Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chest tightness. page 3

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thank you all for the concern and advice. A little update: I went to the emergency room yesterday after what I could have sworn was a gallbladder attack. All blood work and tests came back "normal". CT scan showed nothing wrong with my abdomen or gallbladder. I really hope I was just being a drama queen and they didn't miss something, but I don't know. The experience was pretty painful and most of the symptoms seemed consistent with that of a gallstone. Never gotten spasms from indigestion before either... I'm kind of afraid to eat again and trigger another whatever-that-was.

They wrote it off as indigestion, gave me some special "cocktail" that was supposed to be a miracle for any and all digestive ailments and sent me home with a prescription for Prilosec. The cocktail didn't help much at all, but I told them it did as the pain had kept me up throughout the entire night and I had already spent over seven hours in the ER that day and just wanted to go home. I have a follow-up appointment scheduled with my primary physician sometime next week. My digestion and abdomen are my only concern at the moment due to the severity of the symptoms over the last couple of days, I'll get to everything else down the road.

My mom picked up some magnesium for me, albeit not the best form (magnesium oxide). Hopefully that and the Prilosec will do something. So far, no luck. I just feel incredibly... off right now. Quite disgusting, frankly. Trying not to stress about it and make it worse, I know that's a big problem of mine. I'm very familiar with that vibrating anxiety attack feeling that you mentioned, Zoe. It's a funny kind of sensation, very internal, like your "soul" is vibrating or something. I remember one pretty hardcore anxiety attack in particular where I had started "vibrating" so fast that everything was just one steady hum. I began to have a dream-like, out of body experience as the vibrations seemed to spread from myself. I've never been more convinced that I was dying in my life. :P

So yeah, maybe I can be kind of dramatic. I know my anxiety and stress can push things out of control, but I don't know when it comes to this stuff. There's anxious, a feeling I know like the back of my hand, and then there's outright painful. I really fucking hope I'm just being dramatic.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 12-10-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Oops.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear you're OK (apparently?) Nothing wrong with taking it seriously, don't feel bad for being dramatic or anxious -- and you were in major pain here. It's reasonable to be anxious about, you know, staying alive. Survival is a very primal instinct. ;)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

MaloryVon is offline Member
    Salt! Eat more salt! I recently wrote Mark about how he's underplayed its importance and he says he's going to do a definitive guide to salt soon. I feel you on being pissed off - I almost quit Primal in frustration as well.

I had major palpitations three weeks into eating Primal and on the very day I started exercising. The palpitations lasted about five days before I found enough research to convince me I wasn't getting enough salt. It's an electrolyte that regulates your heart beat. When we eat Primal, we almost never have problems getting enough potassium, which is another heart-regulating electrolyte. But if you take a step back, how much salt are you getting when you eat Primal? When I thought about it, I realized I ate almost no salt so it made total sense I had a sodium deficiency. I started adding salt to everything and within a day or two the palpitations went away for good. Now I know when I need to exercise to make sure I've had enough salt before and after.

When you start Primal, getting enough salt and potassium is even more important since your body is dumping a lot of it with the water weight that comes off fast at first.

noob87 is offline Junior Member

I have experienced this after eating a lot of almonds

This is totally unscientific, so take it with a grain of salt. It took 3 times for me to realize that eating a lot of almonds was the only common thing I could remember when I've experienced this. I went to the doctor the second time it happened, and even though I could feel my heartbeat "skipping" and felt a tight chest, the EKG showed nothing and they sent me on my way with instructions to call back if it didn't get better and they would send me to a cardiologist. Last week I ate half an 8oz bag of raw almonds and the next day felt the same sensation. For me it goes away after a day or two, and I don't get any heartburn so this may not be related to what you are experiencing. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
    I've been experiencing lots of chest tightness and the occasional heart palpitations and "flutters" in my lower throat / upper chest for the last month or two. It seems to have become a daily thing. It's usually just discomfort, I wouldn't really call it pain most of the time, but it is prominent. The tightness usually occurs after eating a big meal or when lying or sitting down in certain positions, and the palpitations are much more common during the bouts of tightness. There is never any discomfort during exercise, which I find curious.

Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem here? Also, I really don't need to be told twenty times to go to the doctor. Please. I know I need to go to the doctor. I'm just interested in hearing what you guys think about this.

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm. Anxiety can produce a boatload of symptoms. However: if you've recently lost a lot of weight, and now you are having gallbladder spasms, knock of the coconut oil, butter and every other form of the beast. Palm oil and any other supersaturated fat---animal fat is fine---will often do the same thing.

Mag, potassium, sodium, chloride all need to stay in balance or you will get arrythmia, but you should have some symptoms during exercise if it is cardiac.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Clearly the poster is already dead since he hasn't responded to this thread that someone
    dug up from 2010.

May we all bow our heads....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123