Thread: No poo and hair highlights page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

No poo and hair highlights

Primal Fuel
    Hey folks,
    I'm looking at going in for my yearly round of winter highlights. Issue comes in, I no longer use shampoo. I use baking soda and ACV maybe once every couple weeks. Do I need to change this up if and when I go get my highlights? I wouldn't think so, I'd think chemically treated hair would be even happier without more chemicals, but I have no earthly clue.
    I don't think it matters, but I have waist length, naturally blonde, fine, straight hair and LOTS of it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    What color are you highlighting your hair? I know that the blonder/lighter you try to go, the more damaging it is to the hair. If you are blonde already, and you said these are winter highlights, I would think you are going slightly darker...or are you getting blonde highlights because of no sun?

I do find it interesting that you no longer use shampoo or other chemicals in your hair but have no problem checmically lightening it. I, personally, still use shampoo and highlight/color my hair so am not judging, just find it interesting.

Carrie

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm also no-poo, but highlight my hair.

I didn't go no-poo to avoid the chemicals (though the daily exposure is surely WAY more than a once every few months highlight that never even touches the scalp). I tried it because I was curious. And the benefits have been not wasting money on shampoo, conditioner, and other hair products, while having the loveliest, easiest to manage hair I've ever had!

I haven't had any highlights done since I stopped using poo...haven't even had a haircut in fact, which is testament to how much better behaved my hair is without poo!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Carres, I get winter highlights once a year to even out my summer winter coloration. I have gratuitous natural highlights during the summer, but none appear during the winter, making it look like I have roots growing out when it's just a season shift. Getting really fine, nonchunky, 2-3 shades lighter highlights during the winter helps keep my summer color from looking like a bad dye job in the winter. I didn't g no poo for the anti-chemical, I went no poo to see if my hair would behave better. It does, and it's cheaper, so I stuck with it.
    Liz, I hadn't had to either, and I usually don't go in for my winter highlights until I notice that look like I've got roots growing in. I figured it was better to ask and have the answer and not need it, that need the answer and not have it. I have seen my winter color appear yet, so hopefully, no highlights are needed this winter.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

sharonss is offline Member
    Let us know how it goes. I'm curious. I color every 6 weeks, down to very scant poo (hee hee) every 5th day.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    I have been full coloring hair without poo and it is working fine. I am sure you will be fine, it will strip the hair of the natural oils but your hair bounces back in a couple of days.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Hey there,
    I do hair for a living. I am also no poo (as well as about half of my clients) and I go really light with my hair. Your color will be just fine. In fact the color will stay truer for longer. If you feel like you need more moisture use coconut oil for a few days.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wish I could find a no-poo stylist here. I am getting to the point where I really need to get my haircut, and I'm debating between my usual fancy place (where they'll slather my head with stuff I don't want, and might turn their noses up at the no poo stance...can you tell as you're cutting hair who uses poo and who doesn't?) or going to a cheap hair cutting place where they won't even wash my hair unless I ask them to!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food