Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health page 4

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The GAPS diet is like the GFCF diet but more restrictive which is needed to really heal the gut. Dr. Natasha Campbell Mcbride I believe developed the GAPS diet to heal her daughter and many clients with gut related issues. I find that following a primal/paleo diet works really well with the GAPS diet. Looks like you are on your way since you have the 2.5 lbs of beef knuckle bones ready to go. Yummmm. Good luck!

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    @ Balance: Yup, I'm planning on giving GAPS a go after the holidays. For now, I'm just going to try to eat a lot of bone broth to see if it helps at all. The primal diet does seem pretty compatible with GAPS and my diet is already very strict, so it won't be a huge jump. How long did it take for your digestive troubles to abate?

--

I scooped a small bowl of bone broth from the slow cooker and downed it over the course of a half hour. SO MUCH FAT UGHHHH. It was almost like drinking beef-flavored olive oil, but I figured "hey, that must be the healing stuff!" and drank it all dutifully. I took a nap and woke up about an hour later feeling very nauseous and gross, like when I had too much coconut milk. Definitely overdid it, and am sipping on ginger tea right now to stop the wonderful waves of barfiness. I think I'm gonna have to skim the fat from the top or use less fatty bones next time; the knuckle bones had quite a bit of fat on 'em and I left it on. Lesson: learned!

Hands are like ice, and feet are only slightly warmer. Face has a thin layer of dead skin and blackheads, but the inflamed acne isn't bad at all; just one big one on my chin and a few smaller ones scattered about. I've just been washing with emu + castor oil at night and using emu oil in the morning to give my skin a break.

Gonna wait until the holiday is over and then e-mail my doc to see if he can raise my dosage of Armour or prescribe me some T3 to help with the dry skin/hair and cold extremities.

Went for a two hour walk around the pond near my house today. It was snowing lightly and I had a great time just poking around taking some pictures. Photography is definitely my form of "play"; I always climb all over things or get down on my belly when I have a camera in hand, no matter where I am. It's been far too long since I've picked up my camera.

* Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

My bone broth turned to Jello in the fridge. But it liquefies when heated. Magic! I scraped the thick layer of fat off of the top and used it to make seed balls for the birds outside, as I Will Not Eat That after yesterday's fun times. I tried a bit of the broth warm with garlic, salt and pepper, along with some bits of marrow, and it's pretty good! I think I'll try to drink 4-5 cups of it daily.

I think my acne is a barometer of my emotional state, because it's looking OK right now, and I'm doing pretty OK mentally, all things considered. I'm trying my best to ignore it during the day. I just need to stop touching my face. :P

Not looking forward to working tomorrow; Christmas Eve at an Italian bakery = MADNESS.
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Merry Christmas! I had a great day today; lots of family, food, fun, and epic napping. My parents and brother really liked the gifts I got them (yay!), and I got a sweet new pair of sneaks: Vivo Barefoot Dylans.

I love the toe box on these, and how they don't look super-tacky like most "barefoot" shoes. The soles feel thicker than my Chucks right now because I've worn those down considerably, and I might pop out the insoles to make the soles feel thinner. Overall, though, they're pretty durn comfy.

My mom also read my mind and got me my own baking pan, pot and cutting board to go with my skillet, so now I can try the gluten-free thing properly (without cross-contamination like before) as soon as I get out of this bakery job.

Headaches seem to have died off; still there, but much much better. Skin is breaking out in some tiny pustules, but is much more even-toned and healthy-looking otherwise. Concentration and mood could be better- I blame hypo brain.

On a side note, I'm never taking Vitamin C after 6pm again. My dreams were WHACKED OUT last night.

Hey Pixy & friends,
    How's your health journey? I can sympathize. I've been full-on Paleo for 13 months, with occasional indulgences around the holidays and such, but I still have regular breakouts. I used to have large pustules lining both sides of my jaw and cheekbones, my whole face was red and inflamed, with large bumps everywhere- my neck, foreheard, chin. I was miserable! Since going Paleo, most of the red inflammation is gone but I still break out now and then with white whiteheads... sometimes in similar spots on both sides of my face. I can't figure it out! I've been a no-dairy, no-gluten Cavegirl for awhile now... makes me think there must be another trigger. I don't eat rice or potatoes, in fact grains are out entirely. I supplement with Vitamin C, Vit B complex and have just started Fish Oil and Vitamin D.

