Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just need some affirmation and input. page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

I just need some affirmation and input.

Shop Now
    I went off the deep end for Thanksgiving and could use some consolation here.... Right now I'm in a sluggish carb haze, what should I expect as reprecautions here? If it helps at all I did some intense strength training yesterday, I had a 24hr fast leading up to the meal, and I'm fairly in shape.

I had:

Piles of turkey
    Squash
    Veggies
    Sweet potato
    Fruit salad
    Wine

.....which led to

Quinoa salad and some gluten free walnut loaf

.....which led to

Six big slices of pie. Gluten free, but still loaded with carbs and sugar.

I'm bummed out you guys. It was very much the 'special occasion once a year' mentality at work, but now I feel guilty and awful. I've been 100% Primal for the last four months and this is the first time I've given into sugar/carbs.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Oh good grief, just wake up tomorrow and eat right again. Don't even think of IFing or extra exercise as some sort of penance or fix...none of it matters in the long run. One day of eating a ton isn't going to matter one tiny bit as long as it's JUST one day.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Oh good grief, just wake up tomorrow and eat right again. Don't even think of IFing or extra exercise as some sort of penance or fix...none of it matters in the long run. One day of eating a ton isn't going to matter one tiny bit as long as it's JUST one day.
    You're right, thank you. I panicked for a moment since it's the first time, but I should know to trust myself more.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I know I have an annoying way of picking apart words. That said, 'guilt' involves a fear of retribution or judgment. It's something that many of us learned from OCD parents or religious dogma. 'Remorse', on the other hand, is a very useful tool for modifying our behavior. It's feeling regret for a choice and owning it, knowing that we're accountable for our actions.

If you are feeling guilty, than I will tell you to stop it. That is pure silliness. If you hit an old lady and steal her purse or you set someone's property on fire, than you should feel guilty. If you have goals that are going to take a bit longer to achieve because you did not eat primally on a holiday and you feel that you cheated yourself, than that is remorse. Acknowledge it, learn your lesson, and let it go. If you're really trying to be primal, remember that Mark does not espouse obsession. He says that real life happens and to aim for 100% but accept that it's unrealistic, and that 80% is reasonable. That's him.

You have to make your own rules. Your remorse will motivate you to stick to your standards tomorrow. People that live by their values but that can relax a bit are much more fun to be around. Intense perfectionists can be such a drag.

Let it go. Tomorrow is a new day.

Oh! By the way ... Happy Thanksgiving!

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    crikey. i've cheated like that almost weekly for the past couple of months. weight loss totally stopped as a result, but i haven't put on any weight either.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Uhhhhhh... post a thread when you eat half a cheesecake.

Pansy.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

sharonss is offline Member
    Indeed. . . no penance, no regret, no punishment. After all, tomorrow is another day, as someone famous once said. :-)

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Stop obsessing, and try not to make a habit of this kind of behaviour.

The reason that there is even a debate about what diet is optimal for health and or fat loss (low fat / high carb, paleo, twinkies! ) is because the feedback loop is quite long.

If the instant you put a piece of nutritional garbage into your system ( I'm lookin' at you, Twinkie ) your adipose tissue increased in size, then you would pretty quickly stop eating those Twinkies. But we all know that's not how it works. It takes weeks for changes in diet to manifest in observable changes in body composition. So, unless there's something that you're not telling us, like you've decided that every day until 2011 is going to be Thanksgiving for you, it's time to regroup, refocus and get on with it.

-PK

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It ain't the end of the world, but this is why I'm not down with 'holiday eating' taken to extremes. You can always exercise moderation.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Just get back on the wagon today and move on!! You will do fine don't lose momentum.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast