Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: herbal coffee? page

optimumhealth is offline Junior Member

herbal coffee?

Shop Now
    I have recently been looking into Teeccino, the herbal coffee. It claims to be caffeine free and less acidic than coffee. Any thoughts on if this is primal or not? It is roasted like coffee, but one of the ingredients is barley. Would the extracts from the grain produce problems?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I've never heard of it. It took a while to find the ingredients

It does have chicory, which is good - I was going to suggest that anyway.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    How serious are you about eschewing grains?

Barley is a grain.

No condemnation here since I take coffee once in a while.

Sometimes I go for a coffee substitute made from garbanzos, a nasty legume. Don't hate me for that either.

Chicory is always good and easy to find in the wild. Bitter taste to get used to if you don't mix something with it.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I exercise early in the am in a fasted state and only have some coffee to get me ready to go. In order to cut down on the acids hitting my empty stomach, I began cold brewing my coffee, which is said to significantly cut down on acids and caffeine.

I can post how I go about it if anyone is interested.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I have some in the cupboard for a treat for the kids. It's gluten free and tasty.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Setabas View Post
    I exercise early in the am in a fasted state and only have some coffee to get me ready to go. In order to cut down on the acids hitting my empty stomach, I began cold brewing my coffee, which is said to significantly cut down on acids and caffeine.

I can post how I go about it if anyone is interested.
    I also cold-brew. Excellent! You can make hot or cold coffee in a snap. Plus it's way less acidic. I also believe it removes some of the caffeine, but I'm not sure how much.

ShannonPA-S - Do you have regular brewed coffee as well or do you just stick with the cold brewed version?

Sometimes when I have eaten breakfast I'm ready for a slightly harsher hot brewed version.

Feliciak is offline Junior Member
    I would love to know how you cold brew?? Ive ment to look into it but forgot about it after we bought a nespresso machine!

How to Cold Brew Coffee

If you're an espresso fan (as I am), cold-brewed coffee is not a replacement. For me it's just a pre-workout drink that I enjoy, it gets me going and sits well on an empty stomach.

Here's how I make it:
    • Scoop 4 ounces (weight) of ground coffee into a pitcher large enough to hold 32 or so ounces.
    • Pour in 4 ounces (liquid measurement) of pure water into the coffee and stir until it mixes in and looks like wet mud. Do not put more water than that, just keep stirring until it finally mixes.
    • Pour in 16 ounces of water.
    • Let sit for 24 hours away from the heat of the stove (etc.). It isn't kept cold, but it shouldn't be subject to heat.
    • The next day, pour the mix through a strainer into another container (similar to the other one). I have a metal seive that works well. After it's dripping has come to a stop (5 minutes or so), push down with a spoon to squeeze the most out of it.
    • Let it sit in the second container for a while so that particles can settle. Clean the first container.
    • Slowly pour the mix from container 2 back to container 1 being careful to leave any sediment.
    • Then pour into a water bottle, or something and refrigerate. I use a 16 ounce Gatorade bottle.
    • When you're ready to drink, put in 1 part of this coffee and 3 parts of water. Heat in microwave, etc. and enjoy.

This method actually makes a coffee concentrate which lasts a couple of weeks if refrigerated. Also, you can play with the ratio of water to coffee when you're ready to drink. I find that 3-1 (as mentioned above) is my favorite, but others might like it stronger or weaker.

Sometimes I mix it with cold water and ice for a quick iced coffee.

JaneReedy is offline Junior Member
    There is a new herbal coffee alternative called Ayurvedic Roast which I've personally liked better than Teecino or Pero. It actually tastes like coffee, and is all organic.

They put in some ayurvedic herbs into it which are supposed to help keep you relaxed and focused and improve immunity too.

It is here if you want to check it out: herbsonline.net.au/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast