Thread: High Fat Diet and Skin Elasticity page

solovus is offline Junior Member

High Fat Diet and Skin Elasticity

Shop Now
    My wife is reading the book "Calories don't count" because Gary Taubes mentioned it in his video that was posted on MDA awhile back. Anyways...in the book the writer states that very large people who lose a lot of weight on a high fat diet do not experience droopy skin after losing weight. The writer suggests that the skin elasticity is dramatically improved by the high fat diet. This makes sense to me on some levels, but I've never heard of it so....does anyone know of any scientific basis for this or maybe even have some personal experience with this??? It seems like it would be well known if it were true, but like I said, I've never heard of it.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    My skin is certainly a lot younger looking than it was pre-primal (I'm 46, and was heading toward granny-hands before changing my diet). I didn't have much weight to lose, though, so I don't know if the extra vitality in my skin would have been enough to tighten completely after big weight loss.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    skin elasticity is improved with a high SaFAd diet due to stability of the SaFA and reduced AGEs.

However, dermal integrity cannot be restored if it has been lost. Age is a significant factor as well, but ftmp one gained enough weight to cause damage to one's dermis, excess skin will be a problem in spite of the high SaFA, nutrient dense diet.

Unfortunate but true.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure a high fat diet helps, in lots of ways. But elasticity comes from proteins in the connective tissue, not from fat.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I've only lost 9-10kg and have no more to lose. However, I now have some loose skin around my chest and midriff. I'm over 50 and holding out some hope that it will tighten, but have no expectation
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Nfbrucker is offline Junior Member
    Hey! I just stumbled past this blog today and I was looking for the answer to this as well! I have lost over 100lbs and luckily I did it when I was younger so I don't have too much extra skin-- noticeable to me but I guess that's it. I fluctuate around 8-9% body fat but still struggle to get my lower abdomen to tighten up! It looks like a cross between extra skin/water weight. Some days and even times it looks better than others so I'm thinking it may be a little retention. I have taken pics to see its not just me nitpicking fine details. Anyways, I have been doing pretty low carb most of the time and moderate protein and fat for quite some time. Today I had this weird craving for peanut butter and let's just say I went a little overboard and at literally AT LEAST a third of a jar of all natural peanut butter (usually get almond butter but my store was all out). After feeling incredibly full afterwards, I noticed that my body looked more swollen, and my skin looked tighter than ever. There were no more wrinkles under my stomach, nor was there a little dimple I usually have since losing the weight! I thought my stomach was kind of bloated and gave it some time to judge again. It still feels tight!! I usually drink a good amount of water as well which usually keeps it looking "ok" but today I slacked on it, along with eating all that peanut butter and for some reason my stomach still seems flat! I have a broad amount of knowledge being a fitness professional but this sounds kind of crazy to me! Maybe there was a reason why I always seemed to crave peanut butter all along(?) Can anyone elaborate on this?