Thread: dfast's 72 Hour Fast page

dfast is offline Member

dfast's 72 Hour Fast

Shop Now
    Hi all.

This will be a short journal thread, documenting my first 72 hour fast.

I guess a bit of background is needed to explain why I'm embarking on this mini journey. It started last week with a bit of a 'heavy' weekend with my friends; drinking, very non-primal eating (and a lot of it). Anyway, that same week I also got my third tattoo so I've not been able to fulfill my lift heavy urge for a while either. All of this, combined with the really grey and cold weather that's been pushing it's way into Britain over the last few days has meant that I've gained a few pounds and have also developed a taste for frosted mint hot chocolates on my way home from work (unfortunately I don't think my one hour of walking a day even makes a dent in this indulgence...).

Now, I'm a big fan of fasting - I often complete 48 hour fasts and always feel better for it (I usually fast from dinner to dinner anyway). The toughest part for me is always the first 24 hours, specifically when I get home that first evening. I figured, since it is 72 hours that I'm aiming for, it would be helpful (and interesting?) for me to document my thoughts and feelings throughout the process - perhaps it will help me develop a bit of resilience, especially as the holiday period is approaching and my office is starting to fill with cookies and cakes.

So, rules:

1. Water, tea and black coffee only.
    2. Minimum one hour of walking per day (I do this anyway as I walk to and from work but it's occasionally tempting to jump on the bus...)
    3. The fast ends on Thursday the 25th of November at 5.45pm (GMT). I started fasting last night, so I've already been going almost 13 hours.

Onwards!
    Last edited by dfast; 11-23-2010 at 01:06 AM.

dfast is offline Member
    So, my 'breakfast' for today:

It's the best coffee I've had for a while. I recommend anybody living in central London to visit their shop; http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/.

Feeling fine so far. Still full up from yesterday (chocolate hazelnut cake...crème brûlée latte...cherry almond muffin...yuck). I am fully expecting my cravings to kick in as soon as I get to work. Part of the reason is that I work in an office with no windows or natural light. I notice that as soon as I get to work and settle in to the office, I start craving sweet foods. I've been in this job almost a year and it's definitely been a lot harder to resist running to the cafeteria to buy chocolate.
    Last edited by dfast; 11-22-2010 at 10:58 PM.

dfast is offline Member
    Just had a quick shower; 60 seconds of hot water followed by 90 seconds of very cold water. I love the warm feeling I get after cold showers.

I'll be using my iPhone to measure how far I walk over the next three days - I'm always interested to see how my perception of distance translates. Also, even though this fast is NOT about calories, it's fun to see a rough estimate of how much I burn. I use this app: http://www.abvio.com/walkmeter/. It's very good.

So far today I've had two cups of black coffee and about half a litre of water. I feel bloated from the rubbish I ate yesterday.

dfast is offline Member
    Now at work. I walked for 32 minutes and 15 seconds, 1.96 miles and supposedly burnt 134 calories.

As I expected, the cravings have begun. It's quite cold outside and the smell of cinnamon buns as I walked past the coffee shops on the way in was very upsetting! It also doesn't help that they've recently opened the 'Cologne Christmas Market' along the South Bank, and they have (hot) German mulled wine...which I did have yesterday. SO good. Lots of other bad things as well, which I'm trying not to think about.

Simon B is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfast View Post
    It's quite cold outside and the smell of cinnamon buns as I walked past the coffee shops on the way in was very upsetting! It also doesn't help that they've recently opened the 'Cologne Christmas Market' along the South Bank, and they have (hot) German mulled wine...which I did have yesterday. SO good. Lots of other bad things as well, which I'm trying not to think about.
    Hi dfast, whilst i have no element of fasting yet i too have to walk through Brums "Frankfurt Market" between train and bus on the way home - I am seriously thinking of changing my route as a) pedestrian traffic grinds to a halt and it takes twice as long to fight your way through people / buggies etc, and b) those smells!!

Stick with it!!

dfast is offline Member
    The smells are certainly a big part of the fight! The market on the South Bank smells amazing. There are actually a few things I could eat there - beef, pork dishes etc...unfortunately yesterday I was attracted to the Pick 'n' Mix and the Churros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro)!

dfast is offline Member
    I'm definitely not in a working mood today - can tell that it's going to be 'one of those days'. I'd usually use this as an excuse to eat junk but not today. It's funny, I do view food as entertainment. This is something I definitely need to fix.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'll be keeping a close eye on this dfast! I can easily do a 24 hour fast, but haven't yet to try even a 48, let alone a 72. I think the most I've gone (not on purpose) was 36 or thereabouts.

I often thought it'd be best to set yourself up for a long fast with a good nutritious meal, which you didn't, but oh well!

Do you read "The Lean Saloon" ?? If you don't already, it might help: http://theleansaloon.com/ Johnny is a poster here, though not a very active one, but he's got good stuff regarding "turning off the valve" when it comes to eating, and setting yourself up in a mindset of "I'm just not going to eat..."

I guess the key is sort of pretending that something isn't there? That's what I'm doing with whole30, I'm trying to live as if dairy, sugar, grains and alcohol are just not available to me and I have to eat other stuff that is readily available. Harder in your case of course, but it might help to use your mind to your advantage.

How much coffee do you typically drink? I think if I were to fast for longer than 24 hours AND drink coffee throughout that could be a recipe for disaster. My caffeine tolerance is going up, but I'm still a one-cup-a-day dude, anything more than that in less than an hour and I get very anxious, it kind of sucks.

Maybe I'll attempt a 48 hour fast sometime in my whole30. Best of luck to ya!

dfast is offline Member
    Yes, I'd usually set myself up with a nutritious meal but unfortunately the last few days have been a bit of a disaster.

I do read TLS, yes, and that's very much what I'm trying to do right now, 'turning off the valve'. It's a good way to describe it and also a good thing to remember - for me right now, food does not exist!

I love coffee and used to regulary drink ten (yes, ten) cups a day. I'm down to two or three now. I find it makes fasting easier for me, as it's one 'pleasure' I can still indulge in. I've fasted with water only plenty of times but it is a lot harder for me to stick to.

Thanks for the good luck!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey dfast, how did it go?