Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another thread for the ladies... page

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Another thread for the ladies...

Primal Fuel
    So...

I'm 43. For the past 3-4 years my period has been changing a lot, mostly it tends to start for an hour. Stop for a day, start for a day. Stop for a day. Light for a couple of days... then drizzle off.

My hormones in general have been out of whack, I'm hypothyroid (and have been for about 6 years, only treated for the past year and a half), and my adrenals were crapped out a couple of years ago (they didn't even get into the range until 11PM when they're supposed to be almost minimal). I have been seeing a really good doctor the past two years, and have been on thyroid meds for a little under two years, and have been doing things to help my adrenals (resting them, less caffine, taking supplements, etc.)

I've been primal since last year, though I go back and forth between 90% and sometimes having an 80% day, but I am usually pretty good. I do eat dairy though, cheese, etc.

So the past two months my period has been super heavy. It seems to start fine and go straight to bleeding like a stuck pig for a couple of days. I'm having bad cramps for a day and a half or so, and REALLY bloated for a few days. Then it's pretty much over, or at least minimal for a day or two.

My feeling is that my hormones are finally normalizing after my thyroid/adrenals had been whacked out which threw off my other hormones in the process. I think that between meds for the thyroid, doing the right stuff for the adrenals and eating mostly primal it's just finally doing some shifting around.

Anybody else having or have had this happen after a while on primal? I would definitely see it as a good thing... and I'm pretty sure that's it, but then it might just be normal perimenopausal changes as well. I guess I'm just looking to get some other ladies' experiences and maybe help get a handle on what's going on!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Well my hormones apparently started working in the right direction almost immediately. I don't have all the thyroid issues though. I am 37 and I have found that I had AF 3 weeks in on PB and I wasn't ever regular. If I had one every 3 or 4 months that would have been a lot. I am totally sold on the fact that it was PB for me. I only have PCOS, never regular but like I said one normal cycle and boom I am pregnant now, was impossible for me to get pregnant in the past without a lot of help.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I had really heavy periods for the first year or so of being primal. Now they have become a lot lighter and don't last as long. Except for my last one which was not super long but I had a really heay day. It didn't surprise me though since i ate a lot of crap the week after Halloween and I started my period around the same time. I know that being primal has definitely helped all my hormonal issues.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    but then it might just be normal perimenopausal changes as well. I guess I'm just looking to get some other ladies' experiences and maybe help get a handle on what's going on!

menorrhagia (flooding - ie heavy heavy menstrual bleeding) is a very common perimenopausal symptom.

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/help_yourse...menstrual_flow
    What causes very heavy menstrual bleeding?

This is not clear. Heavy flow is most common in the teens and in perimenopause—both are times of the lifecycle when estrogen levels tend to be higher and progesterone levels to be lower. Progesterone is made by the ovaries after ovulation. However, even though you may be having regular periods, it doesn’t mean you are ovulating! The lining of the uterus or endometrium sheds during a period. Estrogen’s job is to makes the endometrium thicker (and more likely to shed) and progesterone makes it thinner. Therefore it is likely that heavy flow is caused by too much estrogen and too little progesterone. However, this has not been well shown.

35 symptoms of menopaus
    e

1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (see note)
    2. Irregular heart beat
    3. Irritability
    4. Mood swings, sudden tears
    5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
    6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
    7. Loss of libido (see note)
    8. Dry vagina (see note)
    9. Crashing fatigue
    10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
    11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (see note)
    12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
    13. Disturbing memory lapses
    14. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence (see note)
    15. Itchy, crawly skin (see note)
    16. Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons (see note)
    17. Increased tension in muscles
    18. Breast tenderness
    19. Headache change: increase or decrease
    20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
    21. Sudden bouts of bloat
    22. Depression (see note)
    23. Exacerbation of existing conditions
    24. Increase in allergies
    25. Weight gain (see note)
    26. Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
    27. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
    28. Changes in body odor
    29. Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head (see note)
    30. Tingling in the extremities (see note)
    31. Gum problems, increased bleeding
    32. Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
    33. Osteoporosis (after several years)
    34. Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
    35. Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc. (see note)
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, the symptoms of menopause are the same as the symptoms of hypothyroidism...lol

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    My periods have become almost unbearable since going primal, I was a veggie for my teenage years and early twenties before that and had no hassle at all with them. The pain now is excruciating
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Deo
    Deo is offline Member
    Wow. Thats quite a list you have there. Where do I sign up for 'no menopause'? Goodness. Thanks though, thought I might be having signs and this makes me want to check in with my GP.

Thanks for the list Cilla!

LOL Nutmeg, I know... that's been part of the problem for me. I've had the majority of those symtpoms for 6 years. Now that I've been on thyroid meds for almost 2 years, my thyroid levels are getting better but I still have a lot of the symptoms I did before (they do seem to be improved a bit though? Maybe?) I know they've done testing in regards to my hormone levels (estrogen and progesterone) , but I'm not sure that means anything anymore. I'll dig up my test results this week and post them as perhaps they may shed some light on what's up...

I did try out taking progesterone for the 20 days before my period for about three months and I saw no changes whatsoever. Maybe I didn't give it enough time... it was a low dose progesterone from a compound pharmacy. I may readdress that and go back to taking it and give it more time in conjunction with being much more primal than I've been (I'm shooting for 100% for this month and then not going beneath 90% ever for a while...)

On a good note, I don't have weak, breaking fingernails!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I'm 47, on a clockwork 28 day cycle--even after 20 years of BCPs...(off BCPs for 3 years) Just went Primal a month ago and noticed that my cramps started later than normal and were less severe. I have always cramped prety severely except while on the Pill, so this is a welcome relief!

6 months prior to going Primal, I had noticed spotting for a day or 2 prior to bleeding--this may be perimenopausal...it could also be a hormonal shift since I had started using Pro-gest last year to help with my insomnia. After reading Dr. John Lee's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause", I am more convinced that estrogen dominance is the cause of many "perimenopausal" symptoms and that eliminating estrogen dominance either through eliminating xenoestrogens, changing our diet, taking herbs (like Chasteberry) or using bioidentical hormones is the way to a more easeful menopause. Also, no research yet, but I also imagine that vitamin D plays a huge role in hormone balancing.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmm... I may have to look into Chasteberry for sure. I am good on the D, I get tested every 4-6 months and take it every day.

So to add to this... on Sunday all of a sudden I got seriously SAD. Like the deep, want to cry for no reason sad... and I haven't done that since i was a teenager. Or pregnant. LOL. It's finally starting to lighten up today, but basically I had three days of crappy feelings based on nothing. If I'm figuring it out right, it was about ovulation time, but I'm not positive about that.

And... lastly... I've been walking every day this week at lunch, only about 35 minutes, since that's all the lunch I get, but basically a 17 minute/mile pace. And every day when I'm done my whole body is swollen. My fingers, my ankles, my feet (hurt to put my converse back on yesterday after walking), my legs and my belly. Pretty much everything. I'm not sure if this is hormonally related or not, but it's making it hard to keep up the walking when I feel worse when I'm done! I'll keep it up through this week to see if it gets any better, but when my pants get so tight that it's uncomfortable to sit at my desk after walking... I don't know, just seems wierd to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast