Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap supplies from Tesco ? (UK'ers) page

mug2k is offline Member

Cheap supplies from Tesco ? (UK'ers)

Shop Now
    I'm gonna goto tesco as its my best option location wise because I don't drive. I just wanna get a weeks supply of stuff to keep me going. This will be my first prmal/paleo shopping trip. I'm on a shoestring budget because I am unemployed so no organic stuff for me just yet. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

So far I've decided to get :-

3x Tesco Market Value Vegetable Stir Fry 750G (I love this stuff with chicken)
    1x Tesco Mince 500g
    1x Bacon Misshapes (its about 1.20 for 700g, awesome)
    1x Tesco Market Value White Fish Fillets 520G
    2x Tesco Mixed Vegetables With Red Peppers (I'm not sold on this stuff as I find it very bland, what you guys add to mixed veg to make it taste better ?)
    1x Tesco Value Eggs Minimum Weight Box Of 15 (I need some more breakfast idea's that don't involve eggs)
    1x Market Value Sweet Potatoes 800G
    1x Iceberg Lettuce
    1x Tesco Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500Ml

Any suggestions guys and gals (mostly for breakfasts, snacks and herbs/spices) ?. Bear in mind I'm a rubbish cook and have lived off processed crap for a long time.
    Last edited by mug2k; 11-24-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Simon is offline Senior Member
    I'd stay away from the burgers. Make your own from mince. 1 x egg and some seasoning and you're done. Cheapo burgers often have all sourts of undesirable fillers in them. Looks good apart from that. Don't forget to wash the veg as much as possible to get rid of pesticide residue. If you have any more budget I would get free range eggs if you can.

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Forgot to add - check the UK primal group here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

mug2k is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'd stay away from the burgers. Make your own from mince. 1 x egg and some seasoning and you're done. Cheapo burgers often have all sourts of undesirable fillers in them. Looks good apart from that. Don't forget to wash the veg as much as possible to get rid of pesticide residue. If you have any more budget I would get free range eggs if you can.
    Good idea on the burgers, doubly good as it will get me into the habit of making stuff from scratch rather than just heating up. I might also change the eggs to 30 and make the food last 2 weeks.

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    Compared to the sort of rubbish most of the population are eating, I'd say that is relatively OK.

The one thing I would advise against though is the economy burgers - they're probably full of all sort of fillers and not a lot of meat. Go for real minced beef and make your own burgers - it's not really that difficult (as a very basic recipe you could just take some mince and shape it into a burger shape then fry it).

Is it fair to assume that the mixed vegetables with peppers are from the freezer section? I tend to find that frozen vegetables can taste quite bland and watery - if you take the plunge and try preparing some fresh vegetables instead, you'll probably find those a lot tastier...

If you find you have a bit more money to spend on your food, I would concentrate on getting the better quality eggs/meat first then the vegetables

mug2k is offline Member
    I've changed the burgers to mince as per yours and Simon's suggestion.

The mixed veg is definitely bland and not one of my fav's, the stirfry stuff is really nice (with a dash of chicken or beef stock) but I doubt I could eat that every day, well actually I could but I think it would grow tiresome. The reason I go for the frozen stuff is because its alot cheaper and 'keeps' for longer.

Anything else you could suggest ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymoe View Post
    Compared to the sort of rubbish most of the population are eating, I'd say that is relatively OK.

The one thing I would advise against though is the economy burgers - they're probably full of all sort of fillers and not a lot of meat. Go for real minced beef and make your own burgers - it's not really that difficult (as a very basic recipe you could just take some mince and shape it into a burger shape then fry it).

Is it fair to assume that the mixed vegetables with peppers are from the freezer section? I tend to find that frozen vegetables can taste quite bland and watery - if you take the plunge and try preparing some fresh vegetables instead, you'll probably find those a lot tastier...

If you find you have a bit more money to spend on your food, I would concentrate on getting the better quality eggs/meat first then the vegetables

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mug2k View Post
    I'm gonna goto tesco as its my best option location wise because I don't drive. I just wanna get a weeks supply of stuff to keep me going.
    Post-Primal, I'm finding I generally need a couple of visits to shops per week, or one to a shop and one to a market, just because I'm eating more fresh food, and things that are fresh on day 1 are not fresh on day 7. Also, riding the bike home uphill laden with anything up to a stone of shopping is pretty good exercise

Having said all that, if you go for whole vegetables rather than pre-chopped ones, they should keep better (also taste better & hopefully cost less).
    This will be my first prmal/paleo shopping trip. I'm on a shoestring budget because I am unemployed so no organic stuff for me just yet. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

So far I've decided to get :-

3x Tesco Market Value Vegetable Stir Fry 750G (I love this stuff with chicken)
    1x Tesco Mince 500g
    1x Bacon Misshapes (its about 1.20 for 700g, awesome)
    1x Tesco Market Value White Fish Fillets 520G
    2x Tesco Mixed Vegetables With Red Peppers (I'm not sold on this stuff as I find it very bland, what you guys add to mixed veg to make it taste better ?)
    Erm, meat?

Also butter, EVOO... and fresh whole veg probably tastes more interesting to start with.
    1x Tesco Value Eggs Minimum Weight Box Of 15 (I need some more breakfast idea's that don't involve eggs)
    1x Market Value Sweet Potatoes 800G
    1x Iceberg Lettuce
    1x Tesco Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500Ml

Any suggestions guys and gals (mostly for breakfasts, snacks and herbs/spices) ?. Bear in mind I'm a rubbish cook and have lived off processed crap for a long time.
    Just from what you've got there, white fish can be good for breakfast, and so might microwaved sweet potatoes with butter (which you'll also need to buy.)

Snacks... carrots? Mature cheddar? You could do what I do, get a small pot of natural live yoghourt as a starter and make yourself a couple of pints of full fat yoghourt per week. When I was getting started I snacked on that a lot.

Herbs, spices... I would shop around, look for a Julian Graves near you or a health food shop. They're typically way cheaper for dried herbs & spices. Cinammon can be handy if you have sweet cravings, as can real vanilla essence (which costs , though you only use tiny amounts). Fresh - parsley and garlic are a good start. Fresh herbs like parsley can be washed, dried, chopped and frozen.

Things for future weeks to ring the changes - lamb's liver? Other fish, like mackerel? (I just had mackerel fillet for lunch with a salad. Cost 1, and it was almost more than I could eat.) Maybe a chicken to roast? Yes, the chicken costs a lot, but it'll feed you for days and days, and then you have the carcass for stock.

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    I just looked up the mixed veg pack you mentioned and it contains peas and sweetcorn, which are not particularly primal, so you might be better giving it a miss

Anything else you could suggest ?.
    I'd suggest buying fresh cabbage if you like it - one cabbage should do a couple of meals at least. Cut it in half then slice finely and fry it in a little bit of oil.

I do sometimes use frozen cauliflower for cauliflower mash - cook the cauli according to the instructions then mash it up with butter/cream (if you do those) like you would for mashed potato.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Ghee and butter are better for frying in than Olive Oil.
    Fresh veggies not frozen. They keep longer if you put them in the fridge. I find squash is very filling.
    Some kind of hot sauce for added zing in stirfrys (Tabasco or similar)
    I think Tesco do a 100% beef frozen beefburger pack. It's just beef and salt, no fillers.
    Ask the staff what time they mark down the prices of going out of date items, especially the meat. Good for filling up the freezer.
    Hope this helps.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Fresh veggies not frozen. They keep longer if you put them in the fridge
    not on a budget mate...i live off frozen last two weeks before payday. that whole thing about frozen not being as nutritious is rubbish - in fact when they are frozen they capture the freshness. keep something in the fridge for a week and it will leach its nutrients.,

buy buy frozen broccoli, cauli, peas, mushrooms - fill your boots. or try farmfoods for big bags of veggies -they do peppers and stuff too...
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast