Thread: Help me make this Sweet Potato & Apple dish as Primal as possible please! page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Question Help me make this Sweet Potato & Apple dish as Primal as possible please!

I'm altering a dish I was introduced to recently. It was served as a side but could pass as a dessert too. I'm making it for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Basically it's peeled and sliced sweet potatoes and apples, drenched in 1/2 cup orange juice and 1 cup brown sugar and baked with cinnamon on top.

I'm planning to alter it by using fresh squeezed juice from oranges and using a small amount of molasses or maple syrup instead of brown sugar. It calls for like 1 cup of sugar but I was planning on using 2 Tablespoons of molasses instead and let the natural sweetness of the potatoes and apples come out on their own. I was also thinking of adding 1/2 cup of butter -- probably dissolving the molasses in the melted butter. Gonna serve with whipped heavy cream.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I'd be happy with just the sweet potatoes/apples with butter and cinnamon without all the rest, but I'd definitely go for a sweeter version, too.

Your changes sound really good, maybe some toasted and chopped nuts would be nice additions. You could also add some raisins (they'd probably be really nice if they sit in the orange juice, as I think they'd soak it up and become nice and plump in the oven), and you could add a bit of nutmeg or allspice/cloves to complement the cinnamon.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Awesome ideas...thanks!

I was trying to keep the sweetness down and why I want to get rid of the massive amount of processed sugar and go for just a smaller dilute amount with the molasses.