Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: primal diary: timconradinc page

Anonymous Guest

primal diary: timconradinc

Shop Now

Day 1. They still won't let me out of the cage.

Ok, not really.

Today was a ~24 hr ifast day. I started last night, slept and worked through the day and came home & made dinner.

So, for dinner:

~1lb of cheap steak of some sort.

Frozen mixed vegetables microwaved with butter on top.

Whipped cream with some frozen cherries for desert. the cherries had virtually no flavor. should have gotten fresh blueberries instead.

I also drank some whey protein powder

Came to the realization that I'm a bit burned out on p90x (Just starting phase 3). I did p90 and it took forever because I kept getting sick and then took off a few weeks and started p90x. I read Good Calories, Bad Calories, and it changed my views on eating and exercise, which didn't help with things.

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, so I decided to give p90x a break until I return & just do the park workouts that I enjoy and do yoga once a week and go with that.

jpippenger Guest

Haven't read Good Calories, Bad Calories yet how did it change your view on exercise?

deepthought is offline Junior Member

The thesis of the book regarding energy balance(training) is that the "old" formula:

stored fat = energy in - energy out,

ie that body fat is a result of your bodys intake and spending of calories, is simply not working.

Taubes sais that if energy IN is reduced, energy OUT will reduce as well and vice versa. wheight controll by restricting calories(semi starvation diets) is simply not working. By exercise(making energy OUT "bigger"), your body will get you to eat more(making energy IN bigger), and will also not result in wheight loss.

The prime factor for wheight loss IS, according to Taubes, WHAT you eat, not how much calories. Carbs, drives insulin(and an enzym that makes fat "stick" in yout cells(forgot the name of it), whic drives fat. In short, carbs will make you put on fat.

Hopes tha helps.

Anonymous Guest

pretty much what deepthought said.

another part of his statement, though, is that it's more complex. the body uses macronutrients in different ways, making a simple calorie in, calorie out analogy not work properly.

which, i think also applies to the exercise thing - while I generally buy what he's saying, I also think that it *does* do good for you by raising your metabolism and whatnot. But, then it comes down to the idea that when trying to lose weight, 80% of it is your diet, and 20% is the exercise (or that's what people say, anyways).

jpippenger Guest

Thanks, Deepthought and Tim. Good explanation!

dalvarez Guest

I recently finished up 5 Rounds (1 year) of P90X---and I can tell you that the results of following the workouts are incredible, I continue to use the workouts, mixing them all up now ---with that said--- I sure had to eat a lot and quite often. Since starting my primal journey I have cut-back from a 6 day workout to 4-5 -depending how I feel and I can tell you this I am already reaping the results of going primal dropping 2 points of BF% without killing myself 6 days a week for such results --probably due to the total number of carbs ingested to keep up with such an intense workout--bonking was always my concern. Since cutting back and going primal I have yet to bonk or lack any energy at all during my 4-5 workouts!....Good luck on your journey!

Anonymous Guest

today's breakfast:

3 eggs & 4 links of breakfast sausage, some coconut oil-based suet with various seeds and some nuts, and whey powder.

It's not just the book, though, and reading that information. I think it's more of an equilibrium thing and just going too deep into health-related things for me. I did this with cooking a few months ago, just went too far into it, and got burned out. When I get curious/interested about something, I become obsessive-compulsive about researching it. It works pretty well when given new things at work to learn, but not so much in my personal life when it just kind of overtakes everything.

Plus, this time of year, I'd rather be outside than inside doing p90x.

Anonymous Guest

ah, this morning, I also ran stairs for about 12 minutes, did pull-ups, push-ups and a lame attempt at tabata sprints uphill.

For lunch:

Spinach salad with chunks of chicken breast, carrots, cherry tomatoes, black olives and cucumber. With french dressing. Not primal, but been craving it lately.

Dinner:

Hamburgers with my coconut flour rolls, and some carrots and cherry tomatoes. With some whipped cream for desert.

Anonymous Guest

6/4/2009

Breakfast -

4 Egg Omlette with Cheddar Cheese and salsa on top

Whey Protein Powder

Lunch -

3 Italian Sausage Links

Sliced Zucchini

Grape tomatoes

Spaghetti Sauce

Dinner

3 Italian Sausage Links

Frozen Vegetable Mix - Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots with plenty of buttah

An experimental 'desert'

Whipped egg whites with 1/2 cup almond meal mixed in and some cinnamon.

jpippenger Guest

I have a feeling that if I looked into your fridge, I'd think it were my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast