low carb) lifestyle.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm a confessed chocoholic. Here's a "cocoa" I came up with last winter that really hits the spot, especially if you like coffee, as it's very coffee-like.

Heat water to a simmer. Add a tbsp cocoa powder, a tsp vanilla extract and sweetener (I use stevia) to taste. Simmer and mix until blended. It's very rich and squashes any chocolate cravings. Plus you get that same "hot cocoa" comfort.

Another one I have to test out is heating coconut milk and adding the cocoa, vanilla and sweetener. I didn't know about coconut milk last winter otherwise I totally would have used it.

brycebolt is offline Junior Member

I'm a big fan of Son of Grok's Dino Droppings

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/02/recipe-dinosaur-droppings-primal-fudge-balls/

Made them for the second time yesterday, and so far they've been able to curb my chocolate cravings pretty easily!

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Diana, I make mine with coconut milk all the time. Just had some this morning, actually. I like to add some spices like cinnamon, ginger and allspice to wake me up. Tumeric is good in there too.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I had 85% chocolate bar over the weekend - first time ever. Forgot what brand it was (Lindt maybe?). I do have some 100% baking chocolate in my cupboard. Wonder how that would taste.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I can't wait to make some hot cocoa, after survival week is over.

I like Green & Black's 85% the best. No soy lecthin or whatever that stuff is. It's the cleanest chocolate I know of. I tried 100%... way too bitter. I can't do it.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

just found this tea! can't wait to try it!

I wonder how many carbs are in the dinnosaur droppings? I have been wanting to try them but afraid I might go overboard. I am going to try a smoothie tomorrow with my chocolate protien powder and coconut milk and see how that tastes ...got some maca powder I need to use up and bee pollen so might toss that in as well xoxo Darlene

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

mrd232,

So how are you liking the cacao nibs?

Are they sweet enough? I've been wanting to try them, as my experience last week with chocolate was not positive (probably from the sugar content).

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

yes, how are cocoa nibs? Ive been meaning to pick some up. The most Ive had is 87% and am wanting to try the full 100%.

Also, the recipe for primal brownies (posted on video recipe contest) is awesome.

The only issue Ive found with recicpes which 'embrace' chocolate- I always end up eating WAY too much. Keeping self control seems even harder when the food is primally 'healthy'. also the same for coconut milk and almond butter...too good to stop...

Mick Guest

[quote]

yes, how are cocoa nibs?</blockquote>

In a word, crunchy.

In flavour - chocolatey, really.

I had a pack once some while back. I don&#39;t think I&#39;d bother with them again. They&#39;re nice enough, but they weren&#39;t a great gourmet experience or anything.

From the &#39;functional" point of view, they are high in antioxidants. But from that point of view, they have the disadvantage of containing oxalic acid (which interferes with calcium absorption) and of being stimulants (thanks to theobromine and caffeine). It&#39;s said that four of five nibs at a time are probably enough - although I&#39;ve eaten more than that in one go and can&#39;t say I noticed either going up or dropping down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast