Thread: Saturated fat / leptin / Rosedale page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Saturated fat / leptin / Rosedale

Primal Fuel
    My doctor recommended reading Dr. Rosedale's book "The Rosedale Diet" so I borrowed it from the library. Honestly, I have skimmed it and it is basically a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet designed to make someone more sensitive to leptin.

I am happy that he makes the point that high fat is important. He also says not to eat too much protein (my estimate would probably be around 60ish grams a day...although that seems a bit low to me at 250 pounds).

One issue I have with his book is that he says during the first 3 weeks, you should very much minimize saturated fat intake. I listened to an interview with him where he said it's not a big deal if you eat it, but it might slow things (leptin sensitivity/weight loss) down. His reasoning is that saturated fat is "harder to break down" than monounsaturated fats. Is this true? After the 3 weeks, you can have as much saturated fat as you want I believe.

The reason I'm asking is that I have noticed that excess saturated fats do make me feel less than optimal right now. Is it poor metabolic processing? I was trying to eat higher protein because I feel I process it better...but after reading this, I'm wondering if I should just increase the unsaturated fat.

Thanks in advance.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I think Rosedale recommends not eating much saturated fat in the beginning as a way to get your body to tap into it's own saturated fat stores. Stick to the saturated fats. Better in the long run.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Most all these books are written with the typical American/Western eater in mind. If you've already been primal for a while you're no longer a typical American eater. You could decrease some of the saturated, I wouldn't go increasing unsaturated. If she's saying after three weeks you're fine but you've been eating primal for a while then you're past that... I think.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Most all these books are written with the typical American/Western eater in mind. If you've already been primal for a while you're no longer a typical American eater. You could decrease some of the saturated, I wouldn't go increasing unsaturated. If she's saying after three weeks you're fine but you've been eating primal for a while then you're past that... I think.
    I'm been eating primal, but struggling with fats. Coconut and avocado upset my stomach. Nuts give me heartburn. I don't feel well eating high fat dairy (a little cream in my coffee and some cheese is about all I eat currently). I usually only eat butter and olive oil...and not much of it. I don't like lots of fat in my salad dressing. So, I'm not really sure how to eat.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    I'm been eating primal, but struggling with fats. Coconut and avocado upset my stomach. Nuts give me heartburn. I don't feel well eating high fat dairy (a little cream in my coffee and some cheese is about all I eat currently). I usually only eat butter and olive oil...and not much of it. I don't like lots of fat in my salad dressing. So, I'm not really sure how to eat.
    Maybe your gallbladder isn't releasing bile sufficiently. You could try ox bile capsules or an ox bile-containing enzyme (I like NOW Super Enzymes) before meals and see if it helps: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=ox%20bile

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    I'm in a similar position - what about eating high fat cuts of pork and beef like roasted pork belly and ribeye? And roasting veggies in lard and tallow? That gets my fat intake nice and high.