Thread: What's the timing like for pre-race/game carbs? page

Joshy is offline Senior Member

What's the timing like for pre-race/game carbs?

Primal Fuel
    So I've been eating mostly primal for quite a while. I've been pretty low carb for at least the last couple months (mostly just salads from the co-op and a couple baked sweet potatoes a week). I'm thinking of trying super-low carb (mostly meat) for a week to see how it makes me feel.

I'm a soccer player, however, which means tons of running. I've heard a lot of primal distance runners/athletes train low carb, but still get something before a game/race.

What's the timing on that stuff and how much do you need? Sweet potato the night before? Banana a few hours before? Both?

Thanks!

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Spill over (too much) occurs when glycogen is full.........everyone is different. Around 600 total grams of carbs generally fills the average person......how much glycogen you have in your system at this point is a grey area........if a person has been dieting or is on a low carb diet, you can expect the tank is either empty or near the bottom.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Alright well I don't really know exactly where I'm at. Like I said I've been eating primal for a while, but I'm not too strict about it when I'm out with other people, and because I'm an althlete I've been eating sweet potatoes and bananas pretty often.

So just as a rough estimate, what should I eat pre-game, and how long before?

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    I play hockey for an hour twice a week and I generally will eat a few sweet potatoes the day of and some fruit an hour before the game. Just to let you know I'm not one of the low carb primal people, and I delegate about 25% of my total calories from carbs everyday. I also exercise fairly often (crossfit, weight training and some HIIT during the week as well.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to lose fat? Primal is not a low carb diet. If you are not trying to lose fat and you get lots of hard exercise, you could do up to 150 grams of carbs per day. You need to get lots of veg and some fruit. If you need some extra fuel, yams are great.

What I have heard about carbing up is to do it two nights before the event and then top off the tank just before the event with something like a banana.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

No, not trying to lose fat. I know primal is not a low carb diet, just wanted to experiment. And as of right now, I probably eat more carbs than most people here. Bananas, sweet potatoes and occassional regular potatoes.

Can anyone else confirm the 2 nights before and right before thing?

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member
    I am a soccer player too, and am also struggling with finding the right balance. It has been extremely hard the last couple months because all I eat are low carb veggies due to gut problems. Sometimes I get less then 20 grams a day, and it has been detrimental to my performance. So I am thinking of adding a bunch of sweet potatoes to help my performance despite my gut problems.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    I personally don't like many carbs while doing athletics, and personally underfuel before any type of competition. This doesn't work for everyone, though.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    No, not trying to lose fat. I know primal is not a low carb diet, just wanted to experiment. And as of right now, I probably eat more carbs than most people here. Bananas, sweet potatoes and occassional regular potatoes.

Can anyone else confirm the 2 nights before and right before thing?
    A google search didn't turn up anything about the 2 nights before. It's just something I was told by coaches when I was training for a half marathon. I think the concept is to avoid heavy meals the day before the event. Probably for soccer just having some easily digested carbs a while before the event would be plenty, e.g. a banana.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.