Thread: Itchy mouth page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Itchy mouth

Shop Now
    I always look forward to pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. It may be one of my favorite foods This year I am spending thanksgiving alone and decided to get a piece of pie. Well, I ended up eating it tonight. It was yummy, but my mouth and lips are quite itchy now. I used to get this same feeling if I ate supermarket birthday cake - especially if I ate the icing. But now it seems worse.

I presume this is some type of allergy. It seems to be from overly sweet things. Is it possible to have an allergy to sugar?
    Last edited by jammies; 11-24-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Certainly sounds like at least a sensitivity, if not an allergy.

If your symptoms get worse, take a benadryl (diphenhydramine, also a common ingredient in OTC sleep aids, and not good to mix with alcohol).

If you feel your throat swelling, get medical help immediately. Not to be an alarmist, but be cautious.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    There are so many things in supermarket pies and cakes, besides the sugar, that you could be sensitive or allergic too, as well.

+1 on Greensprout's advice. I almost died once, long ago---because I didn't know I was allergic to Timothy Hay That was NO fun, at all.

Great advice on the Benadryl....I just popped one! This reaction is hovering right in the gray zone between annoying and concerning. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself

The pie was actually from Whole Foods. It had a lot of non-primal ingredients, but nothing particularly weird. I have NO idea what is in supermarket bakery icing - I'm almost afraid to look.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    It very well may be your body telling you that pumpkin pie is not healthy.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you can have an actual allergy to sugar due to the lack of proteins in it, but it certainly seems there's something about it your body doesn't like.

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by racingsnake View Post
    I don't think you can have an actual allergy to sugar due to the lack of proteins in it, but it certainly seems there's something about it your body doesn't like.
    Very true, probably the gluten, eggs, nuts, soya etc...
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

I think that Oral Allergy Syndrome seems right on the money. I hope so anyway - a true food allergy would be much more trouble. Now I just need to figure out what the trigger is. I feel like it is table sugar, but I can't find too much on sugar triggering OAS. I will keep looking.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!