Any suggestions you have would be great. How'd the coconut oil work out? Also, I'm compiling a list for my blog of additional trigger foods for acne, for those of us who are still having problems.

xo Cara
    primroseandpaleo.wordpress.com

Hi Cara, thanks for stopping by, and welcome to the forum!

As far as supplements go, the ones you're taking are definitely good for acne (though fish oil broke me out in cysts!). I'd also recommend Zinc, Selenium, and Magnesium to try for acne and general health. As far as foods go, if you're already dairy and gluten-free, I'd say the biggest possible culprits for your breakouts could be fruit, nuts, or eggs. Or, if you have some underlying digestive or hormonal problems like I do, you'll likely break out no matter what you eat until you fix those.

The coconut oil was Bad Times; clogged up my skin horribly. BUT my skin is stupid-sensitive. I'm having much more luck just cleansing with emu oil and castor oil at night, as emu oil is the only moisturizer that I'm sure doesn't break me out at all. I'm not getting any big zits, just some little pustules here and there, and more importantly, my face isn't tomato red anymore.

Hope that helps!

--

OMG SNOW. Gonna fight the urge to frolic in it because I gotta get some stuff DONE today!

I made a delicious oxtail soup in the slow cooker with carrots, celery and onions last night; looking forward to warming up a nice big bowl of it for lunch.

I'm looking into dietary treatments for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO); I don't like self-diagnosing, but I was right about the thyroid problems, and if SIBO isn't the cause of all of my weird gurgling and cramping and burping issues, I'll eat my hat. It can be caused by hypothyroidism, too.

<whining>
    I just want to feel like a normal human being SO BADLY right now, and not waste so much time trying to figure out why I feel so crummy. Your twenties are supposed to be a time of exploration, discovery and personal development, and I really don't want to lose mine. It frustrates me that others my age can focus all of their energy on developing a career and a social life, while I have to figure out how to stop feeling like a bloated, crampy zombie on top of trying to find a job and being reasonably active. The fact that I look kind of haggard due to the hair loss, acne scarring and weird yellowy skin color just makes me feel even more worn-down and less-than-enthusiastic about finding a new job and making new friends. Unfortunately, I can't just ignore this and move on with my life.

I'm extremely lucky that my parents buy my food and let me live at home while I'm dealing with all of this, as I don't think I could handle living on my own right now, but they don't seem to realize how sick I feel and probably just think I'm lazy and unmotivated. I hate being so dependent on them for support. I want to be strong and healthy and independent more than anything.</whining>

Despite all of this, I'm not going to allow myself to get discouraged or stuck in a rut anymore. Just gotta keep on truckin'.

I'm in the process of decluttering my entire life right now after getting a manic burst of post-breakup energy and deciding to channel it into something constructive. It's been fun, and I've found that simplifying my surroundings makes me less anxious and allows me to focus better.

First off, I'm getting rid of about 3/4 of the stuff in my room. I simply don't need it anymore, and hate having a bunch of useless things lying around. I'm tossing or donating a ton of clothes, CDs, DVDs, toys and stuffed animals that I've had for far too many years. I'm also going to get some new posters, paint my walls and generally make my room look like a 22-year-old's instead of a 12-year-old's. I've changed so much in the past few years that most of the stuff in my room seems horribly out of place now.

Next stop, haircut and new wardrobe. I put off doing these because of my self-consciousness about my skin, and the fact that I'm poor, but now I have a few gift cards to KOHL's and some cash for a trim and there'll be NO EXCUSES. I pity my poor hair stylist, though; I haven't gotten a trim since last year, and my hair is totally out of control due to my thyroid. Hopefully he can work his magic!

After that, I'll keep up with my game plan to get my health back on track, which at this point includes:
    -getting my thyroid levels boosted
    -seeing the GI doc my primary doctor recommended to sort my gut problems out
    -possible CDSA
    -trial of GAPS or SCD diet
    -raw milk, kefir, probiotics, HCl, mastic gum- all worth a shot
    -exercising more (kickboxing? capoeira?)
    -positive thinking (this too shall pass!)

And since I can't do much for my health aside from those things, I can focus the rest of my energy on figuring out the type of job I want. I need money so I can pay off my bills, get the hell out of this dead city and build a life somewhere more suited to my personality and interests.

Looking back on the past few years, I've realized that this breakup was definitely for the best in terms of my health and sanity. Something about that relationship was sucking the life out of me, and on top of these health issues, acne scarring, and the job hunt, it was too much for me to handle right now. Now that I've finally let go of that relationship, I feel much more able to get my shit together at my own pace and move on with my life on my own terms, and that feeling is very freeing. "One door closes, another opens" and whatnot.

Did the zinc taste test again and still tasted very little of it, after several months of supplementing with 30mg daily. The supplement company probably just put plain water in the bottle to make people buy zinc supplements. Seriously though, I think I'm gonna have to try liquid zinc at this point, because I'm obviously having trouble absorbing this type.

Made an appointment with the GI doc for the first of February; not bad considering my doc said sometimes it's up to a six month wait with her. Hopefully she'll have some ideas on where to go next with testing and such.

Also e-mailed my doc about increasing my thyroid dosage, as my symptoms have worsened; I'm super sluggish, and my hands and feet seem soooo much colder than before. He said it takes thyroid levels about a month to stabilize, so I need to get tested again in two weeks and see if my levels warrant a raise in dosage. At this rate it might take half a year before I get to a good dosage, since I'm only on 1/2 grain now and most people need 3-5 grains.

Basically, I think this is happening (taken from the Stop the Thyroid Madness Website):
    "...patients have found it UNWISE to stay on that low dose much longer than 2 weeks without raising. Why? Because hypothyroid symptoms can return with a VENGEANCE due to the feedback loop between the hypothalamus, pituitary and thyroid gland, i.e your hypothalamus gland senses the addition of desiccated thyroid (thinking the thyroid sent it), then sends a message to the pituitary gland, which in turn sends a message to the thyroid gland to stop producing, making you even more hypothyroid than you began."

Buhhhh I'm so sick of waiting. I'm usually very patient, but I wanna start feeling better NOW.

On a more positive note, my dad is starting to incorporate some Primal Blueprint stuff into his diet. He eats pork chops and veggies for dinner a lot, and puts more coconut and nuts in his cereal than actual cereal. He also has been using butter instead of that nasty Earth Balance stuff. I'm going to cook him something from the PB cookbook once he picks out what he wants, too. Hopefully these little changes here and there will help him lose the 10 lbs he wants to get rid of.

New Year's Eve was fun as usual; I'm lucky to have such a crazy-awesome family. I had a little wine, but no sweets or anything.

Feeling very hypothyroid lately. NEED MOAR DRUGS NOW, RARRR! The constant headache seems to be better when I don't take iron, but it's still there and still annoying. My skin is also beginning to freak out again with some larger inflamed stuff. I have a tube of Finacea waiting to try if it gets really out of control, but I'm just gonna let it be for now. Also getting some inflamed acne on my chest and back, which I rarely get. Hmm!

Thinking about trying to drink some ACV to help with digestion. Stuff's gross, but it's worth a shot since we have some in the house already.

Also thinking about drinking a glass of red wine nightly to try to get whatever bacteria are throwing a little party in my gut to chill out a bit. This study gave me the idea; the findings are interesting!
    https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/handle/10355/5701
    "Our work showed, via in vitro tests, the antimicrobial activity of specific red wines against various foodborne pathogens. This study also demonstrated that red wines did not drastically affect health beneficial probiotic cultures as they did pathogens. The inhibitory action of Barton Merlot, Pinot Noir and Shiraz was extremely rapid compared to Zinfandel and Cherry wine. On the other hand, all four probiotic strains tested survived exposure to up to 80% of each red wine, even though the decrease in numbers was significant from the initial 107 CFU/mL."

I'm finally getting to the point where I'm ready to push on with my life regardless of all of my issues. Aside from all of the cleaning I've been doing, the past few weeks I've been kind of hibernating, just reading and watching movies and going online. I need to force myself to get out again.

Thinking about signing up for swing dancing lessons even though (or perhaps because?) I completely fail at any sort of dancing. The thought kind of terrifies me right now, but I need to get out of my comfort zone again, stat. My goal is to go through a metamorphosis of sorts in the winter and come out stronger and more confident in the spring.

Tried to make coconut pancakes from the PB cookbook this morning and they flopped; broke everywhere and didn't cook through. I think I have to make the batter thinner next time. Also making more bone broth at the moment with marrow bones from Whole Foods. After reading more about SIBO, I'm pretty set on trying the GAPS diet. I just gotta figure out how to approach it.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast