Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: women and weight gain page 2

janagram is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    visited the zone lately????? they've got bagels, cookies, bread, all made with soy---- kinda scary!! you just eat those and no meat, or meat as condiment....

Ms Adventure Seeker is offline Junior Member
    I am on my third week of going Primal and I lost six pounds the first two weeks. I am finishing up my third week and have gained three pounds. I have been strict on going Primal and have been following it to the dot. I eat nothing but meats , the right vegetables and fruits. I never go out to restaurants or eat out. I have fasted a little off and on as well and keep my carb maximum to around 50 if I have any at all. Any advice or conclusions ?

this one stumps me, too. if you're being that strict....?? (wish I could say the same)
    or rather wish I could be very strict...and lose the lbs! I am losing slowly......all you can do is keep at it. I'm sure it will have good results soon....then again, check out the fats. If your carbs are very low, they won't matter, but otherwise they can get pretty high. I wonder sometimes if women can eat all that bacon.....help! don't hit me, grokettes!!!

wait! forget what I just said......I read in another thread (maybe nutrition) where someone said Nuts, dairy and booze, are ususally the culprit!!!!!!! True!!!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Ladies~
    If you want to drop body fat, you need a calorie deficit. I believe this is true, unless you have a serious metabolic disorder.

How you get there may vary. You could:

• Eat lots of non-starchy veggies to fill you up and help keep a calorie deficit.
    • Do Intermittent Fasting to keep an overall calorie deficit.
    • Eat low carb or very low carb which will likely reduce your appetite and help you maintain a calorie deficit.
    • Track your calories with FitDay and make sure you eat enough to maintain a calorie deficit.
    • Build up your muscle mass through strength training to boost your metabolism and help you to maintain a calorie deficit.

It's not magic and from what I can see on this forum, everyone who has lost body fat has utilized one or all of these methods--though they may not realize it, since all of them are under the heading of Primal Blueprint.

It is important not to eat too few calories or your metabolism will down-regulate and make it harder, if not impossible to drop the body fat. A 500 calorie deficit is commonly suggested, but you may need a smaller one.

There are some folks who do need to drop dairy, or nightshades or occasionally eggs because of inflammation that stalls their fat loss.

Vitamin D sufficiency will definitely help with fat loss.

Once you reach your goal body fat, you'll probably not need to track anything and just eating Primally only when you are hungry will be sufficient to maintain. Some of us may need to maintain lower carbs so we can do this.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-24-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Svidrigailoff is offline Junior Member
    Very interesting discussion. Is there any research to suggest that there are gender differences in how people's bodies react to this way of eating?

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    dropping nuts and dairy made a difference for me and I only need to lose a few kgs -- i know we are all different but this helped me

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Why are you eating six times a day?

Your day:

B: 2 eggs, 1/4 cup summer squash, 1 cup kale, 1 roma tomato, 2 turkey sausage links
    S: almonds/cashews organic turkey stick
    L: Cobb Salad w/ balsamic dressing on side
    S: Prob. yogurt w/ protein powder
    D: 10 oz steak, house salad w/ italian dressing on side, little bit of coleslaw
    S: Blueberries, may have eaten some yogurt with it
    Cauliflower dipped into reg. cream cheese

Sometimes I'll throw protein powder into greek yogurt (its non fat though) for a snack, or eat some cheese.
    What I eat changes everyday; sometimes I think i have more fat than other times. I graze around the house: after lunch out I'll still be hungry so i might pick at some almonds, steak in the fridge, veggies and salsa, yogurt, etc.
    My day:
    B: Coffee w/ coconut milk
    L: Cobb Salad w/ balsamic dressing
    D: 16 oz steak, artichoke
    That is truly my day today, I did actually have a cobb salad and a steak. I haven't gotten around to the artichoke yet. Not hungry. Might eat it tomorrow. Have you ever tried skipping all those snacks?
    Last edited by aktres; 01-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Elspeth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It is important not to eat too few calories or your metabolism will down-regulate and make it harder, if not impossible to drop the body fat. A 500 calorie deficit is commonly suggested, but you may need a smaller one.
    Do you have any suggestions for a "GOOD" guideline to follow as far as calculating what calorie level we should be at (i.e. maint cals <minus> deficit). I have found some hugely varying suggestions for what my maintenance cals should be. On the sites that calculate your calorie level for you (including the deficit) they always always always simply say 1200, because I'm barely 5' tall.

THANKS!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for a "GOOD" guideline to follow as far as calculating what calorie level we should be at (i.e. maint cals <minus> deficit). I have found some hugely varying suggestions for what my maintenance cals should be. On the sites that calculate your calorie level for you (including the deficit) they always always always simply say 1200, because I'm barely 5' tall.

THANKS!
    I wish I did! There are women here much smaller than me who can eat almost twice as much...so many factors affect metabolism...

What I did was to track my foods the first week of eating Primal using FitDay. I noticed I was eating between 1300-1700 calories. I hadn't been lifting consistently for awhile, so I knew I would be burning more calories as I grew muscle and my metabolic rate went up. I also knew that I would get more active as I got more fit, so I didn't want to drop my calories too much. I looked at a couple of the equations here and 1500 just felt like a good number for me--eating vlc has make it much easier to stay at or below 1500 most days. I'm still losing, so it seems to be a good place for me--it's really a matter of trial & error...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast