Thread: Best overall workout to do for 3 weeks? page

mgarone is offline Junior Member

Best overall workout to do for 3 weeks?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I am trying to figure out what I can do to get in the best possible shape in three weeks. I am having surgery on my knee in three weeks and would like to have good leg strength and overall strength to get me through the recovery process. What would you all recommend doing to get the most out of my workouts during the next three weeks?

I am a 21 year old and in relatively good shape, minus the knee defect, so I can and am willing/wanting to challenge myself before I will have to be relatively sedentary for a while.

thanks so much,

Matt

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    From what I know about friends who've had knee work, one of the main things is make sure your range of motion/flex is maxed as much as you can going in. That's the main focus post-op, getting range of motion back into the joint so you can go back to doing normal things, and doing range of motion work pre-op always helps the post-op process.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

DIESEL is offline Junior Member
    Find a workout that you can handle with whatever your limitations are for your knee. During your recovery from the surgery, I'd focus on working your upper body with free weights that won't affect your recovery. I'm sure your doctors will have you on some type of physical therapy to get your knee back to 100%. I'd ask them for recommendations as far as what you can do for your lower body without compromising the surgery. Good luck!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think his question is what can he do BEFORE his knee surgery where he will be otherwise sedentary. I don't think you can really do much in three weeks, sorry to say, any type of noticeable progress takes a little longer than that. Do you currently have a routine? just up the intensity I guess. There is no such thing as one thing that will give you max results, and most people are just going to tell you what their favorite workouts are (Starting Strength, Strong lifts, something Crossfit-esque, bodyweight training, high intensity interval training, etc etc) find something you like and just be active before you're forced to sit still for a while... good luck in your recovery.

If this is a weight gain concern, just keep your diet clean starting now and during your recovery and even in the absence of physical activity you shouldn't put on weight and could even lose weight. You didn't mention that but I figured I'd throw it in there.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarone View Post
    Hello all,

I am trying to figure out what I can do to get in the best possible shape in three weeks. I am having surgery on my knee in three weeks and would like to have good leg strength and overall strength to get me through the recovery process. What would you all recommend doing to get the most out of my workouts during the next three weeks?

I am a 21 year old and in relatively good shape, minus the knee defect, so I can and am willing/wanting to challenge myself before I will have to be relatively sedentary for a while.

thanks so much,

Matt
    Yeah, it is too late (unfortunately) to build any appreciable strength in the next three weeks. And overtraining in a vain attempt to achieve this is going to cause you problems going into surgery.

Like the previous posters have said - focus on ROM. Increasing your comfortable range of motion in the hip, knee and ankle will all improve your ability to recover quickly. Stretching, dynamic movement and some myofascial release will help.

mgarone is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all,

I was afraid it was too late to make any serious changes, but nevertheless I will continue with the routine I have now. That usually entails lifting 2-3 times a week and then one sprint day with minimal cardio mixed in. I will have to focus on the diet aspect when I am recovering because fat gain is a concern for me. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate any and all help.

Matt

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarone View Post
    Thank you all,

I was afraid it was too late to make any serious changes, but nevertheless I will continue with the routine I have now. That usually entails lifting 2-3 times a week and then one sprint day with minimal cardio mixed in. I will have to focus on the diet aspect when I am recovering because fat gain is a concern for me. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate any and all help.

Matt
    I think the advice was to focus on ROM...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I think the advice was to focus on ROM...
    He's referring to my advice to focus on diet when he's in rehab so as to not gain weight (or not too much of it) due to being sedentary.