Thread: Stuck! page

goatmeal is offline Junior Member

Stuck!

Hi, folks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

First off I've been Primal since February of this year. I wanted to lose some weight and while Googling landed on marksdailyapple.com. I was surprised by how much information can be learned just from Mark's blog alone. Armed with just the basics I lost about 30 pounds and was the most lean I had ever been. I fell off the wagon not too long after reaching my goal.

I gained back about ten pounds in a few months but got back on the horse and have had my butt glued to the saddle ever since. Round 2 hasn't seen the same results though. While I'm sure I've lost the weight -- I'm not sure since I don't keep a scale in the house -- I don't look as lean. My diet is exactly the same which might mean I've plateaued.

Here's a sample of my diet:

Breakfast - 3 eggs, sometimes with cheese. Sausage.
    Lunch - 8 oz of steak. Mixed vegetables (squash, carrots, peas, etc)
    Dinner - Apple/banana and almonds. Sometimes I'll have a chicken breast.

I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 3-4 times a week. The classes are pretty cardio intensive.

I'm usually Primal Monday and Tuesday, have a single cheat meal Wednesday, Primal again Thursday and Friday, have a cheat meal Saturday, and then Primal again Sunday. I try really, really hard never to cheat but I usually can't make it more than a few days, 3 tops, without having something non-Primal.

One thing I've wanted to add is more weight lifting.

My ultimate goal is to be as lean as possible (abs). If you guys can offer some suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post
    I try really, really hard never to cheat but I usually can't make it more than a few days, 3 tops, without having something non-Primal.
    Quote Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post
    My ultimate goal is to be as lean as possible (abs). If you guys can offer some suggestions I'd really appreciate it.
    You're going to have to look at how contradictory these two statements are, and find a better balance. We all cheat, we all use our 20%, but two full meals twice a week seems like a bit much. My 20% is usually a couple beers or a handful of nachos, and never more than once a week. If you really want to see those abs remember, they're made in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    You're going to have to look at how contradictory these two statements are, and find a better balance. We all cheat, we all use our 20%, but two full meals twice a week seems like a bit much. My 20% is usually a couple beers or a handful of nachos, and never more than once a week. If you really want to see those abs remember, they're made in the kitchen.
    I'll be honest. I don't have Mark's book (yet). Maybe the 20% concept is better explained there but am I to assume it means we're allowed to cheat 20% of the time? If so, 2 cheat meals a week out of a possible 21 is only 10%! If you can explain this a bit to me or point me in the direction of an article I'd greatly appreciate it.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    less cheating = more abs.
    The 80/20 rule is there to a)allow people to enjoy some old favorites ex. beer b)help people survive holidays w/ non-primal people and c)help the perfectionists chill out a bit and the neurotics not stress so much. HOWEVER if you make it a rule to cheat 20% of the time you risk not achieving your goals. What's more important to you? cheats or abs?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    also...
    You don't seem to be eating much compared to the amount of cardio you do.
    You don't define "cheat". If your cheat is a glass of wine, that's one thing; if it's a deep-fried carb-fest, that could be a major problem.
    You've lost a good chunk of weight. That was the easy part. The last 5-10lbs are always the hardest. Seriously leaning out takes major dedication.
    Good luck.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Eat more protein and more fat and better carbs post workout (sweet potato, keep the squash, etc)

Limit the cheating, cheating is entirely mental, when you cheat (and this is obviously just my opinion) you're saying "I don't really like how I normally eat, it's not enjoyable, so I have to reward myself by eating this" get me? even if that's not your thought process. If you're serious about getting "super lean" you have to make more adjustments than someone who is simply trying to improve their health. Cutting out junk is a MUST. Once you commit not to cheat it will get easier and easier, in the meantime start making things you really like. Some of my foods now feel like I'm cheating (sweet potato fries with guacamole and bacon!!!) but I'm really not.

Maybe limit nut consumption, since you're pretty active (I did a month of bjj and it IS a killer workout) I wouldn't cut down on carbs too much, but do understand that there are better carbs than fruits and nuts.

They keys to getting lean are patience first and foremost, dialing in on your diet whilst making it enjoyable (or you just stay with it), appropriate rest, managing stress, physical activity (you might want to do some strength training to compliment the jitz) and uhh I think that's it. You might want to try intermittent fasting too, but definitely stop cheating, or make sure your cheats aren't so massive. No offense, but don't come back and say your cheats are only this pizza here or that thing there, definitely some CW cheats are better than others, but if it's anything carb heavy or way too high in calories you're not going to lean out if you're keeping them around.

Grizz is offline Banned
    I'm not sure since I don't keep a scale in the house
    Here's my suggestion. STOP MAKING EXCUSES and get serious.

1) Start by getting a scale in your bathroom

2) Next get Mark's book and READ IT

3) NO CHEATING on the diet.

Best to you,
    Grizz

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Here's my suggestion. STOP MAKING EXCUSES and get serious.

1) Start by getting a scale in your bathroom

Best to you,
    Grizz
    he doesn't need a scale.

and once again, copy everything iniQuity said and paste it here.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    he doesn't need a scale.

and once again, copy everything iniQuity said and paste it here.
    You should start my fan club

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You guys are awesome. Thanks to everyone that has posted.