Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: women and weight gain page

Mamasita is offline Junior Member

Cool women and weight gain

Primal Fuel
    What have been women's experience on PB? I'm definitely gaining weight- and it's not muscle since it is around my mid section. And up until good old turkey day, I have not eaten any grains or processed sugar... some dried fruit after a work out; but still not much. For those of you who are losing weight and doing well - could u offer advice or what has been working for you??

Thanks!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Can you share a typical day's food (with specific quantities where possible) and your typical exercise?

I reached my goal weight and have been happily stable at that weight since September. My typical day is:

2 slices bacon, 1 or 2 eggs, 1 small onion, 1 tomato, handful spinach
    Small lunch...leftovers from the day before or sometimes just chicken soup. I'm rarely all that hungry at lunchtime any more.
    Chicken/beef/fish with a couple of vegetables (eg. cup of broccoli, 1/4 cup carrots). If the protein doesn't already have plenty of fat, I'll make sure to cook it in coconut oil
    Some days: 1/4 cup frozen raspberries with coconut milk
    Most days: a square of 85%+ chocolate
    All day: copious tea/coffee, sometimes with coconut milk.

For exercise, I walk as much as I can and I do Jazzercise twice a week (which I used to do daily). I still haven't really done much on the Lift Heavy Things front.

The thought processes that have helped me:
    Don't be afraid of fat
    Move more
    Don't try to find primal substitute versions for most things. Eat new things instead.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Mamasita is offline Junior Member
    I'll try to remember; typical days have been so sporadic since the inlaws are in town and we've been eating out so much!

B: 2 eggs, 1/4 cup summer squash, 1 cup kale, 1 roma tomato, 2 turkey sausage links
    S: almonds/cashews organic turkey stick
    L: Cobb Salad w/ balsamic dressing on side
    S: Prob. yogurt w/ protein powder
    D: 10 oz steak, house salad w/ italian dressing on side, little bit of coleslaw
    S: Blueberries, may have eaten some yogurt with it
    Cauliflower dipped into reg. cream cheese

Sometimes I'll throw protein powder into greek yogurt (its non fat though) for a snack, or eat some cheese.
    What I eat changes everyday; sometimes I think i have more fat than other times. I graze around the house: after lunch out I'll still be hungry so i might pick at some almonds, steak in the fridge, veggies and salsa, yogurt, etc.

I'm realizing that I may need to actually eat more fat than I am and I should keep track of what I'm eating; I did so before i ate Primal..

I do p90x or elliptical or a pump iron class at the YMCA. I've only gone mountain biking once since Primal (8 days in)

If you don't have a typical primal day and you've been eating out so much, sounds like that's your primary problem.

I'm curious why you're eating turkey sausages? Those are typically created to be low fat.

I agree you may need more fat, and less meals/snacks that are carb-centric (cobb salad, blueberries as a snack, nut snacks). By eating more fat, you'll feel more full and less likely to need to snack.

Do you have the PB book? I highly recommend it...you'll rethink your exercise program and your eating if you really take the advice on board.

You might also want to enter the menu you listed into an online nutrition tool and find out what the actual breakdown of foods is. I don't mean as a daily habit, but as a once-or-twice thing so you get a better idea of whether you're on track for carb/fat/protein intake.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

gini is offline Senior Member
    I've never had any weight gain eating this way. I have been eating this way for years. The only time I gain weight is when I don't eat primaly - e.g. eating cookies or going off course and eating waffles at my honey's mother's house because there's no alternative for breakfast.

Typically, I eat:
    vegetable and raw cheese fritatta for breakfast with a cup of black tea
    lunch:
    in the winter: cabbage, chicken sausage (I don't eat non-cured pork) and vegetable stew or curry
    in the summer: big ass salad
    pre-workout snack: apple with almond butter or berries with coconut milk or heavy cream and a cup of green tea
    protein, fat, vegetables for dinner

In terms of exercise, I do yoga, hike, bike, climb, and kayak for my moving around at a slow pace. I lift heavy and sprint at the gym once a week.

You seem to be eating constantly. This probably means you aren't eating enough fat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try being 100% primal for a week and go as strict as you can. Cut out dairy, fruit, and nuts. Eat protein, fat and vegetables. See what happens. Once you've done that and seen its effects on your body, you can add back in the other foods.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    The sample day contained at least 3000 cals if it was a restaurant Cobb salad. I hunk you're just overeating cals. It would be worth tracking for a few days in dailyburn or nutritiondata.self.com. Avoid fitday as it has too many errors in both the database and algorithm.

On the iPhone....

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I'm not so sure about overeating calories. The snacking seems to imply dissatisfaction with meals which might have too much carb or too little fat or possibly just be too small. (You didn't say how big the Cobb salad was.)

The low fat protein is basically a bad idea. Non-fat Greek yogurt is a contradiction in terms.

The snacking sets you up for weight gain, IMO. Eat the fruit (and not much of it) with the meals, make the meals big enough and fat enough, see if your appetite diminishes. If everything is working right, you'll wonder where your appetite went. Do you use good quality butter or ghee (clarified butter made from unsalted butter, preferably at least partly grassfed.) Ghee adds wonderfully to taste and satisfaction from other foods.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    with the yogurt, its just that nonfat dairy is just too high carb. stay clear of nonfat or lowfat dairy.
    not to sound like a diet expert (tho' I should be after all the diets I've been on!)
    Hey, Lizch! did you have much weight to lose when you started the zone? I did the zone and lost about 30 lbs. years ago. Now I need to lose that same 30. But I can't do the zone again....sometimes you just can't go back to what worked once. I dunno why.....refusal to measure? So here I am...ready to learn and lose!

Quote Originally Posted by janagram View Post
    with the yogurt, its just that nonfat dairy is just too high carb. stay clear of nonfat or lowfat dairy.
    not to sound like a diet expert (tho' I should be after all the diets I've been on!)
    Hey, Lizch! did you have much weight to lose when you started the zone? I did the zone and lost about 30 lbs. years ago. Now I need to lose that same 30. But I can't do the zone again....sometimes you just can't go back to what worked once. I dunno why.....refusal to measure? So here I am...ready to learn and lose!
    I think I weighed about 140 when I first started zone, and lost about 25. Stuck with that for quite a while, but then regained 15. With Primal I lost 25lbs again, to the lowest weight I've ever been. I liked zone, but it was too much focus on food composition and didn't help me tendency to obsess about food. Primal feels like something I can do for the long haul--after only 4 months, it feels totally normal, easy, and healthy.
    Liz.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    thanks. this way seems hopeful.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast