Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Hair question. page

Metismomma is offline Senior Member

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Hair question.

Shop Now
    I've been debating posting this merely because I have no clue how to title the thread.
    I have a weird situation going on with my hair.
    Ok, so since I was a kid I have had thick hair. Thick coarse hair that had a bit of a wave to it. It frizzes like crazy when its humid, if I let it grow too long the end split like crazy so I have puff ball hair*sigh* Might I also add, I have been going grey since I was around 16-17 though its gotten worse in the past 6 years or so. After I had my oldest, I have also been losing a lot of hair.
    Or at least that was the issue. The past 3 months my hair loss has been significant. We're talking clog the bathtub drain twice kind of hair loss. I haven't been losing any weight since my initial weight loss about 5 months ago.
    BUT
    My hair is softer than its ever been in my life. As much hair as I have lost, its still thick. Its just feels soft and fine now. My hair is smooth, and the hair loss has slowed down.
    So...is this a result of PB and a good thing or is this the beginning of the end and I should invest in a wig?
    I don't know if I should be happy that I have naturally soft hair for the first time in my life or keep freaking out!
    Calm the f**k down.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I've heard someone else mention telogen eff???? something or another?? perhaps its that. Give it another 6 months and see how you go... If you read Grizz's stuff on silica, he reckons it's made his hair grow back!!!

Telogen effluvium. Its been awhile since I lost any weight and even then I have only lost 10-15 lbs dependng on the day. I stopped losing any weight since July? More like June. I don't think thats the cause. If it was, my hair would still be coming out thick and coarse...
    I used silica for almost a year back when I was younger but it didn't help my hair. Afaik, it didn't do anything for me at all : / I'm theorizing that maybe...just maybe this is how my hair is supposed to be? Thick but soft? My thyroid function seems to be better, at least thats what the TSH results showed. Of course it could be just the eternal optimist in me
    Calm the f**k down.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Iron. I'd almost bet on it. But get tested- in particular your ferritin levels. Hemaplex is what I supp with- no typical iron side effects.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

I was debating that too. I was tested last year so I don't have any new results. Last year my levels were fine. Considering how we eat, my iron levels "should" be fine. Since iron can be toxic and I don't have any idea what my level is, I started supplementing B-vitamins for now. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and start taking Floradix or Iron Vital Finstead(I can't get Hemaplex as quickly, though maybe I can get my boss to see if she can order some in)
    Calm the f**k down.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Deez nuts, have you tried them?

Buy me dinner and talk to my dh first. he might not be keen on me trying them
    Calm the f**k down.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    My hair is softer than its ever been in my life. As much hair as I have lost, its still thick. Its just feels soft and fine now. My hair is smooth, and the hair loss has slowed down.
    coarse hair is often associated with thyroid stuff.
    your thyroid function is better.
    you have less hair loss...
    hair is softer....

Sounds like things may be moving in the right direction. I'd be making sure all b vite needs are being met (and exceeded) and would have ferritin levels checked just to be sure.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Buy me dinner and talk to my dh first. he might not be keen on me trying them
    I literally LOL'd

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I was debating that too. I was tested last year so I don't have any new results. Last year my levels were fine. Considering how we eat, my iron levels "should" be fine. Since iron can be toxic and I don't have any idea what my level is, I started supplementing B-vitamins for now. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and start taking Floradix or Iron Vital Finstead(I can't get Hemaplex as quickly, though maybe I can get my boss to see if she can order some in)
    I wouldn't supplement iron without knowing ferritin level but should you decide to do so, please be sure you're taking Ferrochel (ie iron bisglycinate aka albion labs chelate) as it's really the only one that simply does not built up to toxic levels. (ever...based on the toxicity studies).

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast