Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chest tightness. page 2

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A cardiologist could fit you with a Holter monitor for 24 hours -- then you push the button whenever this happens and it highlights it in the monitor's records. Then they can use the data to figure out exactly what your heart was doing right around then.

(I just got Holter-monitored along with an echocardiogram the other day... very interesting process!)

I doubt they'd just say "here take these pills" without lots of testing first, so don't let that dissuade you from at least getting checked...
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    I have had palpitations in the past. Do you have thyroid issues? Do you think it is anxiety attacks?

When I was eating very low sodium I had the worst palpitations, and the cardiologist told me to drink Gatorade everyday. We agreed I could try adding sea salt to my food, and it worked wonderfully.
    Definitely not panic attacks. I used to get those a lot back in high school, what I'm experiencing these days is different. I'm not sure about my thyroid. I definitely have a lot of the symptoms of a messed up thyroid though. Just one more thing on the ever-expanding list of stuff I need to see a doctor about.

I use sea salt with just about every meal. How much did you have to add to your food to see the benefits? I don't use a ton, but I use a decent amount and I'm hesitant to raise it any higher, but maybe that's just old CW fear.

Quote Originally Posted by racingsnake View Post
    I can get chest tightness and heart flutters from food intolerances. Previous long-term palpitations have pretty much been solved by magnesium supplementation.
    I've heard about supplemental magnesium and potassium helping with heart problems. I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Jones,

You have not told us enough about yourself to make any kind of judgments.
    1) How much do you weigh?
    2) What is your Heart Rate & Blood Pressure?
    3) What is your typical diet?
    4) What liquids are you drinking?
    6) Are you taking any drugs?
    7) How long can you jog before stopping.
    8) Do you have asthma or any coughing?
    9) Do you smoke anything?

Best to you,
    Grizz
    1. Yesterday I weighed in at about 164 pounds.
    2. Not sure about blood pressure or my "real" resting HR. HR throughout the day seems to sit around 60 - 75, even during the episodes of chest tightness. I will look into measuring my blood pressure.
    3. Chicken / turkey, fish, bacon, eggs, lots of veggies, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, avocado. Sweet potato on lifting days. Occasional piece of 85% dark chocolate.
    4. Water. Sometimes I'll use coconut milk as a beverage, but not too often.
    6. No prescribed medication. I take a couple of supplements (vitamin D and zinc) and I use recreational psychedelics once or twice a month.
    7. No idea. I'm not a jogger. Back in my chronic cardio days I used to be able to knock out a thirty minute session of steady state cardio without much trouble, if that helps at all (this was about four months ago). Exercise in general has never seemed to give me any problems other than with my knees.
    8. I don't really remember that far back, but I'm told I had bad asthma when I was really young. I guess it just kind of went away. I never have trouble breathing these days.
    9. I used to smoke marijuana, but have stopped almost completely. It makes me way too sensitive to my body, which is a total piece of shit it seems. The only time my testicular pain ever hurts enough to truly worry me is while high. In fact, if I never smoked to begin with I might have never even realized something was wrong down there, but I know something's up when I take a couple hits and five minutes later feel like one of my balls is about to explode. I don't smoke anything anymore, and won't be until I can get all of these problems sorted out.

Those points in your other post seem about right, although I think I started primal around September 10th ~ 15th. It's been at least a solid two months regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Definitely see a doctor (and I'm very slow to recommend that usually).

The other thought I had....weren't you also the guy with the prostate issues? Seems to me that either:

1) You're one unlucky 18 year old, with prostate cancer and heart disease
    2) You have some kinda funky systemic thing going on
    3) You have the tendency to focus on a twinge in one body part and then create a monster out of it. That's a particular issue with heart stuff, because as you get anxious, your body chemistry shifts to produce the very chest symptoms you are worried about.

If a doctor gives you the all clear on the basics, I'd focus on the anxiety piece.
    I know this is more than anxiety. Like I said above, I've had my fair share of anxiety issues in the past so I know what those feel like and this seems different. Plus I've tried all my old anti-anxiety tricks to no real avail.

That's why I'm so pissy about all this. It doesn't really seem fair that I'm seriously worrying about prostate or heart issues at all at this age, on top of everything else that's going wrong with me. But that's life I suppose. I know I need to go to the doctor. But, to be honest, I have some personal issues with doctors. Not just doctors, but they fit in with it. I don't feel like getting into it, and I don't expect anybody to understand, but that's basically where I am with that. I figure it'll work itself out eventually, whether I finally man up at some point and make an appointment, or my problems get so bad that there's no other choice, or I just keel over and die one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
    I have been there, scared the hell out of me enough to go to the hospitol twice!
    first time they thought I was having a heart attack and could come up with nothing, but I finally figured out I had the same reaction after eating things with soy and MSG.
    Recently I have had the same problem but it has been after shedding alot of fat in a short time. Homones are stored in fat cells and the doctor told me it could very well be a 'flush' of hormones that causes the fluttery feeling, as well as hot flashes I am having too. Thyroid problems also cause the same reaction, this can be a pre-diabetic sign as well

His suggestions: eat slightly smaller meals to assure you are not creating an acid reflux type situation, never lie down immediatly after a meal until this problem is corrected, up the water intake a little but not enough to make you feel full before a meal, make sure you are taking enough Vit D3, and getting adequate leafy greens, and continue avoiding insulin spikes
    That makes sense. Would explain why I've been feeling worse and worse the healthier I try to get. I've been steadily losing weight for 2 or 3 years now. I just recently decided to stop focusing on fat loss and start focusing on healing. If that is the problem, I wonder how much damage those hormones and toxins could have done and how long it'll take to iron everything out?

Thanks for the help everybody, I really appreciate it. I'd still be interested in hearing any other ideas about this. I think I'll take Grizz's advice and just stay primal for now and see which direction this goes. If it gets much worse I probably won't have much choice but to get to a doctor.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 11-24-2010 at 05:15 PM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    1) The heart fluttery thing typically indicates a need for more magnesium and/or potassium. Mind you that this is not the same thing as low serum Mg or K but rather simply insufficient Mg and K.

2) The rest of the symptoms are consistent with GERD.

Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
    The tightness usually occurs after eating a big meal or when lying or sitting down in certain positions, and the palpitations are much more common during the bouts of tightness. There is never any discomfort during exercise, which I find curious.
    It's really not curious. What you describe is one of the many common manifestations of GERD. It's not always the burning sensation mid-chest that people most commonly associate with GERD.

Try a few days of prilosec. If it helps, it was GERD. You can manage it probably quite effectively by tweaking your diet

I originally thought this might be some kind of digestion issue masquerading as a heart / chest issue, as the chest discomfort is often accompanied by a "tightness" and light, almost burning kind of sensation in my upper stomach area (NOT heartburn)[/quote]

Yup. Heartburn.

I had my fair share of digestive issues before the chest issues started, and there do seem to be occasions where the chest discomfort will arise whether I've eaten that day or not.
    GERD can be a problem with or without a meal on board

Digestive enzymes and probiotics can help. Also may be worth getting checked for h. pylori.
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-29-2010 at 11:30 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, cillakat. That makes sense.

Back when I was eating the SAD I was struggling with low stomach acid problems, I guess it could be the other end of the spectrum now that I've been primal for a while. I've only had what I thought to be serious heartburn like twice in my life, and I don't remember it feeling like what I've been getting recently, but that doesn't really mean much. Just assumptions on my part. I'll give Prilosec a try and see what happens. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    A cardiologist could fit you with a Holter monitor for 24 hours -- then you push the button whenever this happens and it highlights it in the monitor's records. Then they can use the data to figure out exactly what your heart was doing right around then.

(I just got Holter-monitored along with an echocardiogram the other day... very interesting process!)
    BTDT, got the sticker

Heart palpitations and arrythmias are so often nothing more than mg deficiency so that's a good first option.

Taurine and optimzing Ω3:Ω6 ratios may be helpful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post

Back when I was eating the SAD I was struggling with low stomach acid problems, I guess it could be the other end of the spectrum now that I've been primal for a while.
    GERD does not = excessive acid production. It simply = poor functioning of the lower esophageal function.

Fwiw, my prilosec recommendation is just to help determine what's going on, not as something to take daily (aside from the trial).

K

sharonss is offline Junior Member

Smile

IMO: you're having PVCs - premature ventricular contractions. It's when your ventricles contract before the atria do, which is opposite the normal heartbeat rhythm. The thud or flutter you feel is . . . pause. . . then a normal contraction, which beats much harder after a PVC.

I won't tell you to go to a doctor, primarily because that's not what you want to hear, but also because a doctor will prob tell you that PVCs are never, ever fatal. They are annoying, irritating, energy-sapping, inefficient heartbeats.

Yes, I speak from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sharonss View Post
    I won't tell you to go to a doctor, primarily because that's not what you want to hear, but also because a doctor will prob tell you that PVCs are never, ever fatal. They are annoying, irritating, energy-sapping, inefficient heartbeats.
    And quite possibly...fixable.

K

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Personal experience, zero expertise - I've never had heart trouble at all, except that around the time of my mother's death - ie the biggest stress in my life so far - I had palpitations like you wouldn't believe. As I got myself back together and the weight of responsibility lightened, they went away again.

Moral of this story - if you've experienced major stress lately, maybe this'll go away by itself in time.

redtoycar is offline Member
    If you were one of my friends, I'd be on your ass to go see a doctor.

1. Testicular pain
    2. Problems urinating (remember you from another thread)
    3. Chest pain/tightness and palpitations.

Dude GO SEE A DOCTOR and quit letting Google MD try to solve your problems. I'm worried for your health.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    going to a doctor can't hurt, so go ahead.

about two years ago, my ridiculously healthy husband was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. he was either unhealthy or a drama queen. i knew he was a drama queen. doctors there found nothing. neurologist "healthiest man i've met." cardiologist "i think you make my patients healthier by sitting next to them." Family doctor "built like a brick sh*t house, this one." endocrinologist "why are you here again?"

naturopath: "ah, candida issues." dietary changes, herbal supplementation, mag/zinc, vit c, etc etc etc.
    acupuncturist: "over abundance of damp; too much stress." acupuncture, meditation, continue with naturopathic supplements.
    energy healer: anxiety, stress, prone to catastrophizing. meditation techniques, energy work, stress reduction.

my husband, too, has many techniques for managing anxiety, but until these things all cropped up at once, and he continued to catastrophize them so that they got worse, he was, in fact, dealing with "Raging Anxiety."

his chest wall actually vibrates, and he gets "vibrations" throughout his whole body, odd injuries. but, the candida die off is almost finished, and he is feeling and sleeping better overall. still. he's an anxious fellow.

so, in addition to seeing the doctor(s), perhaps check in with your counselor again (if you had one) for an emotional tune up?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast