Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health page 12

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    After having read a post on 180 Degree Health about the deleterious effects of excessive muscle meat consumption, I am currently considering the possibility that my change to Primal eating may have worsened my hypothyroid and digestive issues, and am looking to tweak some things to try to improve my health:

1) introducing fruit: probably kiwi or orange, 1-2 pieces per day. I'm worried that it may affect my skin negatively, but it would probably be good for my thyroid (needs more carbs). SCD and GAPS diets are anti-starch (rice, potatoes) but say fruit is OK for the most part, so I think I'd be better off boosting carbs with fruit considering my digestive issues.
    2) dandelion tea: liver support
    3) primrose oil: likely GLA defiiciency, will try a low dose again
    4) more bone broth and odd cuts of meat and organs, less muscle meat

I think that a diet of mostly muscle meat and veggies, some animal fat, butter, coconut oil and berries is not good for me. I felt great for a little while when starting Primal, but have steadily felt more and more lousy and can't figure out if it's due to my heath issues or my diet. Hopefully all I need to do is tweak a few things.

On another note, I noticed that my eyelashes have stopped falling out so easily and my tongue is less swollen/scalloped, minor things that indicate some improvement.
    Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 04-04-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Finished a batch of beef bone broth! My house STINKS now; I think my mother (vegetarian) was starting to get pissed off by the smell. I wish I could find a way to make this stuff without it being so stanky....I'm gonna try making chicken foot broth next because it is high in gelatin and I can get them for cheap at H-mart.

Have been eating one orange per day in the morning, and some sweet potato with each meal. Also drinking 1 cup of dandelion tea per day.

Going to introduce small amounts of iodine in the form of kelp flakes, approx. 500 mcg to start with and then will raise next month. Following Perfect Health diet protocol for hypothyroidism- iodine, magnesium, selenium, zinc- with Vit. C, Iron, B-complex, digestive enzymes and Vit. D for other issues. When my thyroid levels out and my digestion is up to snuff I'll be able to stop the Iron, Vit. C, B-complex, and enzymes; for the moment I'll just have to look like a pill-popper when I take all of these, haha.

Also following Perfect Health recommendation for eating during an 8 hour window during daylight hours to help the natural fluctuation of thyroid hormones dictated by the circadian rhythm. I take my Armour around 8am, then eat from 9-5 or 11-8 depending on my work schedule, the 9-5 being preferable due to daylight hours.

Have been having some success with 1x/day cleansing for acne; skin is much less irritated. Some jawline acne, I suspect from the zinc I'm taking before bed. Hopefully it will stop because if there's one nutrient I need more than anything it is probably zinc. Also got one on my scalp by my hairline (weird). No big deal!
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Been poking around in the 180 degree health archives. There is so much conflicting information regarding different diets that I'm not sure which approach I should be taking, but I like Matt Stone's focus on correcting hypometabolic states, as that is pretty much what I'm in with my thyroid issues I think. All I know is that I have inadvertently been eating low-carb, and it is not doing my body any good. Ketosis gave me horrible breath and B.O., and the energy/body temp boost was only temporary. I need something to crank up my temps more consistently, and I think the carbs from sweet potatoes, rice and fruit will help.

So basically I am doing moderate carb and protein, high fat primal + rice for now, with more bone broth, less muscle meats and more organs (gotta find a good way to stomach liver!) I am actually kind of jaded with the whole paleo thing at the moment, and am realizing that it is not the be-all-end-all of healthy dietary habits, but I think it is a good base for health and will be even better with a few personalized tweaks.

Right now I have chest acne, upper arm acne, and some acne in my hair. I think the dandelion tea is doing something because these are all weird places for acne. Either that or I need to change detergents again...

Went to H-Mart today and got more oranges (5/$2.00 whoooo!), S&B curry powder, wide rice noodles, 2lbs of chicken feet and 2lbs of Okinawan sweet potatoes (SO GOOD OMGGGG).

Noticed my hands warmed up nicely a little while after eating a bowl of rice with butter. I really do think that adding a decent amount of carbs will help me significantly...

This body acne is ridiculous; it is now covering my chest and I have some larger spots on my mid-back area. Face is bad too, but the stuff on my body is driving me crazy. I'm going to have to change my detergent. I asked my boyfriend if he uses a body wash that I might be reacting to, but no dice. Could it be from increasing carbs? Stress?

Despite all this skin nonsense, I am feeling pretty good. Definitely feeling warmer now that the temperatures have increased outside, which is nice. Energy is OK too, and I think my stomach gurgles are dying down a bit. I think the gurgles may be exacerbated by fiber.

Eating liberal amounts of sweet potato, rice and bone broth and cutting back on muscle meat; so far, so good.

Aila is offline Senior Member
    Hey Pixy,

You sound pretty frustrated, and I am feeling for you... I am no expert at all, but one thing I wonder when reading your experiences is if you are giving your body enough time to try out each of the adjustments you are making. It seems like it takes a while for the body to settle out with any nutrients, and if you change things up (especially if you change more than one thing at a time) it is likely going to be pretty hard to hone in on which substance is helpful and which might be causing harm.

I can totally see how frustrating it is to continue to have symptoms you're wishing to get rid of, and so I also wonder about how a really strict, elimination style diet might work for you, with very gradual introduction of one substance at a time. That way, you could know your system is entirely clear, and then it would be really much more obvious what specific things you were reacting to, and how. Just an idea!

Much good luck to you on your continued pursuit of health!
    48 yo single mom
    5'2", goal weight 110lb/50kg
    Healing from a very well-intentioned (but disastrous) near lifelong vegetarianism...

183.0 - CW FIFTY POUNDS RELEASED!
    233 - SW

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Hey Aila,

Thanks for stopping by and for the suggestions! I am definitely working on my patience with my dietary changes; you're right that it's important to give the body time to adjust. As for the elimination diet, I tried something like that for 7 weeks a while ago and had no changes, so I don't think I have any serious intolerances aside from gluten. I'm afraid that elimination does more harm than good by limiting nutrient variety, though something like GAPS might be promising...anyhoo, thanks for the well-wishes, and good luck to you as well!

--

After jumping through several flaming hoops that the insurance company set up, I am now taking generic "NP Thyroid" instead of Armour. I haven't taken it yet because it was backordered, and so I was unmedicated today and WOW I am an emotional wreck. The difference is very stark, so much so that I know the meds are definitely helping my mood. Hopefully this NP Thyroid will work even better than the Armour because it has none of the "microcrystalline cellulose" filler that some hypothyroid peeps complained made Armour ineffective.

Boyfriend got an awesome job that seems like it will involve quite a bit of traveling, which will either bring us closer together or kill the relationship. I am very happy for him because it is literally his dream job, but somewhat jealous at the same time because I'm still floundering around in my hunt.

I've realized that I have long-standing insecurity and self-esteem issues that came from God-knows-where and that are affecting my health as well as my ability to land a job and stay sane in romantic relationships. I am now actively working to overcome these issues since I am more functional than before due to my thyroid meds.

Being ill has made me very self-involved as I had to basically figure out what was wrong on my own, leaving little energy for keeping up with others. Now I need to build stronger friendships and go out more. I am definitely improving, albeit slowly, by being more assertive and generally acting like myself around others, but I still have a long way to go.

In other news, higher carb, lower muscle meat eating is going ok. I haven't exploded or anything from eating too many sweet potatoes or rice yet. :P I also started taking magnesium again and have been having crazily vivid dreams.

Skin is somewhat worse than usual, with new breakouts on chest and face, but nothing too serious. It looks about the same as when I was using Aczone and all I'm doing is washing 2x/day with the LUSH cleanser and moisturizing.

Been eating a lot of almond butter, rice and potato in addition to my typical diet. Also have some chicken feet simmering in the slow cooker right now, which will hopefully make a very gelatin-rich broth. I plugged my food into Nutridiary and seem to be sitting around 100-150g carbs daily, which is where I should have been to start as I am underweight. I think I may even need to go a little higher to gain weight; I am probably not at very good body fat % for a woman, and carbs will help me to add on some fat. It'd be hard for me to eat that many carbs without rice and potatoes, I think. I'm about 50% fat, 30% carb and 20% protein as far as macros go, and will try to keep my carbs up for longer to see what happens.

Feeling more hypo again lately-hands are freezing and I want to nap a lot. Hopefully I'll get my next round of tests this week and raise my dose again. I think I'm almost at the right dose. Also having approx. 1.5mg of iodine per day and will try to eat more seafood.

Trying to exercise more by going for a walk each day and doing body weight workouts a few times a week. Don't want to overdo it.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Pixy, my skin is very sensitive and will react to any topicals, even if the ingredients are natural and botanical. I would cut out the Lush cleanser and go to something really neutral like Cetaphil or Purpose.

Hey aktres,

I'd love to try a "neutral" cleanser, but I'm not a fan of the parabens and BHT in most mainstream cleansers like Purpose and Cetaphil. I also reacted horribly to a gentle "Free and Clear" cleanser before. Still searching for my holy grail cleanser and moisturiser, haha. I don't think the Lush one is making things -worse-. at least...

--

Getting blood work done tomorrow. Asked doc to test antibodies; if they are negative, I will start supplementing iodine regularly.

Hands and feet are uncomfortably cold, and I'm oddly moody (could be PMS though). I wonder if the generic isn't as strong as Armour...or if the starch added to my diet could cause this? My bets are on the generic. I may have to switch back.

Been having a few cups of the broth I made daily. Also eating a white potato each day, and about a cup of white rice. Gonna pick up some Okinawan sweet potatoes tomorrow, I think.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast