Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Morning Blood Sugar page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Morning Blood Sugar

Shop Now
    been tracking my blood sugar again, mostly to try and understand glucose clearance rates and Peter @ Hyperlipid's physiological insulin response & the dawn phenomenon, coupled with Stephan @ Whole Health Source's idea that high fat diet induces insulin resistance in lean people and they should maintain a higher carb & protein diet...

i think thats my case. my fasting glucose is usually in the 80's...then i eat...wait an hour, take it again, usually upper 90's or low 100's...then i usually lay around/watch tv then go to bed took it last night before bed and it was 110...woke up this morning and my blood sugar was 130!!

WTF!? WHY is my blood sugar so high in the morning???

to my understanding, it is something to do with cortisol and insulin resistance...but i would like some advice. 130 in the morning is not a good reading. anyways, this is what i ate yesterday, between 1-9pm.

i drink coffee in the morning and am thinking of giving it up, maybe it will help? i can switch to yerba mate so i dont just come crashing down as i do have to hold a job lol

its not everything i put in my mouth i had tomatoes, green/yellow squash and dip(avocado/cilantro/sour cream) while i was cooking but i didnt know what to enter for it

2264 calories
    58% fat (145g)
    32% protein (192)
    10% carb (65g)

Mollusks, clam, mixed species, canned, 1 3 oz 125.8
    Egg, whole, raw, fresh 100 g 143.0
    Broccoli, raw 2 cup chopped 61.9
    Mushrooms, portabella, raw 1 piece whole 21.8
    Seaweed, kelp, raw 6 2 tbsp 25.8
    Beef, , roasted 0.7 3 oz 100.6
    Chicken, meat only, roasted 0.75 173.2
    Cream, sour, cultured 0.25 cup 111.0
    Spinach, raw 3 cup 20.7
    Brussels sprouts, raw 12 sprout 81.7
    Butter, salted 2 tbsp 203.6
    shrimp, mixed species, raw 20 medium 127.2
    Fish, mackerel, jack, 0.8 cup 237.1
    Fat, beef tallow 1 tbsp 115.5
    Cheese, cheddar 4 oz 457.0
    oil, coconut 2 tbsp 234.5
    Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened 2 tbsp 24.6

97% vitamins, 99% minerals

i take http://www.carolbond.com/Super-Vita-...ets-P1053.aspx that multi vitamin, NOW krill oil & Vita D

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    How is that for detail!

My thinking is that since you are eating less than 100g of carbs there is no local storage in the tissues that use glucose as fuel. As you sleep your liver makes and stores glucose. In the morning the liver is stimulated to release the glucose into the blood to prime the tissues for the rest of the day.

If after a meal BG is not even 100 then there is obviously no IR issues.

Problems with IR arise after chronic elevated levels day in day out for several years. Not for 30 min in the morning.

Actually I am not even sure what your worry is?

hahaha thank you....me either thats why i asked

what i am wondering is why my blood sugar is higher in the morning

so coffee is okay in the morning still even if i have a high blood sugar?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I tracked my glucose for a while (I ran out of strips a few weeks ago) and it seemed to run higher than I would have thought. High 80s-90s in the morning, would usually stay at morning level all day, and then 90s- low 100s post prandial. Morning glucose was slightly better when I stopped eating a few hours before bed. I usually skip breakfast and lunch though, so I ended up doing warrior diet style (one meal a day) pretty much... which I am still pretty much doing.

I never tested my meter against a blood draw, so that would probably be a good thing to do, just to make sure you aren't worrying unnecessarily.

I read the post on Peter's blog about IR induced by eating high fat (specifically palmitic acid) and how this is pretty much necessary for low carbers. I didn't read any similar posts by Stephan. Care to share the link?

Maybe you could try eating higher-carb/lower fat for a few days or a week and see how your glucose responds. Best of luck in your journey to improved health (great results so far, by the way!) and keep us posted.

well if theres nothing wrong with my readings then i shouldnt change right? but you say yours is in the 80's-90's in the morning and thats what mine is before eating, but not the morning

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know. 130 in the morning is still pretty high. If it doesn't happen again then I wouldn't worry about it at all given your other numbers. You said it's normally in the 80's fasting right?
    I know for me I used to get pre-diabetic numbers fasting and post prandial but my fasting was never over 125. Things that make it higher in the morning for me are eating late at night, especially protein, (Your diet was pretty high in protein yesterday), and not drinking enough water.
    When I get numbers above 100 after dinner (like 2 hrs after) then I will go for a 10-15 min walk which drops my blood sugar considerably and it also makes my fasting # better the next morning. Don't know if that would help you but give it a try!

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    To me it makes perfect sense that people on a low(er) carb diet may have higher BG.

People who eat lots of carbs have tissue that is jam packed with glucose. Muscle, liver, organs, all have the glucose stored that they need and there is more on the way. There is no need for Glucose to be in the blood in fact it will cause damage because it has no place to go. For somebody in the 100-50 g carb range there is not enough to store and the brain is still using glucose as it's primary fuel. Therefore, there will be a need for the liver to release glucose into the blood to fuel these tissues especially in the morning. There is no danger because the glucose is not sitting around causing damage. It is actually being used as intended.

Now if your morning BG was 130 and after a meal it was 180 and you never dropped below 100 then I would worry. However, that is simply not going to happen on 60g carb a day.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    One simple suggestion: take multiple readings, possibly with more than one meter, to be sure that your glucose reading is accurate. I own 2 different meters (ReliOn Confirm and ReliOn Ultima) and for the past few weeks I've done occasional double-readings with both meters, and I've personally noticed that for some reason the readings can vary widely for my early-morning readings, but are generally within a few points of each other later in the day, when my glucose levels are lower. (I, also, have a very similar situation to yourself -- normal postprandial readings (~105 or lower), but typically very high early-morning readings.) One morning, I was horrified to see my reading at 135! So I did several more redundant readings from the same drop of blood, and got values of 112, 94, and 125. Not sure why there is such inaccuracy for the morning readings; maybe the higher glucose levels make the readings less accurate.

Here is a related MDA thread that might be of interest to you, in case you haven't seen it yet:

Fewer grains/sugar = higher fasting blood glucose?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...her-fasting-BG
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 11-23-2010 at 09:15 AM.

i checked a couple times and it was in the 130's... its been like that every morning i have tested. poop

but chima_p what you say makes sense if thats how it works!

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it does make sense that people eating low carb would have higher BG readings fasting. But not that high. From every source I've read "higher" means 90's- low 100's as opposed to 70's or 80's fasting which is what I've read might be truly normal. Chris Kresser just did a post on this. But, being in the 130's on a consistent basis I don't think is normal even for low carb. The only way to tell for sure is to eat more carbs for 4-5 days straight. Try not eating too late at night and limit protein a bit as well. If the numbers don't improve or get worse then you may want to go to a doctor, endocrinologist if you can. I'm sure you probably just have to tinker with your diet a bit and it will resolve though

Kate- I got horrible readings too when I was using a ReliOn meter, they were all over the place. I don't really trust that they are accurate. I'm using a Freestyle now and I get consistent readings when done back to back. The ReliOn meter also gave me higher readings than other meters.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast