View Poll Results: What do you use at the Grocery store?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I ask for Paper

0 0%
  • I ask for Plastic

4 14.81%
  • I have my own bags or boxes I always bring

21 77.78%
  • I have my own bags but most often forget them

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper or Plastic, or BYOB at the Grocery Store? page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

Paper or Plastic, or BYOB at the Grocery Store?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just curious what most people use, my daughter is wanting to start a project (she is 14 and starting to have a business mind) and she is thinking about making designer bags for groceries and picnics and such. We were curious how many people actually use purchased bags
    Last edited by Redflame; 11-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

DIESEL is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like a tough business to get into because it seems to be a bit trendy. Since she's 14 and not having to support a family, I'm sure her motivation is much more than monetary, so I say go for it!! It's great to see the younger generation taking a bigger interest in this sort of thing.
    I've noticed a lot of websites popping up where people are selling their home made goods... don't know any of the top of my head (keep in mind I'm a guy) but I would check some of them out to see if there's other people doing the same thing.
    Coming from a fellow small business owner I wish you guys luck with your endeavor.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Diesel,
    I will support her so she can learn the cost of things, and how to figure in the time etc. Learn to take orders and make things specific to order and follow deadlines, and learn how to market. She loves design and uniqueness. Just want her to get started in something that there is a true interest in so she does not get discouraged right off (that is a lesson to learn later on in the endeavor!)
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

DIESEL is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
    Thanks Diesel,
    I will support her so she can learn the cost of things, and how to figure in the time etc. Learn to take orders and make things specific to order and follow deadlines, and learn how to market. She loves design and uniqueness. Just want her to get started in something that there is a true interest in so she does not get discouraged right off (that is a lesson to learn later on in the endeavor!)
    Proud and supportive momma... that's awsome!!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    There's great opportunity to find a niche - hemp fiber bags with cool designs will sell at local craft fairs, for sure.

I have a couple reusable bags that i love but I quite regularly forget to use them.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Good question...and one I have to answer with all three!

I used to go all paper UNTIL I thought about the trees cut down to make paper bags. Even with paper bags made from recycled paper, there had to be an initial cut down AND use of energy to convert recycled to grocery paper bags.

THEN I decided to go all plastic, especially since those are now recyclable UNTIL I read about all the petroleum that goes into making plastic bags.

NOW I use mostly reusable bags. You can really pack a lot into those things! I do once a month or so, go to plastc bags so that I have a stash for cat litter boxes!

Carrie

lizch is offline Senior Member
    The local health food store has a funny sign in the parking lot: "A bag in the hand is worth two in the car"

Heading off right now on a 2 mile hike through the snow to the store...my reusable bags this time will be backpacks for me and the kids!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

periquin is offline Senior Member
    A choice to use paper or plastic will have little if any effect on the production of paper and plastic bags. Use plastic to ensure that they are disposed of in a ecological manner. Use paper to add to your compost and thereby 'green' the world. No difference. They will be produced. Use whichever strikes the proper chord for you.

A business making shopping bags----First, any business that a youngster starts will be great for learning and maybe make a few shekels. Great preparation for life as an adult. But shopping bags? They sell for fifty cents at the check out counters. I think that a little market research should precede a new business. Maybe the lesson would be to start with market research. Maybe the lesson will be mine---"shopping bags--what a great idea"

Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Regardless of whether people use resuseable bags, most people definitely BUY them where I live. Catering to the guilty consumer is likely to be a successful venture.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Yes, designer grocery totes seem to be quite popular where I am as well! I typically use my backpack for small shopping trips, and include a few canvas bags for bigger trips. I forget them once in a while, but that just gives me a chance to rebuild my stash of plastic bags for cleaning the cat box. Mine aren't quite designer though - more a random collection of various bags I've received as conference collateral or for donating to public radio.

Aside from selling them locally at craft fairs or farm markets, your daughter can also look into etsy.com
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast