Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cant stop the spiral! page

AnthonyU is offline Member

Exclamation Cant stop the spiral!

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, I need some help/advice. I went primal back on August 2nd. Did fantastic until the first week in October. Lost 25 lbs. The I started spiraling down and I can't seem to stop it. I've fallen back in to my old ways eating garbage foods, pizzas, processed foods. I've regained half the weight. The wife started being thing she missed, crunch stuff, cereals, ice cream. Now let me say right here no one even her has been forcing me to eat this stuff. But I need your input and suggestions here on how you guys have halted these spins. Thanks, Anthony

croí is offline Senior Member
    I'm right there with you! These first few weeks of November have really gone down for me. And I'm starting to gain weight.. help!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You’ll get some mixed opinions on this, here’s my take:

There’s no way to stop eating garbage than to just do it. You said it yourself nobody is forcing you to eat a certain way, you make that decision every time. Some will say you’re addicted, and sure, junk foods are supposedly as addicting as heroin, but withdrawal from these won’t make your life nearly as miserable as heroin withdrawal would.

My opinion is you shouldn’t make yourself a victim to your food addiction (which may or may not be an actual physical dependency, why not try to believe it’s not even if it may be?) and just sit there eating slice after slice because “you’re addicted” you simply have to stop. Turn off the valve. Stop eating bad shit. Do it right now.

Arm yourself with good healthy primal foods, if you aren’t a good cook start learning, make your healthy foods flavorful, you should WANT to eat this instead of pizza/etc, not look at it as bland runny, soggy unappealing “healthy” food that nobody wants to eat. I don’t think anybody on this forum is eating things they don’t like. I used to hate eating steamed veggies and chicken breasts, so I would always stop and go back to eating whatever unhealthy stuff I was eating back then. Nowadays I really look forward to my meals because they taste awesome. Even now that I’m kind of eating lower fat (not using butter at all, but cooking with coconut oil so might be eating just as much fat) my meals are tasty but in a different way. Sometimes when I’m making something that I think may not be too tasty, I just add bacon. It’s nuts how that fixes everything, that and hot sauce.

Don’t frequent the spots that make you eat bad stuff, but even if you have to, just be mentally strong and eat something else.

Are you familiar with the marshmallow test? Scientists would put kids (literally children) in a room with a marshmallow in front of them and they would tell them if they didn’t eat that marshmallow for 20 minutes they would get to eat 2 marshmallows as a reward. Some kids obsessed over the marshmallow, picking it up, smelling it, playing with it, and eventually eating it before the time was up. Other kids just ignored it, they sang songs, played in other ways, maybe did touch the marshmallow, but they didn’t seem to fixate on it and they didn’t eat it.

So, be a good kid and don’t fixate on the junk, that way you won’t be nearly as tempted to eat it. Don’t even acknowledge that it exists, put yourself in the mindset where all that’s available for you to eat is a primal menu, which, if you don’t know this already, is as big and diverse as you want to make it. The food combinations are endless. Go explore.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Get back to 100% Primal. Prep out a week worth of your favorite Primal dishes. Add extra fat. Eat, eat, eat, but make it the healthy stuff. The good stuff. Eat bacon! This isn't all about weight - this is about what's healthy and what will make you feel the best. Food is fuel - do you want Premium or dog piss? Get off your butt and find Primal substitutions for foods you are craving. There's nothing that can't be BETTER made Primal. You can do this!!!
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    This is exactly what happened to me last year at Thanksgiving.

It was MONTHS before I could regain solid ground underneath my feet.

It's SOOO not worth it.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, here is what can work for you:

1. Keep coming back here to MDA every day, even if your food is total garbage and you are bingeing your brains out.
    2. Go for a short walk outside every day, no matter what. No excuses. Look up at the sky and the trees and b-r-e-a-t-h-e.
    3. Strive to get just one meal a day clean and primal (for me, it was dinner). Don't worry about the rest at this point.
    4. Take your vitamins and drink lots of water.
    5. 5-HTP and an amino acid complex will stop bingeing cold in its tracks.
    6. Take quiet time each day to meditate, journal, and breathe.
    7. Eat bacon. (No, I am not kidding.)
    Last edited by TigerLily; 11-23-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Damn, I can't find the Henry Rollins bit on not eating processed foods, he was bashing fast food primarily but he said: "Your body is a Ferrari, why you would treat it like an old beater is UNBELIEVABLE to me!" then says you should always eat healthy food. He also has a GREAT article on how lifting carried him through high school and stuff.. but that's a different thread.

Treat your body right people!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Or you could get a divorce.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

croí is offline Senior Member
    Already working on that! It's finalized tomorrow. LMAO! YAY!!!

batty is offline Senior Member
    over the summer, i had an overwhelming urge for pizza that i thought i wasn't going to shake. i went down the street to a local pizza joint, stuck my head in their dumpster, and inhaled.

haven't felt the need since.

failing that, i am in total agreement with iniQuity.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast