Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took Antibiotics-how to get the gut back? page

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member

Took Antibiotics-how to get the gut back?

Primal Fuel
    After a raging ear infection I had no choice but to take the devil pills. Any advice on how to invite the friendly gut bacteria back in?
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Go to your local healthfood store and ask about probiotics. I think sauerkraut is also good but don't quote me on that.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If you do dairy - kefir and yogurt are great. You could also try kimchee - yummy and good for the gut! Sauerkraut made the old fashioned would help- but not the canned stuff in the grocery store.

Good luck!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Kimchi is a great probiotic. Also, yogurt (if you eat dairy). Some sauerkraut, although it needs to be a fermented type. The probiotic pills at your local health food store will do it too, but I like food sources when possible.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

billman89 is offline Member
    Depending on the antibiotic you took and for how long, I would get real raw milk and kefir it. Theres about over 200 species sometimes in that stuff.

Probiotics are great, but remember, you have over 150 species in your gut, and the 10 to 12 in a probiotic strain aren't going to do much other than provide favorable conditions for other friendly bacteria to proliferate.

I suggest you take some of Dr. Ayers advice, eat unwashed and slighty dirty veggies, diversify them, and some of my own recommendations... drink a ton of raw milk and raw milk kefir if you can. Stop washing your hands so much, in fact ditch soap and shampoo for a bit. Less hygiene means you'll pick up more bacteria... dont worry this is not a bad thing.

There is an article from the times about a woman who quit showering for 6 weeks and they found a ton of bacteria on her skin, but non of it was pathogenic. Her IBS was resolved also after the 6 weeks.

I would order real kefir grains and kefir raw milk if you can, but pasturized will also do. Just do not do the store bought kefir or yogurt.

me2
    Sadly raw milk is illegal in Colorado unless you actually own a share of a company. I don't want to do that because for the most part I don't eat dairy. Can you order it online? Also what about Kombucha?

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Kombucha is good. If you go to Ebay, some people sell starters by mail.

The real kind of apple cider vinegar is good as well. (The kind sold "with the mother" in the health food store.) Have some in warm water, maybe with a little honey in it. Old Amish habit.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Fecal transplant?

me2
    Okay I am really hoping that was a joke. Grosser than gross.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Okay I am really hoping that was a joke. Grosser than gross.
    It's a joke in this context, but the procedure is definitely real.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast