Thread: Are they Primal? A few foods I haven't heard about... page

Klynch44 is offline Junior Member

Are they Primal? A few foods I haven't heard about...

Primal Fuel
    There are a few foods that get skipped over in the book and I've been looking for them on the forum,
    but don't seem to see anything about them:

Cashews - Mark talks about peanuts, but I never hear anything about whether Cashews are ok or not?

Peppers - I hear the occasional remark about 'nightshades' but notice most recipes don't include them and hardly anyone lists them in their daily menus? Are they ok?

Tomatoes - I notice they're in some recipes, but I don't think they're listed in the book? Are they too high in carb or something? Is it the nightshade thing again?

Anyone else notice any missing items? Anybody have some feedback on the above?

Thanks

Primal since Nov. 6, 2010
    Down: 11 lbs
    Many more to go

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klynch44 View Post
    Peppers - I hear the occasional remark about 'nightshades' but notice most recipes don't include them and hardly anyone lists them in their daily menus? Are they ok?

Tomatoes - I notice they're in some recipes, but I don't think they're listed in the book? Are they too high in carb or something? Is it the nightshade thing again?
    Nightshades can be inflammatory to some people. It primarily derives from the chemical solanine, found in nightshades like red/green bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, paprika, etc. It can't be diagnosed like an allergy, but enough people have solanine sensitivity that they decide to just leave it out of their eating altogether.

Case in point... I had a period a few weeks ago when I had very "creaky" joints, particularly my wrists. They'd be popping and such a LOT during the day. This also came during a period when I was purchasing one, two bottles of salsa per week. Stopped buying salsa, stopped having the creaky wrists. And I'm 22.

If you can tolerate nightshades, and solanine, then yeah they're fine for inclusion. But for optimal health, if there is a sensitivity, it's best to just leave them out altogether.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Cashews are tree nuts, not legumes like peanuts. Like all nuts, they should be eaten in moderation.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I keep nuts limited in general. Cashews are one of my favorites. OMGs, cashew butter is heaven on a spoon, but it's a treat. A rare treat- lol.

I see no problem with peppers or tomatoes if you can tolerate them. They're two of my favorites actually.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I agree with all of the above. I can eat tomatoes and peppers. My dad can't eat tomatoes unless they are cooked, but he can tolerate peppers. Since going paleo my dad can tolerate tomatoes raw better, but still can't have them more than a few times a week. They make his arthritis flare up.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Cashews are tree nuts, not legumes like peanuts.
    Well, technically they're fruit seeds, not true nuts... Technically so are almonds and a few others. But in the culinary sense, they're nuts.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Well yes, true. Delicious seeds.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I thought cashews needed quite a bit of processing before they are edible - so really, not more primal than chick peas or lentils, I'd have thought?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    All nuts/seeds need a bit of processing in order to make them more digestible, although most are edible raw. I believe cashews need to be cooked/roasted in some manner to get the shells off?? In _Neanderthin_ the author does not include cashews b/c they cannot be eaten raw. From a PB point of view they are fine in moderation as they are included in the nut category. Avoid if you feel they don't fit w/ your primal way of eating.

IMO, anyone eating LOTS of nuts/seeds ought to look into this: http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...ytic-acid.html

Nuts and seeds do contain phytates and antinutrients like grains and legumes (this article suggests they may contain MORE phytates than grains/legumes!!) Without proper processing (soaking, sprouting and/or roasting, etc.) you *may* not want to include them in your diet at all. I personally feel best when I limit them and use only as a condiment. They are also, in general, quite high in omega 6s which is never a good thing. (Macadamia nuts are the exception--low in PUFAs in general compared to all other nuts/seeds.

Agree w/ all pp's on the nightshades (peppers/tomatoes/etc). Its all about listening to *your* body. Cutting them out for a bit, then adding them back in, might be very helpful if you suspect you have issues with them... (If you can ever manage to cut them out in the first place--something I have trouble with! ) PB-wise, they are a-ok if you tolerate them.