Thread: Anti-Primal Nutritionist Fired By Doctor!!! page

perldog007 is offline Junior Member

Anti-Primal Nutritionist Fired By Doctor!!!

Shop Now
    A dear friend and house guest who is also a type 2 diabetic thought I was beyond repair when I told her I had read this stuff from a guy living in Malibu, who is not a doctor, and was going to stop eating grains.

She saw my blood glucose, body comp, weight, energy levels, and general wellness take a quick bump for the better in a matter of weeks. So she decided to try it. We are not hardcore and only militant about not eating grains, we do limit starch to one or two taters per week for her, sweet taters about once per week for me.

She logged her diet ( and improving blood glucose, decreasing insulin use) for the Food Nazi, er, um I mean Diabetes Educator who has a M.S. in Nutrition. The (canine dowager) went slam through the roof on me, and the patient.

She insisted that this was an "Atkins" diet and/or "Bodybuilding" and that any improvements would be temporary. Some of her guidelines were laughable. According to her literature, a 2 oz hot dog on a bun ( extra credit for 'whole wheat') with catsup and mustanrd, 1/2 orange, and a cup of skim milk is a perfect breakfast.

BUT!! a kiwi fruit, two hard boiled eggs and a cup of cottage cheese is TOO MUCH MEAT AND FAT< YOUR KIDNEYS ARE GOING TO FAIL IF YOU DON"T HAVE A CORONARY FIRST ( patient is middle aged female with 120lbs of LBM {omron bf analyzer} and 38.4% bf....

Where she really crossed the line was telling the patient that SHE was going to get her off of insulin, that she should not have taken a prescribed dose recorded on one of her journals, and that STEVIA WAS AN ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER ("...we just don't know that much about it.." ).

When I showed the doctor the study results for paleo vs diabetes diet, PB vs Atkins and BB diets, and information on Stevia, the nutritionist was immediately deemed to be no longer a part of the patient's care plan. Grok on! ( the whole bordering on practising medicine thing without a license probably didn't help the cause of the nutritionist).

Prognosis,: There may be hope for these humans yet.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perldog007 View Post
    ( the whole bordering on practising medicine thing without a license probably didn't help the cause of the nutritionist).
    uh, yeah. Whoa.

Prognosis,: There may be hope for these humans yet.
    There certainly is a slow but steady paradigm shift happening. I'm seeing it all around me right now.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps the nutritionist wasn't so much "Anti-Primal" as she was stupid.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    There certainly is a slow but steady paradigm shift happening. I'm seeing it all around me right now.
    ITA. Maybe it's just because I am more aware of the weaknesses of the lipid-heart hypothesis and the fact that there are alternate hypotheses, but I feel like there is more and more acceptance.

Baby steps!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Perhaps the nutritionist wasn't so much "Anti-Primal" as she was stupid.
    Sounds like a case of BOTH!

Hurrah, I love a happy ending.

perldog007 is offline Junior Member

All's well that ends well

Update, my friend was agonizing over the celebratory feast today. I prestuffed her and the Mrs. with three egg omlettes, mushrooms, chives, cream cheese and smoked wild salmon for breakfast, talked her into just taking a shot and enjoying dinner. Of course she had a spinach leaf salad and eye of round steak for lunch to keep the feast within bounds.

Her insulin use is down, too early to tell as the slow acting night time insulin tends to have a 'stacking' effect in some patients but it looks like her own system may be gaining ground in sensitivity and response.

In any case, she's a happy camper eating PB. Diabetes diet - not so much. Now it is my duty to pen a letter to the nutritionist telling her grazie, ey no grazie. (sp?)

The whole thing about stevia being artificial when she hands out candy with sugar alchohol and aspartame, telling people to use Promise margarine..... WOW! Perhaps a two word communique would suffice ?