Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walkin barefoot is fibe, but standing REALLY hirts. Whats the proper foot position? page

radioplastic is offline Junior Member

Walkin barefoot is fibe, but standing REALLY hirts. Whats the proper foot position?

I have flat feet (or the opposite) im not sure. Ive been walking barefoot for a few weeks. Its going well if i put the balk of my foot first down when walking. But for standing, i just cant stand on the ball of my feet its toi hard so i have to put my heel down. It gets really painful fast. I tried to put my weight on the outside of my feet but that help but doesnt really eliminate the pain.

Whats the proper foot position when standing so your heels dont hurt?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i just walk around, maybe back and forth :/ it's uncomfortable for me to stand still for too long

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Stand with knees relaxed, it will take some pressure of your heels.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i would just put a slight bend in the knees, actually, which should take some of the pressure off. a lot of people "relax" their knees and end up hyperextending their legs, putting their weight back on their heels, hence the pain.

if you are flat footed, go to yogajournal.com and look up the "yoga for flat feet" article by Tias little. it's great, and will help your feet develop an arch.

also, work slowly toward bare foot. it might also be helpful to use scandinavian clogs with wooden bottoms. while standing, they'll support the arch and proper alignment of the feet, but they will work out the foot while walking. do this in addition to some time barefoot and yoga work, and you'll have a discernable arch in no time.

i know this to be true, on account that my husband had flat feet until about 7 years ago, after doing the yoga/barefoot/clog bit.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't figured out how to put the ball of my foot down first while walking. I find it natural when jogging/running. However, with walking, the heel/ball/toe stride feels more natural. Which is "correct"?

Carrie

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you'll find your stride. give it time.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
    I haven't figured out how to put the ball of my foot down first while walking. I find it natural when jogging/running. However, with walking, the heel/ball/toe stride feels more natural. Which is "correct"?
    I'm almost 100% certain that an efficient, natural walking stride involves a heel strike. The opposite is true for running, as you've found out. I don't believe it's possible to walk with a forefoot strike without being inefficient and looking like a fool.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radioplastic View Post
    I have flat feet (or the opposite) im not sure. Ive been walking barefoot for a few weeks. Its going well if i put the balk of my foot first down when walking. But for standing, i just cant stand on the ball of my feet its toi hard so i have to put my heel down. It gets really painful fast. I tried to put my weight on the outside of my feet but that help but doesnt really eliminate the pain.

Whats the proper foot position when standing so your heels dont hurt?
    I used to find both walking barefoot and standing barefoot very uncomfortable. For whatever reason, wearing my VFFs were necessary to be able to transition to barefoot. I still prefer the VFFs but if it's warm enough so that my feet won't get cold (I have Raynaud's) I can go barefoot - standing or walking...for hours.

Another helpful transitiion - for standing - was to have a small stool or chair available to I could prop up one foot then the other. I also prop one foot at a time up on the kitchen counter or bar while standing at the computer. Like I am now. lol

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

eltigabii is offline Member
    yes, heel striking is the most efficient way for us humans to walk around, that changes when we start jogging and sprinting. don't try to walk a certain way, just do what feels natural.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big L View Post
    I'm almost 100% certain that an efficient, natural walking stride involves a heel strike. The opposite is true for running, as you've found out. I don't believe it's possible to walk with a forefoot strike without being inefficient and looking like a fool.
    +1
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast