Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I am kind of scared page 4

Brad is offline Member

Shop Now

Annika,

Its great that your questioning this info, just as your questioning CW! I think Mark, and others like him came to the Paleo conclusion from doing just that.

You can't play follow the leader if you want to win the Human Race!

Acmebike is offline Member

I'd heartily recommend digging into Dr Michael Eades' blog.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/abcs-big-meal-propaganda/

Watch the vid, read his analysis, and delve into the comments. A good example of how mainstream/CW media covers these issues. The anti-fat bias is ever present. If you can spend a half hour each morning reading "random posts" from Eades' blog, you will really get an education. He dissects studies, exposes the bias, exposes poor/flawed/outright lies in media coverage of same studies. The guy is a genius.

That above link should bring you an "aha" and his posts will help you see through the smoke and mirrors.

This little post shows how "science" is done. These are the studies (observational) that alllll that media is reporting on. And from the previous Dr Eades' post you can see how poor studies, are then mis-represented! Double whammy.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/s...nal-studies-2/

Annika is offline Senior Member

Thanks for those links, AcmeBike. Dr Eades' blog does have some very interesting info - I've looked through it before.

Those heart scan pics are still buggin' me, though.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Tarlach is offline Member

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

aaaah, but was the diet that caused the poor heart scans from the saturated fat we Primal folks get from grass fed organic beef, game meat, wild caught fish, fresh organic dairy and the like? Often in studies, hydrogenated vegetable and seed oils, oxidized cholesterol from powdered eggs, and other franken fats and processed fake-meats are the sources of "artery clogging saturated fat"....

nina_70 Guest

I have to admit, I'm with Acmebike on this. Without knowing exactly what those people on the Atkins-type-diet ate it's really hard to make any relevant conclusions. Were they eating Trans-fats? Were they eating processed fats? PUFA's? In the movie "Fat Head" the guy did go eat MacDonalds & fast food for the "experiment". Most of his blood values improved except for a few (sorry, can't remember the exact details) and he did postulate it was the Trans fats in the fast food that were the problem.

Whenever I feel fear about these issues I always go back to our "roots"...what were we eating when the human race was truely Primal? How did we survive and thrive? And, proper saturated fats are always a big part of that answer.

nina_70 Guest

Here's an example...This is not a thorough scientific article in any way (you'd have to dig up the original study), but here's a report of Trans Fats interferring with blood regulation...exactly what they were showing on the artery scans

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0616121345.htm

So, did any of those guys eat Trans fats? I wonder..?

To quote AcmeBike: "This little post shows how "science" is done. These are the studies (observational) that alllll that media is reporting on. And from the previous Dr Eades' post you can see how poor studies, are then mis-represented! Double whammy."

TOTALLY agree. This is my personal observation. Every whacked out article touting that saturated fat is bad for you ALWAYS boils down to a very poorly represented 'obersvational' study! Whereas, the ones that support (healthy) saturated fat being good for us, has actual scientifically-controlled study and/ or real humans living and breathing the benefits (guinea pig studies, I call them. My favorite kinds! ;-).

hovad123 Guest

I would like to know if anyone has a recommended amount of time to be on the PB before getting everything tested.

I saw one mention of about 3 months. Any other thoughts? I wasn't sure if that was too soon...

I also struggle with all of this but I am more of a bacon than special k kind of person so oh well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast