Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Dessert Ideas for the holidays page

Primal Dessert Ideas for the holidays

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I thought I'd start a thread here for people to post their ideas for primal desserts for the holidays. I've been cooking up some ideas over at my blog, The Cavewoman Cafe for Thanksgiving. My latest is a pumpkin flan that is spiced up a bit with orange and cayenne pepper. It turned out pretty good. Here is the link for it. http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/2...-pumpkin-flan/
    (I wish I could download a picture here but I don't know how to find the URL address. Can anyone let me in on that one?)
    Looking forward to seeing and reading other cavepeople's ideas for the holidays!

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Health-bent.com has some great ones! I've made the pumpkin bars and the banana bread (I'm actually making a batch right now) and both were fabulous. For thanksgiving I'm making a paleo pumpkin pie with an almond meal crust. The pumpkin bars have honey but I used less than the recipe and they were still great.

TheFoodLovers is offline Senior Member
    Hi Dana -

Photo looks SUPERB. Here is the process for getting it on here:

1. right click on photo
    2. select "copy image location" or "copy link location" (both will work)
    3. select the small square icon in the post options that looks like it has a tree in it.
    4. paste code into prompt (with wordpress, which you use, the sizing looks to be appropriate - so dont mess with the code! )
    5. ta-da!

Here is yours, which I went and got so that all can enjoy!

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing pumpkin tiramisu: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot....-tiramisu.html (substitute whatever sweetener you want for the Splenda if you don't do artificial sweeteners)
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primalish Apple Pecan Pie (I couldn't figure out what to sub for the sugar, so I just drastically cut down on it.)
    6 c apples (Jonagold and Braeburns are my preference, Granny Smith'll work if you can't get those), peeled and sliced into 1/4" thick slices
    1/4-1/2c sugar
    3 c coarse pecan flour (give pecans a whizz in the food processor)
    3 tbsp melted butter
    3-4 tbsp brown sugar
    3-4 tbsp of your favorite apple pie spice blend (mine's clove, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg)

Toss the apples in the sugar and 2/3 of the spice blend. Set to one side to allow the apples to sweat and drain. Preheat oven to 425* F. Mix 2 c pecan flour with 2 tbsp melted butters and press into the pan like a graham cracker crust. Parbake the crust for 10 min, pull out out and arrange apple slices in the crust. Discard the excess liquid. Mix the remaining spices, remaining pecan flour, remaining butter, and brown sugar. Scatter over the top of the pie like a strudel. Bake at 425*F for 15 min, then bump it down two 350 and bake for 40 min.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Melody is offline Senior Member
    That flan is gorgeous!

great idea with the pecan crust! I'm going to have to try that!!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you showing me how to do this and posting my picture! Have a great Thanksgiving!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Not really dessert, but I just made cranberry relish sweetened with persimmon. I wonder if persimmon could be used to sweeten other things? It's a delightfully light, sweet fruit that isn't too syrupy or rich. A bit like mango, less sugary maybe.

Personally I don't feel that baked apples need sugar. Maybe throw in a few pears if the apples themselves aren't sweet enough. I also love the pecan crust idea.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I don't think they need sugar either. The sugar is more of a sweating agent, something to help draw the water out of the apples. I try to get rid of as much of the sugar as I can, but I still need the sweating to happen.
    Thanks for the compliments on the pie crust, y'all. I'm a huge pecan fan, so the idea of an almond crust quickly got turned into a pecan crust.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast