Thread: Ketostix and me page

Izzylu is offline Senior Member

Ketostix and me

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been reading and reading about this lifestyle and as much as this is about my health, let's face it, I would love to be lean and muscular as well. Gave up the scale, been primal for 6 weeks (99.9%) and have been reading about the ketostix to see if your in the zone. I'm eating over 100g of protein, under 100g carbs and lots of fat so why am I in the negative on ketosis. Any ideas? I probably shouldn't worry about it but I'd sure like to be in that ideal spot! And yes, I peed when I first woke up so so water or food for eight hours. I figured that would be the truest reading right? I'm fumbling through this...
    Strong is the new Skinny!

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    You likely have to be well under 50 grams of carbs a day for a few days to go into ketosis - especially if you haven't been there before.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    You may or may not be "in ketosis".

All the sticks measure is the amount of ketones that you are secreting in your urine. It doesn't mean a thing. You could be in ketosis and using all of the ketones you produce for energy, in which case you would not be secreting any becuase there are no extra to get rid of. You could have extra and be secreting most of them through sweat or your breath and very few in your urine.

Or you could not be in ketosis.

Seriously, don't waste your money.

Acmebike is offline Member
    Chasintrail has it right all the way around! I will register dark purple "heavy" ketosis on ketostix on the first day or two of going ultra low carb, but after that initial period, I can eat zero carb for weeks and never register on the ketostix. Tissues/organs get good at using the ketones, no excess is spilled.

Thank you. As always, very informative. I just won't bother.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I can turn the little sticks light pink if I'm < 85g carbs

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    You likely have to be well under 50 grams of carbs a day for a few days to go into ketosis - especially if you haven't been there before.
    Yes, this.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

I've said this before, the beauty in this program is that my compulsive side does not kick in. Therefore, I need to loose the ketostix and just know that I'm doing all I can. I've been recording for the past two days just to make sure my protein is high enough and my carbs are low enough and I think I'll even stop that now and enjoy my life. What's not to enjoy when your eating bacon and butter? Thanks for all your input.

goatmeal is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acmebike View Post
    Chasintrail has it right all the way around! I will register dark purple "heavy" ketosis on ketostix on the first day or two of going ultra low carb, but after that initial period, I can eat zero carb for weeks and never register on the ketostix. Tissues/organs get good at using the ketones, no excess is spilled.
    It sounds like Ketostix are most valuable in monitoring when one's body enters into ketosis but after are pretty much useless.